Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help researching Sergent in king's Royal Rifles

mcfc1923

would be grateful for any help with regards to a J. Brassington who served with the king's Royal Rifles.

He is a relative on my wife's side of the family, i know he survived the war, have checked the Nat Arc on line but nothing came up for a J. Brassington with the king's Royal Rifles.

i have no service number im afraid, but i do know before the war he married an Argentinian woman and worked on the railway's, my father in law got the info regarding his name, rank and battalion from the ''Anglo-Argentine Railwaymen who served in the great war '' The railway companies' Directors Report for the year ended June 30th, 1915 and 1918. and that's where J. Brassington appears as a Sergent in the King's Royal Rifles.

any bits of info or help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated

cheers

james

Heres his details in short

Name: John Brassington

Regiment or Corps: Kings Royal Rifle Corps, Royal Engineers

Regimental Number: R/7867, WR276769

Mel

thanks for that mel, will now try to find out if his numbers wil give any clue as to where he was etc.

cheers

james

james

His Medal Rolls will tell you what Battalion he served in at the point of first landing in France on 23 July 1915. Whilst his medals were issued by the Royal Engineers,as he was serving with them at the point when the process of medal issues began,the Rolls should show the KRRC detail. You need to get a look at WO329/538 page 4795,where his entry is shown. There is also info on the 1914-15 Star Roll which is in WO329/2598 (section 15C page 189).

These are not viewable on line,buit need to be seen in situ at Kew.

Sotonmate

I note that 12th Bn KRRC sailed for france on 22nd July 1915.. probably arrived on 23rd. . 13th Bn on 30th July ...10th and 11th Bns ordered to embark on July 21st .. so one of those Bns probably ..

James,

Some enlistment dates for men with KRRC Service Numbers nearby to his of R/7867 ...

R/7858 WOOTTON, Rfn George Henry - 30 Nov 1914

R/7859 LOVETT, Rfn John H - 30 Nov 1914

R/7873 MILLER, Rfn Joseph - 02 Dec 1914

R/7877 FISHER, Rfn James - 18 Nov 1914

We can be confident of a KRRC enlistment of 30 Nov 1914 give or take a week or two.

He arrived overseas on 23 July 1915 and was already a Corporal so he must have shown potential during training.

Relevant KRRC Embarcation Dates are ...

10/KRRC - 21 Jul 1915

11/KRRC - 21 Jul 1915

12/KRRC - 23 Jul 1915

13/KRRC - 31 Jul 1915

12/KRRC is therefore the most likely KRRC battalion, so he may well have known my grandfather!

I've had a quick look through the 12/KRRC War Diary up to early 1916 and found no mention of a Cpl Brassington, but ORs are very very rarely mentoned by name in this battalion.

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

James,

A move from KRRC to RE might suggest a signaller.

Cheers,

Mark

He transferred to the Railway Operating Division of the RE, or one of the Railway Construction Companies RE which fits in well with his pre-war service with a Anglo-Argentinian railway company.

TR

He transferred to the Railway Operating Division of the RE, or one of the Railway Construction Companies RE which fits in well with his pre-war service with a Anglo-Argentinian railway company.

TR

Terry,

That makes excellent sense. I assume that's from his RE Service Number?

If we had his Service Record I bet we would find this was one of those Compulsory Transfers "in the Interest of the Service" under AO 204/1916.

Cheers,

Mark

cheers pals, superb as ever!!! wil be passing all this info onto my father in law as it's his relation, no service record survived but you have all given me plenty to chew over,

many thanks indeed

james

Mark (MBrockway)would be interested to know what what was your grandfathers name etc, as a matter of interest

james

Mark (MBrockway)would be interested to know what what was your grandfathers name etc, as a matter of interest

james

James - see here ...

L/Cpl John Brockway, R/6479, 12th & 16th KRRC ... including general information on KRRC cap badges

L/Cpl John Brockway, R/6479, 12th & 16th KRRC Second opinions needed!

There were a few earlier topics when I first joined the GWF and the Pals helped me piece together the basics about his service.

Ha! Re-reading all these makes me realise how much I've learnt since I joined the Forum :lol:

HTH - let me know if my GF connects up anywhere with your relative - I have very little info on him.

Cheers,

Mark