Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gravesite in St Days, Truro.

RNCVR

I wonder if any of our readers might live near St Days, Truro & could look up & possibly photograph a gravesite for me??

He is not a Great War casualty - he died 26 Oct 1928, aged 85.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan(in Canada)

Guest J.Woodward

Bryan, my parents live near Truro and I expect to visit them in the next month or so. I realise that this may be a bit wishy-washy as far as timing is concerned but if there is no immediate rush I would be happy to visit and photograph the grave for you,

Cheers

Joe

Thanks Dave, Joe, & Kath for yr responses. I do apologize for the rather slow response, have been away for a few days, & am somewhat behind in corresp.

First off, its St Days, Truro UK. The mans name is EDWARD BOYCE. He died 26 Oct, 1928. He was born 26 Oct 1844, so it appears as if he died on his 84th birthday.

He was former K.O.S.B. then after going to pension he served another 27 yrs in the RN!

I have his obit from the Borderer's Chronicle, & it only says he was buried with full military honours at St Days, Truro. So I dont know what cemetery he might be buried in.

Anything you can locate Joe or Kath would certainly be appreciated & of course at yr convenience, certainly no rush by any means!

Please let me know if you require any further info, & again apologies offered for slow response.

Many thanks,

Bryan

Ive got to do a wargraves survey this month and have to visit the grave sites in Truro so If you want me to look I can do

I think it might be a little village called St. Day nearer to Redruth than Truro, is that possible?

If so, I might be able to get a relative to set up a search mission....

Cheers,

Michael

post-19-1087231742.jpg

Sorry, the image is s....t!

Ill try again...

post-19-1087231859.jpg

Guest J.Woodward

That's the place! It's famous for being the site of the local refuse tip, just follow the signs - indeed it has been said that the tip is St Day's most outstanding feature :P

Hey Joe,

So my sister is going to end up on a pile of ****?

Taking photo's there?

And so am I as coming wednesday I'm flying over to Newquay to visit her in St Agnes so I'll beat you to it to help our Canadian pal out.

Any specific directions around the pile of s... towards the cemetary, is there only one, or am I asking to much? :P

Cheers,

Michael

Guest J.Woodward

Happily my experience of St Day is limited :D

However it isn't exactly a teeming metropolis and I rather expect that the grave will be in the local churchyard - as far as I can remember there is only one. To get there from Newquay drive towards Redruth, you join the A30 - Cornwall's Motorway! - at Chiverton Cross roundabout. Just follow the signs for St Day just after the Chivvy roundabout.

And watch out for the **** :P

Good hunting

Joe

Thanks mate,

I'll just follow my nose and if you read about a pile of******up the A30,

I probably found it. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks you Kath, Perce, Joe, Michael for your efforts on my behalf. & also for the map. It looks something like Mapquest I imagine. Been away for couple days so just picked up on yr replies.

Yes it is St Day - I have an article that mentions Edward Boyce's Golden wedding celebrated at ST DAY. Also another article mentions the Redruth area. I would think both Mr & Mrs would be in the local St Day cemetery but I have no idea if there might be a headstone or not & it may not have survived but if any of you might be able to get a couple shots of either the stone or the cemetery that would be appreciated.

Hopefully no one will get sidetracked at the local dump!! I'll take a pass on a phot of that - we have many of those in Canada!

I'll try to post a shot of Edward Boyce if I can,

Again chaps thanks very much!!

Bryan

Here is a photo (& not a great one either as its a copy) of Edward Boyce & Mrs Boyce taken at their Golden wedding anniversary.

Thought it might be nice to see a pic of who it is you are looking for!!!

Bryan

post-19-1087392323.jpg

& here is a photo of Edward Boyce when he was serving in the Admiral's Band at Devonport.

His medals are - Canada G.S. (FR 1866), Afghanistan 1878, & Naval Long Service medal.

Bryan

post-19-1087392562.jpg

Thanks for this site Kath, I would definitely say thats the place.

It appears as if he does not have a headstone, there is no info under the one BOYCE listed, only the CIP (Cornwall Inscriptions Project) number of 361.

If thats him, of that I am not sure.

Bryan

Is there anyone in Cornwall who can see if a library has the Cornwall Family History Society booklet of St.Day monumental inscriptions for Bryan ?

Kath.

:ph34r:

Hi Everyone,

In ten minutes or so a recce in the direction of St. Day is on!

Keep your fingers crossed..

I'll post as soon as we have found the target and photographed it.

Cheers,

Michael

GOOD GRIEF!!! :huh: What have I started??? A race?? DONT GET A SPEEDING TICKET PLS!!! & try not to run headlong into the local tip! :P

It does not appear as if you are going to find a gravestone Michael in light of the info Kath has turned up on that St Day Cemetery website. However, do what you are able, I am certainly appreciatiave of all yr efforts to assist!!

I await yr result.

Best....

Bryan

Hi there Bryan and all others,

Bryan you're a pessimist and I'm a stubborn s...t

We found the church which has no roof etc, no longer in use as...

Nice lady there trying to raise money for restoration and she pointed us in the right direction among the graves by number.

Indeed number 361 is Boyce so we started searching....and got thoroughly frustrated as we couln not fing him amongst all the brambles etc.

Took about a half hour, my sister went back to the gravesnotice and wrote down names who had to be surrounding Boyce, my brother-in-law found the year range and I found the other names. Still zilch...

Untill Sis and I realised we should turn the grave numbers upside down and that 361 could'nt be exactly where it was supposed to be, but at a slight tangent from the others.

Bingo! We found him, indeed no headstone and only his last name. After using our machetes photos were made by my sister. So here a few be:

Cheers,

Michael

post-19-1087658330.jpg

The grave itself is rather a sad affair, one wonders why or what the circumstances were when he was buried.. :(

Michael

post-19-1087658564.jpg

There are more photos, let me know off post whether you would like me to send them via Internet or snailmail, whatever...

And sorry Kath, I forget to say, you were spot on, clever detecting!

Cheers once more before I get drunk :D

Michael

Well Michael, as the chorus girl said to the sailor ....."ain't that special!!" ;)

You & yr sister have done one magnificent job - its great to see a plan come together!! By all means send more photos via e mail (PM them if you wish) & I sure would appreciate if you might send me copies via air snail post - I'll PM you my address - also I need to know what I owe you - am into town Mon & can get some £ then - PLEASE permit me to send you something so you & yr sister can have a few on me next round!!!

Think the Boyce perimeter stone has probably aged quite a bit in time, perhaps in '28 it looked quite good. Maybe there was a headstone at one time, who knows??

From what I read on the website Kath sent, it apears as if the St Day cemetery is in poor shape with many stones missing & the church is even worse - so I am quite surprised you were able to get what you did!

I am VERY grateful to you & also kudos to this forum for making this possible!!! :lol: