Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps

Adam Llewellyn

Yes. As per Ivor Lee's book, 113 Coy was one of eight coys which worked with Canadian & RE units installing gas & smoke canisters in preparation for the Vimy Ridge attack in April 1917.

Hello John and thanks for the reply, I did check Ivor's website out, but could not find a mention to the 195th Coy. Were the 195th linked with the 113th?

Best regards. Llew.

Yes, perhaps linked, although dunno how. 113 was another of the eight coys I mention being at Vimy.

Ivor's book also mentions they became very proficient bridge builders, particularly in the last 100 Days - 5 men winning the MM for bravery on 26/10/18.

Lllew and John,

The reference to 195 Company is at the top of the page, in very small print.

195 Company was formed in April 1917......"primarily from Bantams attached to the 36th Royal Fusiliers."

36th Battalion became 105 & 106 Labour Company in it's own right if I've read it correctly.

Phil

John

I'm confused :wacko:

Has something been changed here? Llew is asking about 195th Coy. and you're replying about 113th?

Only entry specifically about 195th Company that I can find in John & Ivor's book is that they were formed primarily "from Bantams attached to the 36th Royal Fusiliers."

It would also appear from the book that 195th Company would have been formed in (or after) April 1917 as he states "By April 1917 many labour battalions were operating above their nominal strength of 1,000, and surplus men were allotted to the C-in-C to form the companies 184 to 200"

Regards

Steve

Searching CWGC via Geoffs engine.

195 + Labour Corps returns 9 of which seven are 195th Chinese Labour Corps. The remaining two are buried in Britain on 7/11/18 and 11/10/1919.

If they were abroad then maybe those that died were marked as some other unit?

Hywyn

All of 195 Company's service was in France.

As mentioned earlier the company was formed when they LC was created. The majority of men coming from Bantams attached to the 36th Royal Fusiliers.

I have not been able to confirm it but my thoughts are that the 36th RF had bantams from other Battalions attached to it and had gone over strength. Certainly I have identified men in 195 Company from the 36th RF and also Bantam battalions from the Sherwood Foresters and DLI.

With regard to casualties I have, so far identified about 20 casualties most of whom are buried in Belgium.

195 had a good record during the late summer/early autumn of 11917 whilst working in the Ypres area with a number of men being awarded the MM.

Ivor

With regard to casualties I have, so far identified about 20 casualties most of whom are buried in Belgium.

Ivor

I can't get the Secondary unit function to work on Geoffs Engine. As a matter of interest can you link/paste one of your casualties. I'm intrigued as to why my search didn't bring them up.

Hywyn

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've got a chap on the AVL 116438 Pte David Smart 195th Labour Company, doesn't seem to have an MIC, hence my original question.

Regards. Llew.

Llew,

Try ex-Sherwood Foresters.

I've run out of time tonight, but did a search on National Archives using Labour Corps 1164*

So far I have 55 ex-Sherwoods and 1 ex-DLI and probably about two-thirds of the way through the hits.

There is a David Smart 35420 Sherwood Foresters, although no Labour Corps number.

Phil

Hywyn

As an example three men KIA on 7 August 1917 are

Pte A Doxey 116494, Pte J Gee 116420 and Pte F Hope 116420 - all from CWGC data

Ivor

Good Morning Phil,

Thanks again for the input, I've found 35420 David Smart on Ancestry, his card also shows him with the Royal Fusiliers G/62678 and Cameron Highlanders S/50422, but there is no mention of the Labour Corps. There is a David Smart with the Labour Corps, service number 210798, and with some of the other men on the AVL having the wrong number listed, I thought this could be the case with David, but after looking at the numbers posted by Ivor the number looks good for the 195th Company.

Regards. Llew.

Hywyn

As an example three men KIA on 7 August 1917 are

Pte A Doxey 116494, Pte J Gee 116420 and Pte F Hope 116420 - all from CWGC data

Ivor

Thanks Ivor. All on as their initial units (DLI etc) and with their number in those units. Labour Corps is shown as secondary unit which explains why my search via Geoffs Engine gave a nil return.

