Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Connaught Rangers

chynataz

Hi, I'm looking to find information on my Great Grandad William Taylor and his brother John Taylor, They are both believed to have joined the 5th Connaught Rangers at the same time. I have a photo of them both which on the back is written "5th Connaught Ranger 1915). The thing is that, that is all that is known, as l have searched high and low for them. William it is said, moved regiments a lot, as he served in both the first and second world wars. John, it is believed died in WW1. Please can anybody help me trace them. :(

Hi,

Do you know where they would have been born or living when they joined up?

Regards Mark

That is, as they say in America, a big ask.

There's only 1 'John Taylor' recorded amongst the Medal Index Cards as serving overseas with the Connaughts, no sign of him being killed. 2 James Taylor's killed serving with the Connaughts. No William Taylor's recorded as serving overseas with the Connaughts. Though there is a Samuel W Taylor.

You are unlikely to get anywhere regarding their military service without more information. Sounds like the only info that you have is the photo, so is there any chance of posting a copy together with the reverse of the picture? Maybe we can get some more clues if we see the photo.

Otherwise try going down the route of finding them on a census. Then we might be able to get somewhere based on them having other initials, or appearing on local rolls of honour, etc.

Edit; shouldn't you have posted this thread on the 'soldiers' strand of this forum? More likely to get interest, I'd suggest.

Hi, I am not sure on where they were born, but William got married to Mary Nesbitt, in Antrim 1913, they then went to live Armagh, and that is where he died. I have attached Williams photo, but unfortunately, my mother who is away owns the originals and so l was unable to include the back.

post-56073-1276909891.jpg

Hi, I'm looking to find information on my Great Grandad William Taylor and his brother John Taylor, They are both believed to have joined the 5th Connaught Rangers at the same time. I have a photo of them both which on the back is written "5th Connaught Ranger 1915). The thing is that, that is all that is known, as l have searched high and low for them. William it is said, moved regiments a lot, as he served in both the first and second world wars. John, it is believed died in WW1. I know that William married Mary Nesbitt in Antrim 1913, and that soon after they moved to Armagh. I have included a picture of William in his uniform, unfortunately, l don't hold the original, and my mother is away at present, so l'm unable to provide the back of the photo. Please can anybody help me trace them.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

The good news is that there were not that many Taylors in Connaught Rangers (good Protestant name Taylor!)

There were only 4 Taylor deaths that I can find in WW1 in Connaught Rangers - James, James, Albert Arthur, Frederick. If he died, then it would have been while serving with another regiment. 502 John Taylors died in WW1, so you have to know the regiment

On the medal card front there are only 32 Taylors with Connaught Rangers as at least 1 of their regiments

There is only 1 John on Medal Card Index with Connaught Rangers - 4987, who landed in France 2 May 1915

No William Taylors

There are people on the forum who know more about Connaught Rangers than I, so you might get more input

I would suggest you do the basics to clear up any doubts about them. Get their Birth Certs and marriage certs, and find them in 1911 census (free online)

Those will give you any extra names they might have had (for example William might have been his second name, but t was used by the family)

Did they always live in Antrim, were they Catholic

I see now that he has. It was suggested to him to post on the "Soldiers" forum by someone on his original thread. I have sent a report on the other thread to suggest that the mods lock that thread. He is more likely to get help here.

There are 18 John Taylors on "Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1918 " If you have his address it may make one spring out. You can certainly eliminate a number of them as born in England, or Kilkenny or whatever.

Threads now merged - which is why there is a bit of repetition

Alan

I have attached Williams photo, but unfortunately, my mother who is away owns the originals and so l was unable to include the back.

William appears to be in the Royal Artillery at the time that this photo was taken, rather than the Connaught Rangers.

Hi, William & John were both Church of Ireland. I am still trying to trace them on the 1901-1911 census, because on Williams marriage certificate, it gives no indication on where they live, only that the marriage took place in Antrim, and that Belfast is the place of residence, his father is down as Francis, it says that his father was a labourer.

I have just spoken on the phone to my mother, who says that is says " Connaught Rangers 1907" on the back of the photo, and not 1915.

I have been through the census again, and still nothing positive, l just can't seem to place all the names together. I do know that William went to live in laurelvale, Armagh, and that is where his family was brought up with his wife Mary. They also lived at Tandragee. Wish l could be more helpful.

In your first post you said "5th Connaught Ranger 1915" was written on the back of the photo, this you corrected to "Connaught Rangers 1907" but does it say "5th Connaught Rangers 1907"? If so this might help. In 1907 the 5th Bn. Connaught Rangers were Militia based in Roscommon.

"In 1881, under the Territorial Organisation of the forces of that year, the Roscommon Militia became the 5th Battalion, The Connaught Rangers. It remained so until August 1908, when, on the coming into operation of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act, 1907, it became the 4th (Special Reserve) Battalion...." From The Connaught Rangers, Volume II, by Jourdain and Fraser.

If they were in 5th Connaught Rangers in 1907 then they were almost certainly from the Roscommon/Mayo/Sligo/Leitrim area.

John

Another line of approach is to get Williams service record

". William it is said, moved regiments a lot, as he served in both the first and second world wars."

You say he served in WW2, so it will almost certainly exist

http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/service_r...rmy_kinship.pdf

Fill up this form and you will need date of birth and death cert copy, and it will cost you £30 but it might save you a lot of effort. You do not have his service no, but they will accept it with an exact date of birth.

Part of you problem at the moment is duff information - like the date of the photo.

You did say you had another photo of the two men together, it might be an idea to post that.

Had a look for Francis Taylor in the 1901 Census with Sons William and John with no luck in the 31 entries.

Hi, My son found this, but although we know it is a census...obviously! We really don't understand it.. I was wondering if anyone else can shed some light on it. Could this be William & John, and if so does that mean they lived in the barracks? By the way, I would just like to say how grateful l am to you all for you help.

post-56073-1276985895.jpg

And the MIC's for William James and John F Taylor -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Medal card of Taylor, William James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 1645 Farrier Serjeant

Royal Field Artillery 1645 Farrier Staff Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Medal card of Taylor, John F

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 369 Driver

Royal Army Service Corps EMT/54233 Driver

Date 1914-1920

John

Thanks for that!! Unfortuately it is in conflict to them born in Ireland, and my mother & everyone else say that he was definately born in Ireland, and was Church of Ireland. Ok.....So back to the search! :)

Medal card of Taylor, John F

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 369 Driver

Royal Army Service Corps EMT/54233 Driver

There is no sign of this man in either SDGW or CWGC however.

John

This is another possibility on the 1901 census -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page..._South/1383022/

William 10 so could have been a Ranger by 1907 and 22 when marrying in 1913. Church of Ireland and father Francis a Sgt. in the RIC. Also interesting that there is an Antrin connection with son George born there. But John is missing but of course could easily be staying with relatives, etc., on the night of the census.

John

This is another possibility on the 1901 census -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page..._South/1383022/

William 10 so could have been a Ranger by 1907 and 22 when marrying in 1913. Church of Ireland and father Francis a Sgt. in the RIC. Also interesting that there is an Antrin connection with son George born there. But John is missing but of course could easily be staying with relatives, etc., on the night of the census.

John

I saw that one as well John, what put me of was that according to Chynataz on Williams marriage certificate it says Francis the Father is a Labourer, I suppose things could have gone downhill for him by 1913.

Had a quick search for that family in 1911 and none of them seem to be either in Ireland in 1911 or took part in the census.