Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse at RM Infirmary, Deal

Leofwine

Those records are just crying out to have an online published index - is there any possibility in the future of you producing one? I'd thought about doing it when I'd finished my latest piece of work, but that might be quite a long time. It would definitely save a few grey hairs :)

Sue

Sue, this may be a totally redundant question, but I presume you are aware of the QARNNS archive held at the Institute of Naval Medicine? I know they have a card index, but I don't know whether that is available as electronic data or not (I know it's not online externally, due to various pressures).

Feel free to send me a personal message if I can be of service, though I should stress that I am not the archive's curator.

Thank you Jane. I don't often look at the QARNNS records as my interest is really in the army, and as there are relatively few naval nurses queries are less likely to arise. But checking the records at The National Archives is a real pain - microfilm, several reels and only a rough index at the beginning of each sub-class is a real time-waster. A proper index which could be accessed via TNA Catalogue (or elsewhere) with basic details and maybe frame numbers for the film (although that's asking a lot) would be a boon. It's a class of records that seem to have been rather overlooked in relation to indexing and is probably only going to get done through volunteers doing the work.

Sue

Troops, what a pity - I was buried in ADM 104 161-165 this afternoon. The files after 161 are very messy so let's hope she was a regular (161) not a reservist (162 on)

cheers

Kirsty H

Hi Jim,

I have copies of the Naval nursing sisters' service records in ADM 104/43 and 104/161 - covering 1884 to post WW1. Also ADM 104/95 - annual reports 1890 - 1908.

There's not a huge amount of information in the records - dates of birth, joining, promotion and details of postings and so forth but little on place of origin, next of kin etc.

I'd be delighted to do look ups for you - fire away!

Siobhan

Here I am firing !! These are the names off the York Minster panels.

AINSWORTH, Grace Glen

BEARD, Eva Gladys

CHAMBERLAIN, Louisa Charlotte

EDWARDS, Caroline Maud

ELVINS or ELVENS, Eliza Millicent

GRIGSON, Mabel Edith

PREVOST, Annette Maud

ROBINS, Mary Jennette

ROWLATT, Olive Kathleen

WILSON, Annie

If you would prefer to come direct I am at jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Thank you. Jim

Jim,

I'm away from home for a couple of days but will send you the info when I return.

Sue,

Great idea - I was just thinking about that recently. Now just have to figure out how to do it!

Jane,

I'm curious about what's in the archive. I knew it was there but haven't managed to get over yet. I'll send you a PM in a couple of days, if that's ok.

Siobhan

Siobhan,

That'll be fine, though I'm out of office 11-15 October.

Jane

Thanks for the additional information.

I have just found her (finally!) in the 1901 census (where Busby was mis-transcribed as Burby). She was then at 27a, Clarence Parade, Portsmouth, Town, and single. Her occupation was as a Nurse, servant to Isabel M Pearce, wife of a Royal Navy Officer, Commander Henry Pearce (of the 1st Class Battleship 'Trafalgar'), and their 3 children, Doris, Dorothy & John. With this Naval connection I suppose it is not to far fetched to imagine here moving into a nursing job connected to the Navy, such as in the Infirmary at Deal where she may have met her husband to be. Of course, by 1913 as a married woman she would no longer be a nurse there, but as I am now suspecting that her mother-in-law may be one of the civilian staff at the infirmary, that could explain her meeting her future husband.

This is her mother-in-law Jane Barr about 10 years later c. 1922-4. I think she looks like the right hand woman of the two standing just behind the centre nurse. Is this the connection to that photo?

5022797827_011d57afb2_z.jpg

(Larger versions here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/5042698413/in/set-72157624283300565/ )

I have also found another picture which I think may be Nurse Mabel, possibly when a nurse/servant to the Pearce family in Portsmouth.

5042698413_32cc1f3453_z.jpg

(Larger versions here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/5042698413/in/set-72157624283300565/ )

Jim,

I've emailed you with the details of the ladies you were looking for. In case anyone else is also interested in them:-

Grace G Ainsworth

Trained at Liverpool Royal Infirmary.

QARNNS Reserve 4/8/1914 – death 30/10/1918 – influenza and pneumonia.

Eva Gladys Beard

DoB 11/10/1888. Trained at Barts.

QARNNS Reserve 22/12/1916 – 31/3/1919 (demob).

QARNNS 3/11/1919 – death 14/3/1920 – influenza and pneumonia.

Louisa Charlotte Chamberlain

QARNNS Reserve 6/8/1914 – death 10/8/1918 ‘blown up by mine’.

10/8/18 - wire from HM Ship China – “Miss Chamberlain together with 3 officers of the ship, blown up by a mine in above date on Cantick minefield, and killed in the ship’s whaler while out fishing. Next of kin informed by ‘China’.” [ADM 104/162]

Eliza Millicent Elvins

Trained London Hospital.

QARNNS Reserve 4/8/1914 – death 30/12/1915 - ‘Natal disaster’.

Joined Hosp Ship ‘Drina’ for duty 25/2/15. Reported killed in the explosion on board the HMS ‘Natal’ 30/12/15. [ADM 104/162]

Caroline Maud Edwards

Nok mother – 541 Calhoun St, Port Townsend, Washington, USA.

Trained at London Hospital.

QARNNS Reserve 4/8/1914 – death 30/12/1915 ‘Natal disaster’.

“Joined Hosp Ship Drina 20/2/15. Lost in sinking of Natal Jan 1916.” [ADM 104/162]

Mabel Edith Grigson/Griegson

QARNNS Reserve 15/10/1915 – death 3/10/1918. Died in Malta of dysentery and heart failure. Listed as Grigson.

Annette Maud Prevost

Page with entry date and training hospital missing. Died 19/11/1918.

Jennet Mary Robins

Trained at Barts.

QARNNS Reserve 10/12/1917 – death 4/11/1918 – pneumonia + asthma.

Olive Kathleen Rowlatt

Trained at London Hospital.

QARNNS 3/1/1911 – death 30/12/1915 – explosion on ‘Natal’. Served on HS Drina from 29/8/1915. ‘On board Natal as a guest when explosion took place.’ [ADM 104/161]

ANNIE WILSON

Trained at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

QARNNS Reserve 17/9/1917 – death 5/11/1918 – pneumonia.

“Lent to Hosp Ship ‘Garth Castle’ to nurse influenza cases 19/10/18; discharged to US Naval Hp, Seafield, Leith suffering from influenza; died there 5/11/18” [ADM 104/163]

Siobhan

• 2 years later...

I have a William HOILE b c 1822 Walmer who was a "Nurse, Royal Marine infirmary" . Haven't been able to find his service records, or pension records etc, from enlistment presumably c1840. He appears in the the 1871 census still as a Nurse RMLI, but seems to have retired by 1876. In 1881 listed as Greenwich pensioner; in 1891 as RM pensioner. Can anyone suggest where I can look now? (Have tried TNA) . Or could some kind person please look at the navy list for me? Any help much appreciated, I am at a loss