Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Lorraine King, MC DCM

corisande

Thanks for that Mark - as you know information on the Palestine Police is difficult to come by.

I never really managed to pin down William Lorraine King's between the wars career. He left ADRIC in Nov 1921, and apart from his divorce nothing till he rejoins British Army in WW2, eventually being buried in Gaza in 1942.

Our old friend Major Carew was certainly in Palestine Police for four years from 1922 to 1926

There does not appear to be a published list of Palestine police officers at that time. As far as I can see one has to visit St Antony's College to get the papers, they do not appear to be at NA. As the writer of that paper you refer to, notes, not much has been written about them.

Thanks Mark

The thing I would really like to find, and cannot, would be a list of the 750 men. As far as I can see the vast bulk of them are Black and Tans or ADRIC with some RIC thrown in

Hi,

This is what I could find in the Times & Irish Times

Regards Mark

30 Aug 1921

A new Gendarmerie is being organised of 500 men, 300 mounted of whom 50 on camels, and 200 unmounted.

To be employed in units not less than 25 in protection of frontiers against raids and suppressing internal disturbances

Advance party for Palestine arrived at Devonport 16 March 1921

750 men from ADRIC Aux to join the Palestine Gendarmerie (Main body) Embarked on the Steamer ‘City of Oxford’ at Devonport Dockyard 12 April 1922

Advance party left some weeks before. Organised for some months before in UK.

Major Andrew J W Mackenzie Palestine Police drowned in the Jordan 10 miles south of Lake Tiberias attempting to save the life of an Arab Police Inspector 16 April 1922

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘No recruiting for civilians for Palestine’2 Sept 1922

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘Apply to the Commissioner of the Civic Guard, Dublin Castle. Do not trouble about Palestine for some time’3 Feb 1923

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘Recruiting is still open. In your case the examination will be a mere matter of form. I would not advise you to staying in Palestine under the circumstances.’17 Feb 1923

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘No recruiting for Palestine.’16 June 1923

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘numbers of men returned from Palestine, and were not over pleased with their experiences.’ 14 July 1923

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘I have been informed some ex members of the RIC have returned from Palestine.’21 July 1923

Major General Sir Hugh Tudor General Officer Commanding in Palestine, has resigned his post and from April next the position will be abolished, and the British forces in the country will be placed under the command of Air Commodore Gerrard. This indicates that Palestine henceforward will be policed by the Air Force in much the same manner as Mesopotamia. 29 Feb 1924

Inspection of the Palestine Gendarmerie

Major Saunders commanding section at Jaffa Gate Barracks 22 April 1925

Colonel Angus McNeill commanded the Jerusalem contingent, a complete fighting unit, with Ford transport and a small mounted detachment for work in the hills 22 April 1925

Aerodrome at Ramallah 2 Troops with red sashes and pennoned lances commanded by Colonel Bewsher 22 April 1925

The Police Force 1 April 1926

a.Palestine Police Force

b.Palestine Gendarmerie: a dismounted British section and a mounted Palestinian section

c.Arab Legion in Transjordan

Both sections of Palestine Gendarmerie to be disbanded.

200 men of the British section and 2 officers and 250 men of the Palestinian section to be re engaged into the Palestine Police Force.

Arab Legion to be disbanded and a police force created in Transjordan recruited from the Legion.

The remainder of the Palestinian section will be form the a military force the called the Trans Jordan Frontier Force and will enlist the remainder of the Arab Legion. The force will be officered by serving British officers seconded from the Army or Royal Air Force. British Staff Sergeants and Sergeants will be attached from the Regular Army.

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘No vacancies at present for Palestine, and no likelihood of recruiting for a considerable period. If you write to the Secretary, Selection Board, Ministry of Finance, Cairo, you will be supplied with pamphlets of information.’ 31 July 1926

Reference in the Irish Times in the ‘Police Expert Column’ to ‘You might try for the Police forces of Mesopotamia and Palestine, which employ a number of ex RIC men. In this case apply to the Assistant Private Secretary (Appointments) Colonial Office, Whitehall, London’ 5 March 1927

Inspector R I C Broadhurst, Palestine Police Force joined Depot at Newtownards for training 15 May 1929

Lieutenant Colonel G R Foley Commander of the Palestine Police Force, visited his friends in the North recently. Formerly district inspector in the RIC.10 Aug 1929

100 men left Victoria Station for the Palestine Police via Calais and Marseille 10 Sept 1929

100 men had been recruited by the Crown Agents for the Colonies for the Palestine Police Force which was under strength. The bulk of men were under 25 and 75% had recently left the forces. Majority had served in the Brigade of Guards. They were recruited in 1 week.

A one year contract rather then a two year contract. Will be paid 11 pounds a month with free barrack accommodation. Most are single and those married will not be accompanied by wives

Kings Police Medal awarded to Major Alan Saunders MC, Deputy Commandant Palestine Police and Raymond Oswald Cafferata, Assistant District Superintendant, Palestine Police 25 Sept 1929

Irish Times 3 Sept 1929

post-14045-054341200 1293758857.jpg

post-14045-006592900 1293758864.jpg

Thanks very much for all those snippets Mark.

The picture is building better for me now. The interesting thing about the Palestinian police service is how little it was talked about. I have had a great deal of difficultly finding any descendants of Palestine men knowing (or willing to talk) about their ancestor's service in Palestine.

As far as I can tell from looking at the figures, about 130 ADRIC men went on to join the Palestinian Police and plus about 600 ex-RIC men. In comparison to to size of the ADRIC, that is a large chunk of them going on to Palestine.

Thanks Mark

They were certainly "hard men". Most served in WW1, followed by volunteering for Russia, some even managed to squeeze in Lithuania, then Ireland, then Palestine

• 7 years later...

W L King was in SA Police based in Bloemfontein from circa 1905. He enlisted there in Aug 1915. He was originally recruited as Sgt, but the CSM , A M  Rankin requested relief at Bordon camp in Dec. Consequently W L king was promoted acting CSM in Dec 1915. For more details of 2 Regt SAI,  B Coy suggest www.awillowinthewind.com

BLH.

BLHutch

Thank you very much for that. And I have added your info

In fact I have him on another page now - click for new page - which I did when I started a new site for the ADRIC

It is interesting that in the Company photo, as a CSM he looks like an NCO and in later photos as an officer, he looks like an officer!

Edited by corisande