Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and Regiment identification please!

Metid

Being transferred into 73rd CEF seems logical explanation to me as cannot find him in Original unit files.

Thanks Myrtle for finding the mis speeling of name. Have crossed referenced with other relatives known and it is him.

Just wish could get hold of his MIC, As wondering due to his age whether he was also in Boer War as my mother seems to

think he was.

All in all i'm trying to compile collection of military serving personell of family.

Maternal side...GG father Watkiss (WW1 and poss Boer) and G father Winward (WW1) Cheshire Reg/Labour corp Married daughter of Watkiss. Still working on other males on maternal side.

Paternal side...Father WW2 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade (Arnhem), Me Artillery and RAF '86 till present.

Just wish could get hold of his MIC, As wondering due to his age whether he was also in Boer War as my mother seems to

think he was.

There aren't any Canadian MIC's - you have to get the man's service file to find his details. If you mean his British MIC, that's assuming that he had been in the British Army, AND had overseas service AND was transferred in the way that was suggested earlier.

And in that case he would still have generated a CEF service record. The explanation that not all CEF records are listed on the database is still the most convincing, in my opinion. I reckon you're only going to crack this one by having someone take a look for you. Should also give details of his previous military service (if any).

As for previous service, I wondered at first if he had a medal ribbon high above his left breast pocket, but I think that it's just a blemish on the negative or on the original photo.

I've checked library and archive Canada for him and does not appear in any listing. I agree wit you that it looks like not all CEF are listed.

I've checked library and archive Canada for him and does not appear in any listing. I agree wit you that it looks like not all CEF are listed.

Just to clarify things; I've been informed on my own thread, by more than one person, that the database on the Canadian Archives website is not 100% reliable, and that the archives do hold records for a small percentage of men who do not appear on the database.

It looks like I'll have to get a researcher to do a quick search (I understand that the records are stored alphabetically) at the CA. I reckon that's what you'll need to do if you want to get to the bottom of this.

Received answer back from Canadian Archives and they have no record of him. They have seen this thread and seeing as there was no reason why he would have Canadian connections that maybe he served with a British unit.