Hywyn

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ivor. All on as their initial units (DLI etc) and with their number in those units. Labour Corps is shown as secondary unit which explains why my search via Geoffs Engine gave a nil return.

Hywyn

Hi everyone Pt J Gee you mention was my great uncle He was attested on 2/2/1916 served with the Notts & Sherwoods was sent to 36th(lab) bat royal fusiliers 10/2/1917 and finlly he was sent to 195 labour company on 17/2/1917. I do have a photo of him and the remains of his burnt documents ,I would like to know where he died. From his burnt docs he was not a prime specimen of british youth,his eyesight was questionable he was barely 5 foot 2 inches high ,7 1/2 stone and had overlapping toes on one foot,could this be a reason for his transfer to the labour corps.

regards

David Gee

• 6 years later...

I know a long time has passed since this thread but.... I have just started researching my wife's family and she may be related to Pte John Gee (116420). Her Grandfather (from Bloxwich) was called John Gee (born 1875) and he had a son (born 1900 in Woodhouse Mill_. If DJAKACG  has any further info on the John Gee mentioned I would love to hear?

• 2 years later...

Not sure if the forum is still live but my wife's been researching her great grandfather Wilfred Carney who we believed died right at the end of WW1.  We believe we have traced him to a War grave in Valenciennes (St. Roch) Communal Cemetery & he died 07/11/2018.  He is listed as 195th Company North Lancs Regiment Labour Corps

18 minutes ago, Chris Walker said:

He is listed as 195th Company North Lancs Regiment Labour Corps

Not quite right. He first went to France as No.203324 with the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

In about October/December 1917 he was transferred as No.407254 to the Labour Corps.

He was killed in action on 7.11.1918 with the 195th Coy. Labour Corps.

BillyH.

On 04/04/2019 at 23:38, BillyH said:

Not quite right. He first went to France as No.203324 with the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

In about October/December 1917 he was transferred as No.407254 to the Labour Corps.

He was killed in action on 7.11.1918 with the 195th Coy. Labour Corps.

BillyH.

Thanks for that Billy, gives us some more leads to go on.  We wondered if he was injured earlier on in the War to then get transferred to the Labour Corps ?

A transfer from the infantry to the Labour Corps was usually due to sickness (health problems) or wounds. You still had to  be physically capable to serve in the LC though.

Have you searched for his service papers?

BillyH.

Just starting the trail now Billy & we're a bit new to this.  The initial problem we find is that there are 2 Wilfred Carneys who we traced to CW Graves & both born within a few months of each other (our guy is Darwen born & the other one Lancaster).  The service numbers seem to move around a lot so not always sure if we are finding the records for the "right" Carney.  We are sure of the grave location for our Carney against 407254 but cant find records for 203324.  I have found other records against 50528, 26758, 28244 & 361407 but think some of them relate to the "wrong" Carney

• 3 weeks later...

Chris

I have been researching the Darwen men who lost their lives in The Great War. I cannot find a reference to a Wilfred Carney but if you can let me know when he was born in Darwen and who his parents were I will have another look for him

Regards, Tony

Chris

How certain are you that your Wilfred was born in Darwen? I have not been able find any birth but there is one born in Bolton in 1898 son of John. The 1911 census shows him living at 101 Stopes Brow, Lower Darwen. His name appears on the Blackburn Roll of Honour http://www.cottontown.org/Wars/Roll of Honour/World War 1/Pages/Letter-C.aspx

Tony

Thanks for posting Tony

Wilfred from Stopes Brow (Lower Darwen) is definitely the one (He appears on the roll of honour at the Lower Darwen War memorial at St James Church)

We have used Findmypast to build up the family tree & Wilfred is one of quite a few brothers (some of them were also in the Loyal North Lancs Regiment)

Wilfred was the Brother of my wife's Grandad

Chris

WC memorial.jpg

Chris

I don’t know if you have used www.lancashirebmd.org.uk to find Wilfred’s birth. I don’t know if you have checked the cottontown website as they don’t have any details on Wilfred - just his name. It would be worth contacting the library and giving them details - ask for Mary Painter

Tony