Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Australian Imperial Force

pompeyrodney

Does anybody please have any info regarding the Aussie forces during the Great War as I would be very interested if any other forum members know of any relatives in the 8th AIF. My grandfather was apparently a Corporal one day and a 2nd Lieutenant the next due to the number of casualties at Gallipoli. At some stage I know he was shot by a sniper which took out his rigth elbow and caused him to have an 18 month stay in Hospital but I know not where. I would be very interested to hear any stories relating to the Aussies. My grandfather apparently worked his ticket to Australia as a 16 year old and thus joined up with the Aussies instead of the Brits. Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance to anyone who responds. Cheers.

Guest dinkidi

G'day Pompey

Everything you will ever want to know about the 8th will be "findable" at, or from links listed on, www.gov.au

A good starting place there is the actual battalion resume under Infantry WW1 Units. By merely clicking onto the references link at the end of that entry you will go to the data base with 000's of photo's etc. There will also be many leads in the Bibliography & "Shopping" lists.

From their red & white colours, the 8th were dubbed "Blood & Bandages". The mini - series ANZACS now on DVD is woven about an 8th platoon and draws from incidents from a book of that name by Patsy Adam Smith & Breaking the Road by

W.D. Joynt , VC of the 8th.

You may be able to draw some parallels, hopefully not too many, between your rellie's experience and "Liam's Story".

By following the Archives NAA link from AWM you should be able to draw his personal file, but dates of enlistment, discharge etc will appear on the Nominal Roll & Embarkation lists,etc

What else do you intend to do over the next couple of years?

ooRoo

Pat

Look at the Australian War Memorial Website in Biograhical Databases.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/biographical.asp

Try the WW1 Nominal Roll and Embarkation Rolls for the 8th Battalion under Nominal Rolls. Also try the Red Cross Wounded and Missing Files to see if there is a file for him.

He is mentioned in the offical history in Volume V on Pages 456 and 472 as PITT, Lt. J.G (of Natimuk, Vic., Born Streatham, England). If you click on the volume you can then imput the page number and read about him.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/biographical.asp

You can order his service papers on line from the following or there may already be a digital copy posted on the site if someone has accessed them before:

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/defen...ts/ww1/ww1.html

I also have the 8th Battalion History. There is a good chance he will be mentioned. I am away from home for a few days but will look him up when I can. Some other members of the forum will also have it so they may beat me to it.

Regards

Tim D

If you want to read a bit more about the 8th Battalion another good account by Donovan Joynt VC is 'Saving the Channel Ports' which covers much of the 8th Bn in 1918.

Guest dinkidi
Some other members of the forum will also have it so they may beat me to it. 

G'day Blue!

Wot is this? Race 3 at Dapto?

Gives me another excuse to mention Pompey Bloody Elliott as featured in ANZACS. The author of Cobbers in Khaki [history of 8th] is ready to publish a new history of the 7th, [Pompeys 1st] battalion, which travelled with the 8th in the Second Brigade.

ooRoo

Pat

Some other members of the forum will also have it so they may beat me to it. 

G'day Blue!

Wot is this? Race 3 at Dapto?

Gives me another excuse to mention Pompey Bloody Elliott as featured in ANZACS. The author of Cobbers in Khaki [history of 8th] is ready to publish a new history of the 7th, [Pompeys 1st] battalion, which travelled with the 8th in the Second Brigade.

ooRoo

Pat

No mate,

Just thought that seeing I won't have access to it for a few days someone else may be able to have a look so the bloke requesting the information would have it sooner.

I'll keep my eye out for the 7th Battalion history and will be sure to add it to my Xmas list.

Cheers

TD

Guest dinkidi

Andrew

Didn't wanna mention that one. Some people would think he was just another Aussie claiming ALL the credit for that Job!

TD

I know where there is a copy of the 1933 History of 7 Bn by Dean & Gutteridge, if you're interested.

ooRoo

Pat

Many thanks guys for all the replies and the invaluable information. I will take a good look through all the references mentioined and see what I can find out. Oh and please bear with me as I am new to this here forum lark.

