Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anson Battalion royal naval division

orm1

Can anybody help with information on this battalion, my gt gt grandfathers brother James Malia was in the Anson battalion and won a CGM at Gallipoli I have quite a bit of info on James but would like to know more about the Anson battalion and the battles it would have been part of?

Thanks.

The divisional history "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold (available in reprint from Naval and Military Press) should be your first stop. Leading Seaman Malia's courageous part in the landings from the RIVER CLYDE is recorded on p.87 (although his award is wrongly described as a "Good Conduct Medal").

Hello orm1

Anson battalion, composed originally of Naval reservists surplus to the requirements of manning RN ships, served throughout the war in the Royal Naval Division, which was numbered 63rd in July 1916. After a brief involvement around Antwerp in autumn 1914, the division went to Gallipoli in April 1915, was evacuated to Egypt at the end of that year, and went to the Western Front in summer 1916. It remained there for the rest of the war.

If you go to "The Long Long Trail" website, using the link at the top left of this page, you will be able to see a potted history of the division. "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold has been reprinted within recent years and you should be able to find a copy through your local library.

Good luck!

Ron

The RND was not "evacuated to Egypt" at the end of 1915. From January to May 1916 they provided garrisons on the Aegean islands and also a contingent at Salonika before transfer to the BEF.

Orm1

I wonder if I might I ask if you know whether or not your gt gt grandfather was wounded on 4th June 1915?

My own grandfather was also wounded on this day whilst serving with the RND,

however my reason for asking is an attempt to identify the author of a letter, a copy of which appears in the book 'Verses, Letters & Remembrances of Sub-Lieutenant Arthur Walderne St.Clair Tisdall, V.C.' first published in 1916 and subsequently in 1992 by the N & M Press.

The letter writer shows an intimate knowledge of Tisdall's service at Gallipoli, but in the book he is identified only by his initials. These are given as TM; however it would not be the first time that a 'J' has been mistaken for a 'T'.

The letter writer describes himself as being wounded on 4th June 1915. I know that your gt gt grandfather was wounded sometime during the campaign*, but was the date the 4th June?

* This is mentioned in Stephen Snelling's book 'VCs of the First World War Gallipoli' (page 61)

regards

Michael

Michaeldr

James was my gt gt grandfathers brother, I have some information that I was sent from Rotherham library I asked for info on Martin Malia another of my gt gt grandfathers brothers who was killed in 1915, because of the unusual name they told me that they info on a James Malia and that they both worked at Rotherham Main colliery, they sent a photo of James at a parade in Rotherham, an article from the local paper which mentions that he was wounded but there is no date for the article, and also an article from Deeds That Thrill The Empire in which the action is described with a ink drawing of the scene. I am going to send of for James' service record from the national archives this week I will pass on any info that might be useful to you if you like. If I could ask you what the letter briefly says I would be grateful.

Thanks

Orm1,

I realize that this is quite long-shot, and I thank you for going along with it thus far.

As requested, the following is the letter written by T(?) M

"On April 24th we embarked on to an old tramp steamer, the River Clyde, on which they ran us ashore at Seddul Bhar. The British troops started to land at night, through which hundreds of men lost their lives and a lot got wounded. On this account our brave officer, Sub-Lieut. Tisdall, and the commander of the ship, dived off the ship and rescued a good many of the men that were lying on the beach. After he was exhausted and got back, he would not be beat, so he asked two or three men if they would go with him to the beach in one of the small boats and fetch back some of the men that were unable to help themselves in any way. They worked for many ours under very heavy shell fire from the forts, for which he got his well-earned honour. On April 26th your son's platoon landed in the evening to do outpost duty, and our officer was very brave, and looking after us all the night. On April 27th the British troops ran short of ammunition, so he volunteered to take six of us up to the British firing-line, heavily laden with ammunition under very heavy fire. While we were sheltering from the heavy fire from the enemy, he would not stop, but went straight forward and got back two or three hours before us. On May 6th the Naval Division got orders to make an advance, which we did, and advanced about a mile. When we got nicely settled in the enemy trench, your son stood up on the parapet of the trench looking for the enemy, but was not there long before he was shot through the chest, and he never said one word. We put him away as well as possible, and on June 4th I was wounded myself."

If you would like to share here the pictures which you have of James, then I am sure that they would be of especial interest to the members of the RND gang on the GWF

With best regards

Michael

Michael

Thanks for posting the letter, very interesting. The one thing that I would say about the letter is that he describes the actions as they worked for hours and not we. On the pictures I will be glad to post the pictures of James I'll scan them on the weekend.

Thanks

Hi

The attached may be of interest to you, a platoon of C Company Anson Battalion, three different types of cap tallie are worn, ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, RND and ANSON.

