Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunic on Ebay

john gregory

post-20062-1276589553.jpgpost-20062-1276589328.jpg

Tunic for sale on Ebay, this is going to go for plenty of ££££££, why cant I find one of these in a shed. M.M. winner as well.

Have you got the item number please? I can't find it

Yep, it is 230487753002

I like the American wound bars, which clearly belong. I only hope whoever ends up with it takes the right advice on cleaning the mould off (maybe a word with Roger here?) and resists any temptation to polish the brass!

This tunic fulfills many a collecting fantasy, being to an NCO, with a qualification, formation signs, wound stripes and MM ribbon etc. I hope that it is all original!

Owain.

I think i shall put a bid on thanks for the info ......

MC

I have just rang the building society to extend my mortgage.

Just pushed it to 280 pounds this is going to be a good battle

MC

Just pushed it to 280 pounds

What was the point of doing that? It's obviously going to make three times that, maybe four, and anyway all the serious bids will come in the last minute.

having learnt my lesson from eBay where I was always outbid at the last second and couldn't figure out how...check out 'goofbay.com' which is a good way of searching for mispelt items going for a song and also for 'eBay sniper' which bids you in higher at 1 second to go....

I won't be bidding by the way and I don't work for eBay..

What was the point of doing that? It's obviously going to make three times that, maybe four, and anyway all the serious bids will come in the last minute.

True i bid up to 451 i will sit back and wait.... :blink: :blink: :mellow:

MC

I like the American wound bars, which clearly belong.

Sorry - I'm a bit lost: what do you mean by "American wound bars"? Did we use Lend-Lease (so to speak) wound bars?

And, chaps - be careful about this: your lady wives might be looking at this thread. Mum's the word (if you know what I mean ;) )

And I'm not bidding.

.........And, chaps - be careful about this: your lady wives might be looking at this thread. ............. ;) )

Steve

It's OK; she is not bidding :(

Unless she is planning to win purchase it just in time for my birthday in 15 days time :w00t:

Andy

Sorry - I'm a bit lost: what do you mean by "American wound bars"? Did we use Lend-Lease (so to speak) wound bars?

No, but there was a nice 19th Div RFA tunic (posted on here ages ago by tocemma) with the same thing - American insignia used as a wound stripe. 19th Div were training US troops so it all fitted. I can't remember whether the bars are US wound stripes or something else US, but would imagine the soldier put them up as a "fun" thing and that this is what's happened here.

Then surely that on its own should set some bells ringing, US stripes used as wound bars for 'fun'??? Can we have some references for that that originate somewhere other than this forum?

Mick

Then surely that on its own should set some bells ringing, US stripes used as wound bars for 'fun'??? Can we have some references for that that originate somewhere other than this forum?

Mick

As has been pointed out many times on GWF, all sorts of unofficial things were done - tunics tailored to strange shapes, regimental buttons worn, and probably lots of other things I can't think of here and now. These bars look about as "all of a piece" with the rest of it as anything I've ever seen. The whole thing has obviously been together for many, many years.

BTW I have no connection with the item, or the seller, and am not bidding on it.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole: whoever buys it is going to attract a lot of disbelief and sniggers when [if] it is shown off. Are we to assume a sergeant got away with actually wearing this?

I too am mystified by all the extra Hershy bars, and also the reference above to 'qualification'. Can't see any myself.

Most interesting.

It is clear that these "wound bars" have been there a long time as the jacket folding is also on the bars.

I wasn't aware that uniforms were being "customised" like that but it does make sense. The feeling of being an individual will out in odd ways.

It certainly looks "right" to me - but I have to stress that I know JS about WW1 uniforms - but the price indicates what a nice item it is.

The soldier concerned would be absolutely amazed by the price that it will sell for!

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole: whoever buys it is going to attract a lot of disbelief and sniggers when [if] it is shown off. Are we to assume a sergeant got away with actually wearing this?

I too am mystified by all the extra Hershy bars, and also the reference above to 'qualification'. Can't see any myself.

The only disbelief and sniggers will be from those who don't know a good thing when they see it!