Andrew

Didn't wanna mention that one. Some people would think he was just another Aussie claiming ALL the credit for that Job!

TD

I know where there is a copy of the 1933 History of 7 Bn by Dean & Gutteridge, if you're interested.

ooRoo

Pat

Hi Pat

Currently reading Ron Austin's new history of the 7th Bn. So far a good read.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew P

You say "If you want to read a bit more about the 8th Battalion another good account by Donovan Joynt VC is 'Saving the Channel Ports' which covers much of the 8th Bn in 1918" Where do I do this please mate ? Also can Blackblue please tell me who or what Pompey Bloody Elliott was as I am intrigued to know mate.

Cheers Guys

Brigadier later Major general Pompey Elliott raised and commanded the 7th Battalion. He was later promoted to Brigadier and commanded the 15th Infantry Brigade. You can read more about him here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/people_170.asp

Will be in a position to have a look at the 8th Battalion history tonight and will get back to you then.

Regards

Tim D

Guest dinkidi

G'day

As No 1 All Time Fan of the Late Great Pompey... cannot miss the opportunity.

He wanted his 7 Bn to wear the good ole slouch hat in preference to the recently issued "English" Peaked Cap.

During Battalion Parade he confronted the lone soldier sporting the Cap. When given the excuse that some-one had "knocked-off" the Digger's Hat, Pompey blasted the soldier for... well, his lack of inititive.

Very next Parade, 100% Slouch Hats. Excluding the Boss, that is. His "missing"

hat duly arrived home to his wife in Australia.

Now that IS inititive!

ooRoo

Guest dinkidi

O K ! something about old dogs n new trix. Can't do the "here" bit. But reckon Old Pompey wouldn't settle for the clinical biography. Lotsa leads on Google! Liked this one.

ooRoo

Pat

printarticle.txt

Andrew P

You say "If you want to read a bit more about the 8th Battalion another good account by Donovan Joynt VC is 'Saving the Channel Ports' which covers much of the 8th Bn in 1918" Where do I do this please mate ? Also can Blackblue please tell me who or what Pompey Bloody Elliott was as I am intrigued to know mate.

Cheers Guys

You can try your local library for starters and if they don't have it see if the book is at least in their system so they can order it in. Failing that check one of the book sellers on the web. I bought my copy a few years ago quite cheaply.

Hi Jules,

My apolgies in posted the wrong URL for the link to the official history. Try the following, go to Volume V and input the page numbers I have provided at the top of the page.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/index.asp

I have also had a look at the 8th Battalion history 'Cobbers in Khaki' by Ron Austin. He is mentioned in the nominal roll as an original members of the battalion as:

PITT. JG, 924 Pte, H Coy.

He is only mentioned once on page 195 in a chapter entitled 'Germany's Blackest Days'. The battalion moved into the front line on the 12th June 1918 and the portion mentioning him is as follows:

'The pattern of intense patrolling, which was the Australian method of controlling No Man's Land, continued on a nightly basis. On the night of 14th June, Lieutenant Pitt was out with a small reconnaisance patrol when he was wounded by an alert enemy sniper'.

Regards

Tim

Hi Jules,

My apolgies in posted the wrong URL for the link to the official history. Try the following, go to Volume V and input the page numbers I have provided at the top of the page.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/index.asp

I have also had a look at the 8th Battalion history 'Cobbers in Khaki' by Ron Austin. He is mentioned in the nominal roll as an original members of the battalion as:

PITT. JG, 924 Pte, H Coy.

He is only mentioned once on page 195 in a chapter entitled 'Germany's Blackest Days'. The battalion moved into the front line on the 12th June 1918 and the portion mentioning him is as follows:

'The pattern of intense patrolling, which was the Australian method of controlling No Man's Land, continued on a nightly basis. On the night of 14th June, Lieutenant Pitt was out with a small reconnaisance patrol when he was wounded by an alert enemy sniper'.

