Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification please

AnGemEngland

sorry to have have revisited ground you have covered - I do wonder if that could be an artillery uniform though - if that could be a grenade badge on collar ... it would fit in fine with pictures I have c.1910 .. but I am none too familiar with prewar RE uniforms ..

david

Thanks David, I know the one you mean (did he have tattoos) and I also dismissed it when I saw the wifes name

I know my grandfather got married in Liverpool in 1914 as I have the marriage cert, and on his first childs birth cert he is living in Liverpool (also 1914)

Ive not got a lot to go on and I think I know every Henry Hindle listed on Ancestry personally now

Ive searched my local church records and found his death and grave (no stone) and also have his death cert

Thank you again for looking for me

I will not give up on finding him even if I have to wait for the next 2 census. I want to pass this info onto my grandsons

Anne

Thanks for all your help David

I only enquired here as I though it would be from WW1, I will now extend my search to before the war

I think my new hobby is going to last a long time :D

Anne

Ann, just a thought, if you have some softwear you could turn your image into a negative, see if the shoulder flash is more visible? worth a shot.

Russ

Thanks Russ, a good idea

Thats a job for my husband tomorrow then....... because I wouldnt have a clue how to do it, but he will

I'm new here.

Thr first impression I had was "America" Don't ask why, it was my first impression.

The picture seems to be older than you think, mid to late 19th C.

Signals, probably. Marine?

Just a thought

We seem to have got off the subject of medal ribbon identification. The picture quality is poor, and the increased magnification can both help and hinder. Try playing around with it a bit more; like Rusty said, some things show up better on a 'negative'.

Doesn't look like an IGS now that you've magnified it, or a KSA. QSA must still be a possibility, bearing in mind the quality of the picture, the effects of lighting on watered silk, and the fact that the pic has been played around with.

Also the shoulder title; it looks like a broad 'block' title, possibly too broad for 'RE', so more likely RFA or RGA? Again, it's very hard to be certain.

Alien; interesting thoughts, but I disagree about the age of the picture, her clothing and appearance don't look right for that period. I'm sticking with my earlier guess-timate.

As for the whole wedding photo question; I doubt we'll know, but the conventions tended to be that there would be a degree of formality that this picture lacks (and that's what's so charming about it), also there is usually some conspicuous display of wedding rings (hands positioned in such a way so as to show off a ring), a hat, gloves, a spray of flowers, she'd probably be wearing a jacket. The hand on her hip demonstrates a high degree of intimacy, so I'm guessing that they're already married, or are at least engaged.

...could be Royal Artillery, (Field and Garrison) but definately not Royal H.A., as their jackets were more heavily braided.

Royal Artillery also wore the "chicken guts' braid on the sleeve but with red collars only. Sleeve cuffs were blue. Can't tell if the sleeve cuffs are colored, but I will put my money on R.A. or R.E.

DrB

:thumbsup:

Whilst headgardener may be right (he usually is!).......

Ha!

Kevin; Keep it up, mate! The Fiver is in the post......

He's wearing 'blues', the give away being the button o the flap of the breast pocket. Considering both the RE and RA wore flaming grenade collars, then it makes it a bit more difficult to decide and I'm sure both wore the knot too. The S/T is just too blurry to be recognisable.

I'm far from an expert, but you might want to try looking at her clothes as well. The leg of mutton sleeves are usually associated with 1890s fashion, though these are quite subdued. It's almost a pity it's so informal, as if she had a hat it might help confirm that the date is right.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update and to thank you all again for your input. I would never have thought to look for military records before 1914

I think I have found my grandfather

There`s a Henry Hindle on the 1901 Wales census, aged 18, born in Preston and looks like training Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery at Newport Barracks

On the 1911 census Henry Hindle No.7 Mountain Battery RGA Quetta Baluchistan India, age 28 born in Preston

I`m not sure its him but its the best one Ive found so far. I just wish I could find his military number

Just a quick question, any idea how old you had to be to join the forces in 1901. On the census where it says he is 18 I think he may actually be only 16. If its the Henry I think he is, he lived with his grandparents (his grandfather named Henry) and his mum was unmarried. His grandparents died and I think he went away to the army aged 16

A lot of maybe`s but at least its something to go on and it all started with your input

Thanks once again

Anne