Regards

John

post-27843-056821200 1284670892.jpg

Great photo John, would you happen to have a date attached for that picture.? I am particularly interested in the weapons the lads are displaying at the front - nice shot with bayonets fixed.

Cheers, S>S

Orm,

There is a short summary of RND and operations here that I have found useful-

http://www.iprom.co.uk/archives/caithness/63rdrn.htm

I recently read A.P Herbert's "The Secret Battle". He served in Hawke Battalion (I believe) and although the book is fictional, it is based on events he experienced. The first part of the book is concerned with Gallipoli. His description of conditions there are worth reading.

Scott

Michael tried to attach the stuff I got from Rotherham got error file too big I will email you copies if you like you will probably have more luck attaching them than I will.

Thanks for the photo John and thanks Scott for the information very grateful.

Regards

Shane

John,

Many thanks for adding that photograph which I note that you cautiously term "a platoon of C Company"

however the officer certainly bears a striking resemblance to the pictures which I have seen of Tisdall VC

Would anyone like to comment on the likelihood that some of these men were with him and Malia on the River Clyde?

Judging by the huts in the background I would also venture the guess that this was taken in either late 1914 or early 1915 at Blandford

Shane,

Looking forward to seeing your e-mail

Regards

Michael

Just searching through the forum for sub-lieutenant Tisdall and one post says he was in command of 13 platoon D company is this correct and does anybody think that the men that volunteered to help on the river clyde would have come from this platoon or would there have been that much chaos that they could have been from any company or platoon?

Following on from Shane's post (quote - I have some information that I was sent from Rotherham library ... because of the unusual name they told me that they info on a James Malia and that they both worked at Rotherham Main colliery, they sent a photo of James at a parade in Rotherham, an article from the local paper which mentions that he was wounded but there is no date for the article, and also an article from Deeds That Thrill The Empire in which the action is described with a ink drawing of the scene.)

These are the items which Shane got from Rotherham and which he has asked me to post here on his behalf.

One from the magazine Deeds That Thrilled the Empire.

TisdallMaliadrawing.jpg

One from the Rotherham Advertiser 22/4/1916,

MaliaRotherhamAdvertiser22Apr1916.jpg

In case the newspaper text does not come out clearly then this is what I understand it to say

"In the list of naval honours issued by the Admiralty yesterday and published this morning appears the name of Leading Seaman James Malia, KP 760, who has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, which distinction ranks next in merit to the Victoria Cross. In the list only three men have this high honour conferred upon them.

Leading Seaman Malia is a Rotherham man, and his home is at 83 Nottingham Street, where his wife and four children reside. He was born in the town and worked at the Rotherham Main Colliery up to the time of enlisting along with a large number of other local men in the Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division, in September 1914. Reference has frequently been made in the columns of the 'Advertiser' to the magnificent work done by these men in the Royal Naval Division, particularly at Gallipoli.

They were at the ever memorable landing at 'V' Beach, and it has been claimed on behalf of Seaman Malia, that he was one of the first Britishers, if not the first, to reach the shore.

His heroism, of which his friends who witnessed it have spoken, has not gone unrecognised by the authorities as shown by their award of the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, the first such honour to be gained by a Rotherham man.

Under heavy and accurate fire, Malia, with the late Sub-Lieutenant A. W. St.Clair Tisdall R.N.V.R., who is awarded the Victoria Cross, went to the assistance of some wounded men on the beach, leaving the transport 'River Clyde' by jumping into the sea and pushing a small boat in front of them for the purpose.

It is officially announced that owing to the fact that Sub-Lieutenant Tisdall and the platoon serving under his orders were on detached service at the time, and that this officer was killed in action on May 6th, it has only now been possible to obtain complete information as to the individuals who took part in this gallant act.

Leading-Seaman Malia has been wounded, but is now back with his battalion."

and the photo is of a parade for Rotherham Heavy Battery, Effingham Street, Rotherham, 18/4/1916. The details that came with the photo were that the sailor is James Malia awarded Conspicuous Gallantry Medal at Gallipoli, the soldier is Signaller Clements awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal.

MaliaCGMandSignallerClementsDCM.jpg

If you would like to share here the pictures ........ then I am sure that they would be of special interest to the members of the RND gang on the GWF

With best regards

Michael

This probably isn't the picture that you had in mind, but as you mentioned above you may find it of some interest ..... (hopefully.!)