Regards

Tim

Many thanks again Tim I am intrigued to know how you found this information on my grandfather. Is it possible to search the entire historical database for mentions of a particular name. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers mate.

Jules P

Hi Jules,

In respect to the history all you have to do is go to the index for each volume and look under the chaps name....as you would if it was the hard copy. As far as the other stuff goes, and which data bases to look at, the AWM site explains pretty well what you do to research individuals. If you have researched someone even once before it is pretty simple the second time. The Australian records are very well kept. You may also want to try and gain access to the 8th Battalion War Diaries to see if his promotion or severe wounding is mentioned. If you e-mail the Research Centre...see the following link they should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.awm.gov.au/contact/index.htm

Regards

Tim

Guest dinkidi

G'day

Easiest way

On AWM site, Search our Collections, Type in Pitt, Choose WW1, Bingo!

[He was photogenic]

ooRoo

Pat

Good thinking Pat,

There are 3 excellent phootgraphs of Lt.Pitt in group photo's in the AWM collection. Try collections search Jules and input 'PITT' and WW1.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

1. ID Number: E01073

Maker: Unknown

Place made: Ypres

Date made: 28 October 1917

Physical description: Black & white

Summary: Officers and men of the 8th Battalion taking shelter behind a pillbox during an 'area strafe' at Railway Wood, in the Ypres Sector, whilst returning from the line. Identified, sitting at left, back row: Lieutenant (Lt) J O Pitt; Captain A G Campbell DSO. Front row: Lt T W Johnstone MC; Second Lieutenant P Lay MC DCM MM. Standing, left to right: 7150 Lance Corporal (LCpl) H J Gray, resting on shovel (killed in action 18 December 1917); 2936 Sergeant (Sgt) J T Pinchen MM; 2778 LCpl L A Scouller MM, behind Pinchen (killed in action 26 August 1918); 1111 Sgt J R Jorgenson; 6728 Pte R M Cullen. The soldier whose head can be seen top left is unidentified.

2. ID Number: E01811

Place made: Locre

Date made: 20 February 1918

Summary: Group portrait of the officers of the 8th Battalion. Left to right, back row: Lieutenant (Lt) A. W. Finlayson MC; Lt S. W. Young MC MM; Lt J. G. Pitt; Lt F. W. Tickle MC; Lt R. W. Dowling MC; Lt R. Woodhouse. Middle row: Lt J. G. Evans MC; Lt T. Anderson MC DCM; Lt R. V. Andrewartha; Lt J. Bourke; Lt P. A. Waters MC; Lt P. G. Perkin; Lt J. L. Foott; Lt W. D. Joynt VC; Lt R. G. Hutson; unidentified; Lt W. D. N. Hooper; Lt S. Young; Lt H. G. Whitton; Lt W. G. M. Claridge. Front row: Captain (Capt) A. G. Campbell DSO; Lt J. R. Blackman MC; Lt H. Fenton; Major J. H. P. Eller DSO; Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) J. W. Mitchell DSO; Lt Col J. C. M. Traill DSO MC; Lt A. D. Temple MC; Honorary Capt E. Freeman MC.

