Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Australian Imperial Force

pompeyrodney

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in and let everyone see who we're talking about. This is an cut section of a photo from the AWM that I've enlarged.

Tim L.

Hi Tim L

Many thanks for the cut down photo, I have the full size digital version and have been playing around with it blowing it up so to speak. It comes out pretty good even on normal paper. Thanks also to Blackblue for his recent post and also Auimfo ? for the post about the letter for sale on e bay, will take a look and maybe bid on it, thanks again everybody.

Jules P

For those who might be interested my grandfather lived until 1976 after losing his wife a few months beforehand. He would never talk to my father about his experiences presumably because it was simply too painful emotionally for him. If anyone has any stories to tell about the battles the 8th battalion fought in I would love to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

How come this thread has gone stone cold ?. I had hoped you good people would manage to provide some more info as i would like to find out at what time my grandfather got his battlefield commision. I personally think it would have been at Gallipoli but your advice would be appreciated. Was it common that this happened and please explain how it was initiated. I believe a personal WW1 diary of my grandfather is available so I shall see what I can find out. I reckon that would be a very read.

Regards

Jules P

Jules,

If you obtain his service papers from National Archives as I outlined in the first post I made these should tell you the date of his promotion.

Being commissioned in the field was not unusual in the AIF. Some of our greatest soldiers started at Private and finished the war as officers...Albert Jacka and Harry Murray (both VC winners) are excellent examples. Usually this occurred due to officer casualties and men simply being promoted to fill these positions. In many instances they were unable to send candidates off on an officers course and many were simply promoted from junior NCO rank and commissioned in the field. Obviously the men being commissioned would usually be from amongst the best soldiers/junior leaders.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Tim

Many thanks Tim for your reply. I have recently received an e mail telling me that the service records I requested are not available at the moment as the records are being digitised. I am told I sholuld check back at regular intervals until when I search for my rellies record it turns up after the digitisation has been done. Basically it looks like I shall have to wait quite some time before I will get the details I am after. I guess there is no other way to get the info I am after is there Tim ? :rolleyes:

Jules,

The National Archives is the central holding of all service papers. Even if you write to the Army they refer you to NA. NA are usually quite quick at accomplishing this sort of thing so hopefully it won't take too long.

Regards

Tim

• 15 years later...

BlackBlue,

"Summary: Officers and men of the 8th Battalion taking shelter behind a pillbox during an 'area strafe' at Railway Wood, in the Ypres Sector, whilst returning from the line. Identified, sitting at left, back row: Lieutenant (Lt) J O Pitt; Captain A G Campbell DSO. Front row: Lt T W Johnstone MC; Second Lieutenant P Lay MC DCM MM. Standing, left to right: 7150 Lance Corporal (LCpl) H J Gray, resting on shovel (killed in action 18 December 1917); 2936 Sergeant (Sgt) J T Pinchen MM; 2778 LCpl L A Scouller MM, behind Pinchen (killed in action 26 August 1918); 1111 Sgt J R Jorgenson; 6728 Pte R M Cullen. The soldier whose head can be seen top left is unidentified."

I think the AWM is incorrect here.  This is a posed picture of what i believe are the Officers and men of the 8th Battalion that had been recommended for gallantry decorations at Broodeseinde on 4th Oct 1917.
They are certainly NOT "taking shelter",  and the construction behind them is not a Pillbox!  A tent thing maybe or perhaps sleeping accomodation.

The soldier leaning on his rifle is my Great Uncle,  Sgt L.G. KITTLE,  MM.  You can see the canvas protection wrapped around the breech of the rifle,  and the 'sling' attached to the barrel.

The African seems to me to be perhaps a French Colonial soldier,  perhaps seconded to the 8th Battalion for batman duties or somesuch.

Edited by Old Codger
typing error

7 hours ago, Old Codger said:

The soldier leaning on his rifle is my Great Uncle,  Sgt L.G. KITTLE,  MM. 

Welcome to the forum Old Codger

Just in case you haven't yet come across it - you might be interested in seeing the colourized version of the photo that includes your G/Uncle Kittle - on page 27 of this amazing 'thread' that followed on from this one in 2005:

Cheers, Frev

Not my description mate! Feel free to write to the AWM f you have evidence otherwise. I’ve had a number modified. 

Tim D