Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Info - F41 'Fray Bentos'

ericthornton

I have no date for that photo I'm afraid. But I would think it must be winter 1917/18. I have the Boadicea photo and can post that if it helps.

The tank knocking down a tree is the very extensively photographed F13 Falcon II.

Gwyn

Just looked at the film clip - and thanks for the reference Centurion, I'd not seen this as film before. However I have seen stills. There are actually two pieces of film spliced together either side of the caption and they show different tanks. The first is F13 Falcon II again. The second is C14 Culloden II.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn. Would you mind posting the photo of Boadicea please? I will try and upload the photo of F41 in January 1918 when it was demonstrated to the Swedish Military Commission.

Robert

Sorry - I've found the Boadicea picture (i.e. the pic of Fray Bentos with Boadicea's unditching beam) is too large a file to post. Robert, if you particularly want to see it PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it.

Gwyn

Thanks for checking, Gwyn. The photo might be of interest to others. I can shrink it down for posting here. Will PM you. Meanwhile, I am travelling so can't post the photo that I have.

Robert

Family relatives of F41 Fray Bentos tank crewmen and other tank crew relatives are attending a Tank Corps Ceremony in Poelkapelle on October 9th.

This is the anniversary of D Battalions disasterous 8 tank assault into the Village.

Please see here for details http://www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

Chris.

Gwyn,

Thank you for forwarding the photo. Here it is:

post-1473-050744900 1286225147.jpg

My photo is the same tank but from a slightly different angle. 'F41' is clearly visible. I will post it once I get back home from this trip.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...