The attached is a Patt.88 bayonet similar to those displayed in the group photo posted earlier - in fact it could well be one of those. This example is marked to the RND with the italic letter N and on the other side a weapon rack number 899. The RND took the long Lee Enfield rifles fitted with these bayonets with them to Gallipoli. This one has been marked out of naval service in 1916 (when the RND became the 63rd division in BEF ranks) and carries the '16 date of re-issue, as the RND were then re-equipped with the SMLE rifles for the action in France.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-089251000 1284763836.jpg

Quote from the Rotherham Advertiser above – "In the list of naval honours issued by the Admiralty yesterday and published this morning appears the name of Leading Seaman James Malia, KP 760, who has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal...",

If the number quoted above is correct, then it is a little unusual in the RNVR

Quote from – http://www.fleetairarm.com/en-GB/royal_navy_royal_marines_services_documents.aspx

ROYAL NAVAL VOLUNTEER RESERVE

Engagement Ledgers for the following categories:-

• RNVR Divisions (Bristol, Clyde, London, Mersey, Sussex, Tyneside and Wales) pre-war Divisional Companies and wartime entry ‘Z' ratings.

• ‘Kitchener's Army' entrants to Crystal Palace/Royal Naval Division (RND) (‘KP',‘KW' and ‘KX' ratings).

And indicates that in the first instant, Malia in fact volunteered for the army, but he was transferred to the RNVR within a few short days.

regards

Michael

This is the best that I can do (as a non-techi) for a comparison of the photograph of the officer in John's post #10 above, and a known photograph of Sub-Lieutenant A W StC Tisdall VC, RNVR

Has my enthusiasm overcome my judgment once again? :whistle:

AnsonPlatoon-1.jpgAnsonofficer0001.jpg

Hi a close up of the man, could well be him.

The photo came with two others a group of four marked C Company and a portrait of the Company Commander.

post-27843-060949200 1284806271.jpg

Thanks for posting them for me michael. On the subject of the man on the group photo being Tisdall it does look a lot like him and maybe its me being hopeful but the man on the middle row 4th from the left looks like the photo of James Malia in the parade photo.

Got James record today:

3.9.14 York & Lancs. Regt. 10.9.14 R.N.V.R.

10.9.14-1.11.14 2nd Battn.C.P.

1.3.15. Recd.D/O.Anson. Promoted to Act.L.S. between 20/27th Feb.1915.

2.11.14 On Nominal Roll, Anson Battalion.

21.5.15. Wouded near the Dardanelles (RND List No. 49)

7.5.15 W.o Report, No. 22674. Admitted to 1st Australian General Hospital, Heliopolis, Egypt on 12th May, 1915."Bullet wound in shoulder".

11.6.15 N.O.K. informed.

4.7.15 Granted Provisional Hurt Certificate.

5.7.15 Rep rec :Admitted to Haslar Hosp. on 1.7.15. (Gallipoli. 7.5.15) N.O.K advised 9.7.15.

6.7.15 Discharged for duty.

4.10.15 Certificate & Hurt Cert.sent to O.C.2nd Res Battn Blandfd.

24.5.15 Daily Orders.No.15.G.S.W.R.Shldr.Fracture.(Severe.

6.5.15 Admitted to Aus.Gen.Hos. Cairo.16.5.15

12.7.15 Recd Bfd Do.42-7.7.15Taken on strenght of "B" Co.7.7.15.

8.3.16 Recd D.O 8, 18.2.16. (Anson) Invalided to England date not given. (G.S.W. Shoulder)

6.4.16 RND/C4378. To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

15.4.16 Serv.Cert.(Hurt Cert.enc.) sent to C.P. for notation of RND.service & transmission to SCO. Blandford.

194.16 Camp Order No.333. Conspicuous Gallantry Medal presented by Camp Commandant 23.4.16

17.5.16 Recd D.O 23. 3.5.16. (Anson) Awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal. vice Div.Order NO> 430 of 20.4.16

Theres to more pages I could put them on if anyones interested thought post might be too long. A couple of questions about the record so far what was at Blandford ? and what was a hurt certificate?

Regards Shane

Shane,

Blandford was the training camp and depot of the RND. The first units began arriving there in November 1914 and left for the Dardanelles in late February 1915. I think that I am correct in saying that Blandford remained the base depot of the RND throughout the war; hence James Malia was sent there after his release from Haslar Hospital.

The hurt certificate was more correctly a "Certificate for Wounds and Hurts" issued by the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. This single sided piece of parchment gave details of the man, his unit, the place and date of his wound, the nature of the wound and (most importantly) whether he was 'Sober' or 'not sober' at the time. The certificate would usually be signed by the man's commanding officer and counter-signed by the medical officer. As you have seen, the grant of this certificate was deemed important enough for it to be noted on the man's record

The action of 6th-8th May 1915 was the Second Battle of Krithia, for which the British OH has this to say "...the 2nd Naval Brigade had been ordered to remain echeloned in the rear of the French left, but about midday, noticing a wide gap between the French flank and Kanli Dere, Commodore Backhouse ordered Hood supported by the Anson, to fill it by joining in the advance. Good work was done by these battalions, and by a small party of the Howe attached to them, and at one time the Hood had made substantial progress towards the left of the French objective. But considerable casualties were suffered....."

