Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The term RIP

Desmond7

Guest Brummy
As a practising atheist, I put this forward as a suggestion, not an opinion.

Janet

Janet

I am curious, but how do you "practice" atheism? Religion is practised by believers, but can a non belief be practiced?

Please don't misinterepret my post, it's not intended as a criticism, but more as an exploration into semantics!

As for the letters RIP, to me they seem pretty harmless whether one believes or not (I don't). Like most grave markings I believe they are intended to give comfort to the living rather than the dead who are beyond feeling.

Tim

As another practicing athiest, I usualy find that passing off lightning strikes as a random act of nature, ignoring the booming voice telling me to travel the road to Telford and staying snuggly wrapped up in bed on a sunday morning instead of going to church, constitute my main active atheistic practices. :P

Brum

Senior Chaplain of VIII Corps on the eve of the Somme refusing to administer Holy Communion unless 'every participant would declare himself a regular Communicant of the Anglican Church' ...

Des - is this true? Did this happen?

Because I for one could never ever make such a declaration as a received ("confirmed" in some people's terms) member of a Nonconformist denomination.

Gwyn

Peter H. Liddle - The Soldier's War 1914-18 P.218.

Chapter on 'The Khaki Perspective: Opinions and Attitudes'

Brigadier F. P. Roe has written of some of the Padres whose work he knew to be outstanding in uplifting spiritual and personal morale: Harry Blackburn in 3rd Brigade and 1st Division, G. A. Studdart Kennedy (the celebrated Woodbine Willie of the 46th and 24th Divs.), T. B. Hardy VC of the 8th Lincolns, the beloved Neville Talbot and 'Tubby'Clayton ... of Toc H etc.

Roe also dealt with the early restrictions upon the presence of Padres in forward areas, orders with which Catholic padres in particular had not felt themselves bound to comply, well before the restrictions were lifted.

Roe refers not merely to the more evident presence of Catholic padres in such areas but also to a detail which is almost as depressing to read as it must have been frustratingly inexplicable to experience.

On the eve of the Battle of the Somme, Roe, with some others, asked the Senior Chaplain of VIII Corps if he would administer the Sacrament to them. The Chaplain showed firm reluctance to answer their call unless "Every participant would declare himself a regular communicant of the Anglican Church"

The Chaplain listened to Roe's remonstrance and conceded that: "he would administer the Sacrament in addition, to those who would promise faithfully to become Anglican communicants if they survived."

Edited by Desmond7