Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps

Adam Llewellyn

Hi Tony My daughter uses that resource as well but we did find Wilfred's birth record (born in Bolton (1898 Q1) to Mother Esther or Hester Hutton/Hulton

Chris

Glad to learn that you use it as I was one of the driving forces behind the Lancashire site

Tony

Tony

I got hold of Mary Painter & will send her a photo (we only have 1 of him but it is in uniform when he was in the Loyal North Lancs) & a brief description.  Just need to try to find more about him & his war experiences now as not sure if got injured in service to get transferred to the Labour Corps which he served in until his death just prior to the armistice

Chriswc2.jpg.d257dd42b89bc25b08d34e027b95be89.jpg

Chris

I know that Mary Painter will appreciate the information

Regards, Tony

Found another link in my wife’s family tree as George Cockshoot (2nd Bn South Lancs Regiment) was her Grandfather’s, Aunt’s Brother & was from Darwen. He died a few months after the award of the Military Medal in Sep 1918.   Also but in WW2, her same Grandfather’s Sister’s Husband (James Stephen Price 2 Regiment Royal Horse Artillery) is buried in El Alamein Cemetary (died at beginning of 2nd Battle of El Alamein 24/10/1942)

8 hours ago, Chris Walker said:

Found another link in my wife’s family tree as George Cockshoot (2nd Bn South Lancs Regiment) was her Grandfather’s, Aunt’s Brother & was from Darwen. He died a few months after the award of the Military Medal in Sep 1918.   Also but in WW2, her same Grandfather’s Sister’s Husband (James Stephen Price 2 Regiment Royal Horse Artillery) is buried in El Alamein Cemetary (died at beginning of 2nd Battle of El Alamein 24/10/1942)

Chris

I have been researching the Darwen men and women who lost their lives in WW1. copied below are various newspaper report on George Cockshoot. If you search the forum for his name you will see a message I sent and details of his original burial place. Do you have a photo of him?

I don't know if you live close to Darwen - let me know as I can check the WW2 death for you in the local newspaper

Regards, Tony

Darwen News, Saturday, May 25, 1918

Darwen Soldier Wins The Military Medal

Lance-Corporal George Cockshoot (South Lancashire Regiment), of 40 Harwood Street, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in action. Enlisting in March 1916, he went to the front in July of the same year. He has been three times wounded. Before enlisting he was employed at Belgrave Mills. He has two brothers serving in the Army.

[…he had two brothers – Edmund and Briggs]

London Gazette 27 June 1918

George was awarded the Military Medal ‘for excellent work with his Lewis gun in helping to repel a German attack and for the counter-attack, at Marchies, near Maricourt, on 22 March 1918, during the Battle of Bapaume.’

The MM appeared on an auction site and was sold on 8th Dec 2016 for £340

The Darwen News Saturday Oct 5, 1918

Corporal G Cockshoot

Unofficial information has been received by Mr and Mrs Cockshoot, of 40 Harwood Street, that their son, Corporal George Cockshoot, was killed in action on the 25th of September of this year. Twenty-five years of age, Corporal Cockshoot joined the Army on the 13th of March of 1916, and went to France on July 19th of the same year. He had been three times wounded by enemy fire and had once been buried by a shell. On the 12th of May last he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field. He was formerly employed at the Belgrave mills and attended Holy Trinity Church. His two brothers are with the Forces on the Western Front and two brothers-in-law are also serving, one in India and the other in Kent. The following are the letters which have been received, the first from the Lieutenant, and the latter from his comrade, a Lance-Corporal: “He was out on patrol when he was shot through the head by a sniper. He was by me, just inside Belgium the same day. I can hardly express mine and the men’s feelings at the great loss we have received by the death of your son. He was the most popular NCO in the company, and I feel that I have lost half the heart of my platoon by his loss. He was cheerful and brave under all conditions, and the men he has under him thought the world of him. The men and myself deeply sympathise with you in your great loss, and can only conclude with these words, ‘He did his duty and did it well.’” “As a personal friend of his, I wish to convey to you my heartfelt sympathy in the loss you have sustained. I may say that I have always found him to be a true comrade, always cheerful under the most trying circumstances. I cannot describe my feelings in losing such a good friend and shall miss him very much. In fact, the whole platoon join with me in extending to you and yours their deepest sympathy. Like many thousands more he has made the supreme sacrifice, but it is God’s will and we must submit. It may be some consolation to you to know that he was killed by a bullet wound, death being instantaneous. He was buried here behind the lines.”

Edited by familyhistoryman

Thanks for all this info Tony.  The Brothers' names cross check to the siblings we found on the family tree as his Sister Betsy married my wife's Grandad's Uncle.  Unfortunately no pictures of George but there is a distorted faint one on the internet which we uploaded to our tree.  I did notice the medal being sold on which seems quite sad but not for me to comment

We do live in Darwen & we also found a picture of the actual WW2 grave of our family member (James Stephen Price) at El Alamein

Regards

Chris

Chris

I was born and raised in Darwen but now live in Bury. I will be in Darwen on Saturday at the Darwen Heritage Centre. When I get home I will sent you a PM containing all the information I have found on George which will include an image. The image was taken from themicrofilmed copy of the Darwen News so the quality is not that good.

Tony

Me again Tony (you'll be sick of me soon !)

There is another family member from Darwen who died in WW1 & I've just emailed Mary Painter as I could not find him on the Cottontown site

Hi Mary

We have another family member who died in WW1 who lived in Darwen (born in North Wales) who we can't find on the Roll of Honour.  His details are below from the CWC War Graves site.  Not sure if we have any photos of him yet but closer family might have

He was born Edward William Price in Mostyn N.Wales in 1884 but was in Darwen for 1901 & 1911 census as he married a Lancashire Lass.  Tragically his son James S Price died in WW2 (El Alamein)

Rifleman
PRICE, EDWARD 
Service Number A/202716

Died 20/11/1917

11th Bn. 
King's Royal Rifle Corps

Commemorated at CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Number of casualties: 7118

Cemetery/memorial reference: Panel 9

Regards

Chris

Chris

The town's war memorial does not contain any name so for the past 5 years I have been going through the local newspapers trying to find the name of those who lost their lives in WW1. I many to find 1,302 men and women. Details have been published in "Our Glorious Dead" and copies are available at Darwen Hertiage Centre £20 (plus p&p). I have not come across the name of Edward Price so it any person to add to the list. Did he marry Mary Agnes Appleton in 1910

Tony

That's the one Tony, originally from Mostyn N. Wales but shown in Darwen Census 1901/1911 (Edward William Price born 1884

The findmypast death record for Soldier 202716 shows Darwen as enlistment & Mostyn as birthplace 

His son James Stephen Price was the WW2 soldier who died at El Alamein in 1942 that I mentioned previously

Chris

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to update our progress on researching Wilfred Carney (Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 203324 + Labour Corps 407254) who died 7/11/18 as we've probably gone as far as we can now.  We have found quite a few interesting records for him including pension, approx. length of service (war gratuities) as well as getting him listed on the Blackburn Roll of Honour (cottonwtown.org).  The only gap that we can't find is which battalion of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment he served with (about Sep/Oct 1916 - Oct/Nov 2017) as we presumed he was injured prior to transferring to the Labour Corps.  It would have been nice to try & find which Theatres of War he fought in with the Loyals & a possible war diary but presume his regimental records with LNL were lost in the 1940 fire ?

Still, it has been an very interesting & emotional journey for us & we now have set our sights on visiting his grave & battlefields near Valenciennes next year