Though it is very difficult to tell, I am inclined to agree with you regarding the man 4th along in the middle row of John's photograph

regards

Michael

Thanks again Michael.

Here is the rest of James record:

8.3.16 A.F.B103 received. (6.5.15. wounded Dardenelles. G.S.W right shoulder, fracture severe. 12.6.15. To Australian General Hospital, Base, Mustapha. Invalided to England. Authority:- A.G.R.M. -3.1.16 Serving with 2nd Reserve Battalion, Blandford).

12.6.16 Med. His. sheet sent to SCO Blandford.

7.9.15 D.O.92/2nd.Res.Battn: (Anson) Returned from Division, On leave,14.9.15.

10.5.16 D.O/131.(3rd Res) Trans to 2nd Res. Battn.frm 3rd .10.5.16.(C/892)

31.10.16 D.O/62. Late Anson Trans from 2nd Res Battn;1.3.16. as per camp order No.297.(3rd Res BATTN.)

17.117 D.O/17a (Command Depot) Lent to Lyndhurst Bombing School for Bombing Course 16.1.17. (27.1.17.(A/5670)

29.1.17 D.O/29, (Command Depot) Returned from Course of Bombing at Lyndhurst.

17.7.16 3rd Res.Bfd .DO.193.Lent for farm work 17-22.7.16.

25.7.16 2nd Res.Bfd.DO.200.Returned fm.farm-work 22.7.16

19.2.17. D.O/50 (Commanad Depot) Rated A/P.O. 16.2.17. A/5670.

22.10.17 Drafted to Anson Battn.B.E.F. from 3rd Res. Bn.B'ford.(B).

26.118 Anson Do.7. To 150th Field Ambulance 13.1.18.

8.2.18 DO.10.Rejoined Unit fm, 5, CES. 25.1.18.

19.3.18 Anson 20.Severely reprimanded 7.3.18. Neglect of Duty.

15.5.18 Anson 34. Posted to Depot Battn. 7.5.18

14.6.18 Anson 41.Rejoined Battn.from Base Depot

4.7.18 H/A256?6(1) Adm.6 Gh Rouen 24.6.18. Influenza.Sev:AFB/10480a.

6.7.18 H/A25678.Adm 2 C on Dep Rouen 29.6.18. Influenza.

4.7.18 Anson 44. Adm.148th Field Amb.23.6.18.

25.9.18 HA/29143. Dis to Reinf. Calais C1"A"ex 2 Con.Dep.16.9.18.

26.9.18 Anson 65. Joined L.Inf.Base Depot, 19.9.18.S.

9.10.18 Anson 69. Rejoined Unit from Basee, 25.9.18

16.10.18. Anson 72. Wounde, 8.10.18. 1318.

22.10.18 NOK Infd. (Also C/1717) RND.Lt.No:

17.1018 HA/30149 . Adm 4 GH.Dannes Camiers 10.10.18 GSW.L.Arm.Mld.NOK.Infd. 22.10.18.

21.1018 HB/14989 Adm.Cambridge Hosp.Aldershot 14.10.18 SMO informed.

22.10.18 Anson 74.Invalided,13.10.18 GSW.Left Arm. 25.10.18

6.11.18 AFW.?016 recd. Furlough.3/13.11.18. Class I

8.11.18 Recd.AFB/103, 24.10.17, emb Folkes.disemb.Boul; 25.10.17, jd.BD CAl; 29.1017, to unit; 14.11.17, jd Anson:

2.12.18. Form forw. to SCO>A' shot.

27.12.18 AF Z 10& L1. recd.Demobilised 24.12.18. Northampton.

11.1.19 W.G Crt to A.G.9

23.12.18 DO/357, (2nd Res Battn, , Proceeded to Dispersal Stn.Ripon, for demobilization, 23.12.18. 28 pounds and 10 -Rating shown in this DO as P.O.

18.118 DO18 2nd Res.Battn.TO Demob. Furl.p.m 24.12.18 DAte of discharge p.m 21.1.18 (Rating shown in D.O, as P.O.) Awarded annuityof 10 pound

18.3.19 Appoth.for CGM. gratuity fws.Act>Genl.

5.9.19 Trace of service passed to MOP. 25.9.19. Trace of service passed to MOP.

I can get most of what it says some questions I would like to ask is what would the bombing school have been (Grenades?) and what does it mean he was lent? Was doing farm work common?And anything interesting that an untrained eye might have missed?

Thanks Shane