3. ID Number: E01071

Place made: Ypres

Summary: Group portrait of the men of the 6th and 8th Battalions making their way under shell fire from the trenches near Railway Wood, in the Ypres Sector. Identified are: 442 Sergeant (Sgt) R A McLean (1); unidentified (2); 1463 Sgt P Gye (3); 1325 Private (Pte) H J Streets (4); 4444 Pte Brown, 6th Battalion (5); 5208 Pte E C Teague (6); 3800 Sgt Holloway, 6th Battalion (7); 4615 Pte M Trewhella, 6th Battalion (8); unidentified (9); unidentified (10); 131 Pte E M Hughes, Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) (11); unidentified (12); 5088 Pte H J Floate, RGA (13); unidentified (14); unidentified (15); unidentified (16); 5246 Lance Corporal (L Cpl) J C Ferry, 6th Battalion (17); unidentified (18); L Cpl Crosby, 6th Battalion (19); 2936 Corporal (Sgt) J. T Pinchen MM (20); 5454 Pte D Styles (21); 7150 L Cpl Harold James Gray of Parkville, Vic, 8th Battalion (22); 3115 Sgt B G Murphy (23); 5107 Pte H E Hillyer (24); unidentified (25); 6728 L Cpl R M Cullen (26); Lieutenant J G Pitt (27); 5443 L Cpl S Redmayne (28); Captain A G Campbell DSO (29); 3831 Sgt L G Kittle MM (30); 2017 Pte D H Owen MM, 6th Battalion (31); 1111 Sgt J R Jorgenson, 6th Battalion (32); 2423 Pte A L Beachcroft, 6th Battalion (33); Pte Trevalla, 6th Battalion (34); 354 Sgt A C Robertson (35); unidentified (36); 1839 Pte W J Thomas, 6th Battalion (37); 2448 Pte A Radley (38); 4306 Pte B S Skinner, 6th Battalion (59). See E01071K for position of those named in this caption.

Copyright: clear

3a. ID Number: E01071K

Summary: Reference image only to provide position detail for those named above. This image is not for sale. Group portrait of the men of the 6th and 8th Battalions photographed under shellfire on their way from the trenches near Railway Wood, in the Ypres Sector. Identified are: 442 Sergeant (Sgt) R A McLean (1); unidentified (2); 1463 Sgt P Gye (3); 1325 Private (Pte) H J Streets (4); 4444 Pte Brown, 6th Battalion (5); 5208 Pte E C Teague (6); 3800 Sgt Holloway, 6th Battalion (7); 4615 Pte M Trewhella, 6th Battalion (8); unidentified (9); unidentified (10); 131 Pte E M Hughes, Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) (11); unidentified (12); 5088 Pte H J Floate, RGA (13); unidentified (14); unidentified (15); unidentified (16); 5246 Lance Corporal (L Cpl) J C Ferry, 6th Battalion (17); unidentified (18); L Cpl Crosby, 6th Battalion (19); 2936 Corporal (Sgt) J. T Pinchen MM (20); 5454 Pte D Styles (21); 7150 L Cpl H J Gray (22); 3115 Sgt B G Murphy (23); 5107 Pte H E Hillyer (24); unidentified (25); 6728 L Cpl R M Cullen (26); Lieutenant J G Pitt (27); 5443 L Cpl S Redmayne (28); Captain A G Campbell DSO (29); 3831 Sgt L G Kittle MM (30); 2017 Pte D H Owen MM, 6th Battalion (31); 1111 Sgt J R Jorgenson, 6th Battalion (32); 2423 Pte A L Beachcroft, 6th Battalion (33); Pte Trevalla, 6th Battalion (34); 354 Sgt A C Robertson (35); unidentified (36); 1839 Pte W J Thomas, 6th Battalion (37); 2448 Pte A Radley (38); 4306 Pte B S Skinner, 6th Battalion (59).

Many thanks Blackblue for the information about the photos, I never dreawmed their would be so much information still available about my grandfather. I will try to look at the photos over the weekend when I shall be at a relatives house. is it possible to get copies of these photos, presumably you can copy them from the webpage can't you mate. I like the idea of finding out about when John got his commission very much. I can remember as a kid being shown a 9mm Luger that he brought back with him as a souvenir and a cigarette case that was in his left breast pocket when it was hit by a bullet, without that I would not be here now. Many thanks again for all the contributors to my original post.

Jules P

Jules,

You can order them on line from the AWM. One in particular has a very good shot of him. I have ordered some before and the service of very good. You can download them however they have an AWM logo on them.

Cheers

Tim

hi Tim

Can you tell me what size the photos come in and how much they cost please mate, I would be most grateful, cheers

Jules,

Search 'Collection Databases' and click on the photo you want. Click on 'Add to Cart' and then click on "Help with Ordering'. It provides a breakdown of fees.

Regards

Tim

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in and let everyone see who we're talking about. This is an cut section of a photo from the AWM that I've enlarged.

Tim L.

post-1-1087358493.jpg