Name: William Taylor

Registration District: Clifden

Event Type: BIRTHS

Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1891

Volume Number: 4

Page Number: 156

Francis born before state register 1864

If Galway were true, it might explain Connaught Rangers

I saw that one as well John, what put me of was that according to Chynataz on Williams marriage certificate it says Francis the Father is a Labourer, I suppose things could have gone downhill for him by 1913.

Had a quick search for that family in 1911 and none of them seem to be either in Ireland in 1911 or took part in the census.

Apologies missed the part about the father being a labourer.

John

If Galway were true, it might explain Connaught Rangers

Yes it might. I would like to see the original photo if possible and the back with the date on. Are they in uniform in the photo? If so we might be able to confirm or eliminate the Connaught Rangers angle. Certainly the photo of William is Artillery.

John

Hi, I will send the photo that l have of john, my son has them both together, but not the original. Don't know who has that! My mother has the original of William on his own, and will ask her to look it out for me, unfortunately she's on holiday at the moment.

Sue.

post-56073-1277046109.jpg

Same studio, same chair, same uniform and same cap badge! So he's also in the RA at the time that this photo was taken, just like his brother. Both probably just pre-WW1, I'd say.

Am I right in understanding that there is a separate picture of BOTH men together that has 'Connaught Rangers 1907' written on the back? Are they in uniform? Any chance of posting the photo here?

Hi, The picture of them both together seems to be a collage, of both separate pictures, just spoken to my son about it, but the one of william does say 5th Connaught Rangers 1907, but as l said my mother has that one and l can't get hold of it at present. At least we know that they are RA, but why Connaught is written on the back of Williams is a mystery to me, and l have no way of knowing if this is written on the back of Johns.

post-56073-1277054492.jpg

You're wondering why 'Connaught Rangers 1907' is written on the back of a photo of William; it is puzzling if the photo is one of him in an artillery-man's uniform, but a possible explanation is that he was in the 5th Connaughts (a militia unit in '07), and then joined the RA as a regular soldier at some stage before the outbreak of war. Sounds like it judging from his wedding cert.

Reviewing this whole thread, I note that you said that you understood that they both joined up together; we've been approaching the military side of this search on the assumption that they were both in the Connaughts, while it looks like they were in the RA after William's involvement with the Connaughts (assuming that to be correct) and up to and including WW1 (particularly if the story of John dying in the war is correct).

Just as a thought, I'd suggest reviewing the military side of your search; if you could find a likely candidate for John you could find that it unlocks some doors for you.

If you found a likely candidate in the RA then it might (and that's a big 'might'...) lead you to a William Taylor with a near consecutive army number. Surely there can't be an unreasonable number of John Taylor's listed as having died serving with the 3 branches of the RA? If no luck there (he may have transferred to another unit) then use SDGW to review John Taylor's who died in any branch of the army and who had connections with that part of Ireland. It would be quite a task (could be about 500 individuals - 2 hrs work?), but it is do-able using the SDGW CD. If you did track him down then CWGC might have a record of his next of kin. Just a thought...........

Hi, Yes it certainly has opened up different options, as l and my son have been looking towards the connaught rangers, since what it says on the photo. and that is probably why we've uncovered nothing. You have given us an opening, as we truely had almost given up, just shows you should have an open mind when doing this...Thanks Sue

Hi guys,

Just heard from a family member in Ireland and it turns out that the John Taylor is actually a James Taylor and we also have army numbers.. The problem is we cannot seem to find anything else from these army numbers.

Williams army number is 8472 and James' is 8432.

William first signed for the Royal Inniskillen Rangers in 20/04/1907 with army number 3473 and signed up at Carrickfergus. He later joined the Royal Field Artillary, Maryhill Barracks, Kilmarnock, Glasgow, Scotland and his number was 69106. He joined on 25/09/1912.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi guys,

I'm searching for my Great Grandfather William Taylor, and his brother James. William served in WW1 & WW2, and although injured a few times survived both, James ( whom l previously thought to be John) is thought to have been killed in one of the wars. They are said to have both joined up together.

On a census l found of them William was born in Belfast City, while his brother James was born in Armagh.

Also, Just heard from a family member in Ireland and it turns out that the John Taylor is actually a James Taylor and we also have army numbers.. The problem is we cannot seem to find anything else from these army numbers.

Williams army number is 8472 and James' is 8432.

William first signed for the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers in 20/04/1907 with army number 3473 and signed up at Carrickfergus. He later joined the Royal Field Artillary, Maryhill Barracks, Kilmarnock, Glasgow, Scotland and his number was 69106. He joined on 25/09/1912.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sue

post-56073-1277198855.jpg

Sue

There's a Medal Index Card on National Archives and Ancestry sites for a William Taylor #3473 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Shows he was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal (ref. B/102 B Page 40) and the 1914/15 Star (ref. B/1B Page 429), he was also awarded a Silver War Badge (ref. B/760).

He entered Theatre of War (1) France on 27/12/1914.

According to Paul Nixon's excellent Army Service Number blog, #3473 would have been issued to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers between 9th July 1890 (#3293) and 28th January 1891 (#3505) which in no way fits with the dates you have. I wonder if the #3473 for your William is actually a Militia Number?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

It is said that he was Connaught Rangers 1907, maybe that is why? That is what family have told me anyway.

Could this mean also that his brother was also milita, as the two numbers are very close together?

Thanks for the info, will find and attach to the family tree. Could you please advise me as to finding the service records, as l have had no look with those either......yes l know....women!! haha

Regards

Sue

Threads merged (again)

Alan

• 1 month later...

HI, I was wondering if someone could do a look up for me please. Since last time, I have been unable to find anything about my Great Grandad William Taylor, nor his brother James (not John) Taylor, but l have been given more information on William Taylor, and l was wondering if someone could please do a look up for me, in WW2 he joined at Belfast in 1940, and his army number is 39810, and his dob is 22/11/1892, other than that info, once again l have nothing, no regiment or anything.....Please can anyone help!!

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue - if you go back to Corisande's post (#14) you'll get the answer to where to obtain the records for WW2 service and it sounds as though you have a good chance of locating them. You might get James' details in there - I've seen service records which detail brothers' regimental numbers.