Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anson Battalion royal naval division

orm1

Wecome to the GWF

There are some similarities. It could be JC S-W. He was T/Lieutenant not Lieutenant Commander as you state. The divisional history (Jerrold . p.89) records S-W as OC 'D' Coy of Anson at 'X' Beach during the landings (and Lt Cdr G Grant as OC 'C' Coy). I have been unable to confirm from other soources.

The image of S-W returning from action is from "At Antwerp and The Dardanelles" by Rev HC Foster, Chaplain to the ANSON's 2nd Brigade. It might be expected, therefore that the image would be correctly captioned. However, Rev Foster later incorrectly identifies S-W as " Lieutenant Commander Warwick" in the text (p.129), so he is not entirely reliable as a source.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you for your guidance, horatio2. Much appreciated. On 10th November 1914 London Gazette has him as temporary Lieutenant Commander. Is that what the T stands for? Is the Jerrold the go to reference book for RND? I have the front page of Daily Sketch with photo. Perhaps, Foster provided the photo?

Edited by RPea
additional thought

35 minutes ago, RPea said:

On 10th November 1914 London Gazette has him as temporary Lieutenant Commander. Is that what the T stands for?

I consider the LG entry is in error. Both his RNVR record (ADM 337) and his RND record (ADM 339) show his 1911 entry as a Sub Lt and promotion to T (Temporary) Lt on 25 Oct 1914. The ADM 337 record amends an entry for this date from "Lieut Commdr" to "Lieut temp" so there was a change of mind about the type of commission. he was to serve under. Any Temporary rank would be given up at the end of hostilities.

I now see his earlier LG entry was cancelled two weeks later - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28984/page/9690

35 minutes ago, RPea said:

Is the Jerrold the go to reference book for RND?

Yes. A good overview of  the RND 1914-1919. On this link -   https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.523461/mode/2up  or available from Amazon -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074V9NQPH/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1     or on the pre-owned market - "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrrold. 

Edited by horatio2
add LG reference

Thank you, again,horatio2. V. interesting about the mistaken type of commision. What do you think the chances are that the company commander in the photo of Anson "C" company at Blandford above is JCSW? I'm curious as I'm writing a biography of his mother and there are family few photos. Have sight of a handful of letters he sent home April to May.

There is one more question I would like to ask, if you don't mind. Newspapers record JCSW was wounded between April  25th and 8th May. Where can I find the information about his wounds?

19 minutes ago, RPea said:

What do you think the chances are that the company commander in the photo of Anson "C" company at Blandford above is JCSW?

Looks more like Sub Lt A.W. St. C Tisdall to me.

17 minutes ago, RPea said:

Where can I find the information about his wounds?

The Army Form B.103 (summarised on his ADM 339 RND Record Card ( https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7279665 )) shows his being wounded on 29 Apr 1915. The wound is categorised as VIII-1. This means a "Gunshot wound of upper extremities - simple flesh contusions and wounds (slight/severe)". He returned to duty on 8 May, so probably a slight wound, and he may not have been evacuated from the peninsula for treatment but kept in a field ambulance.

See - https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/274975-gunshot-wound-ix-1-meaning/?tab=comments#comment-2799440   Post #7.

26 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Looks more like Sub Lt A.W. St. C Tisdall to me.

Could well be. The Blandford image must date from early December 1914 or later by which time S-W was a Lieutenant. The platoon officer in the photo would have been a Sub Lieutenant.

A.W. St.C T was commissioned at the beginning of October 1914.

My father had a portrait of him hanging in his house, its now on display in RBL Downs Branch (Deal, Kent). That's why I recognise the face.

Edited by KizmeRD
Added remark.

Is it possible to tell which landing during 1st Battle of Krithia John Spencer Warwick would have been involved with and thus where he was wounded?

Edited by RPea
typo

The 1st Battle of Krithia began 28 April and involved no "landings", which were three days earlier. Anson Bn was not involved in the battle (only the Drakes were involved), being employed as beach parties at this time. S-W may have been hit by a 'over' bullet or shrapnel but there is no record. Anson Bn recorded only one rating k.i.a. on 28 April (killed by shrapnel fire).

Edited by horatio2

Thank you, horatio2. I have just been reading a letter he wrote to his sister on 25th May, ten days before he was killed. It seems he was transferred to a hospital ship where his things were stolen and then on to a rest camp which was being shelled while he was "resting".  He was writing to his sister while in a dug out and included a sketch of himself. He is expecting to go up to the firing line the next day. He also made a couple of sketches of HMS Elizabeth.

Edited by RPea
typo

Thank you Horatio2. Jerrold records that J S-W received DSC after events 25 - 28 April at Helles. I can not find this confirmed. Wher can I go to confirm, please?