Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Jocelyn Lee Hardy, DSO, MC and bar

corisande

Mark

No I don't think that is him. it must be another J L Hardy - our man would not have been in RAF in command of an AA Battery, and certainly would not have been a probationary Pilot Officer.

Hi,

Alot of interesting stuff listed on this document

Regards Mark

(6) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Ballock, Bloodhound Section, Gormanstown Camp’.

1 item, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘Lt J. Baxendale M.C., 1st Batt Loyal Regt., Portobello

Bcks, 39 Royal Canal Phibsboro’. Includes a photograph of a woman.

6 items, undated

Envelope 3: ‘Const. Campbell, Maryboro’. 6 items, undated.

(7) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: Cadets Denteith and Waddington, ‘F’ Company, Auxiliary

Division RIC. Printed photograph. 1 item, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘T/C Jack Dunne’. 1 item, undated.

Envelope 3: ‘Const. Doherty’. 5 items, undated.

(8) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Six Auxies ‘F’ Coy’. The names are listed on the back of

the first photograph: Cadet Carson, Major Stokes, Thompson,

Reynolds, Bennett, Warrior. 10 items, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘ ‘F’ Coy Aux’. 7 items, undated.

(9) Photographs of British agents, policeman and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Lt Col Haldene’. 4 items, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘DI Gore Hilman RIC’. 4 items, undated.

Envelope 3: ‘Igoe’. 1 item, undated.

(10) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘ ‘Capt’ Jones & two others’. 10 items, undated.

(11) Photographs of British agents, policeman and soldiers:

Envelope 1: Lord Londonderry in soldier’s uniform and T.C. Vaughn

B Coy in police uniform. 2 items, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘T.H. Marchmont, DBO Branch, GHQ’. 4 photographs

and 1 negative. 5 items, c. 1921.

Envelope 3: ‘O’Neill, Ardfert, Kerry’. 1 item, undated

Envelope 4: ‘Constable O’Lone, RIC. 1 item, undated.

(12) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Sec Leader Schofield, ‘F’ Co. Aux Castle’.

3 items, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘J.J. Shields’. 2 items, undated.

Envelope 3: ‘D/I Simpson ‘F’ Coy Aux’. The envelope also contains a

photograph of an unknown member of the crown forces.

5 items, undated.

(13) Photographs of British agents, policeman and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Sergt Singleton’. 26 items, undated.

(14) Photographs of British agents, policemen and soldiers:

Envelope 1: ‘Special Gang ‘F’ Coy Aux’. 5 items, undated.

Envelope 2: ‘Sturgis, Byrne & another’. Sturgis probably refers to

Mark Sturgis, Assistant Under Secretary of State at Dublin Castle.

Yes, he seems to have had a photograph of everybody and anybody. Particularly F Coy Aux.

The photo of F Company is becoming more confused to me

The NLI had emailed me last weeks that their photo in the Beaslai collection said on the envelope "The photograph was acquired in an envelope marked Cairo Gang "F" Coy Aux."

While the abstract you have now found says "Special Gang, "F" Coy Aux"

One wonders what it really says on the envelope!

"THE KEY"

R GORE-BROWNE; J L HARDY

The Observer Sep 10, 1933;

Regards Mark

post-14045-1275987300.jpg

Thanks Mark

hardy was certainly a man of many parts, but his writings do not seem to have endured, in other words his books are (virtually) forgotten. It would be ironic if they got resurrected for the centenary of 1920

Hi,

He also seems to have done some Radio work

Mark

The Times, Saturday, Jul 04, 1931

post-14045-1275992686.jpg

He also attended the Connaught Rangers Regimental Dinner

4 June 1931

2 June 1933

7 June 1934

6 June 1935

28 May 1936

3 June 1937

2 June 1938

Hardy and King seconded ? Captain J.L. Hardy, DSO, MC and bar, was not a member of "F" Company of the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. (or any other Company of the A.D.R.I.C.) I would suggest that he was seconded for duty with the R.I.C. (still on the active list until 1925) working under Lt. Col. Ormonde De L'epee Winter, (also seconded from the army) in Lt. Col. Winters 'new' integrated intelligence organization which had its headquarters in Dublin Castle. "F" Company did not have an intelligence section, but in common with other Auxiliary Companies had an Intelligence Officer. It is to be expected that "F" Company and the intelligence organization, although separate organizations, would work closely together, especially as they were both operating out of Dublin Castle. Captain W.L. King, MC, DCM, was the Commanding Officer of "F" Company and the apprehension of I.R.A. suspects by "F" Company, gave him plenty of opportunities to work with Capt. Hardy during interrogations. Captain King was suspended on 13/2/21 when James Murphy was found shot to death, on the outskirts of Dublin, he had been interrogated by Capt. King a few hours earlier. At the subsequent Court Martial Capt. King was found not guilty and his suspension from duty was removed on 16/4/21. On the same day, he left "F" Company and assumed command of "R" Company, five weeks later he moved from "R" Company and assumed command of "D" Company, in Galway. He stayed with "D" Company until he relinquished command on 15/11/21, a note in the records states that he ceases to be attached to A.D.R.I.C. which would suggest that he was seconded as well.

Dez

Dez

Thanks you for your input

1. "Captain J.L. Hardy, DSO, MC and bar, was not a member of "F" Company of the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. " I assume you have a list of F Coy members. Is it in a form you can post here or send me if I give you my email

2. I have stuff on King. can you tell me what the dance hall murdes were in Galway that he seems to have become embroiled in.

3. I am particularly interested in F Coy in terms of seeing if the "Cairo Gang" photo discussed on this thread is more an "F Coy" photo, as NLI now tell me it has "Cairo Gang, F Coy Aux" on the envelope, can be proven to be F Coy

corisande,

Sorry I don't have a list of "F" Company members, my information comes from the Auxiliary Division Registers and Capt. J. L. Hardy is not named anywhere in the registers. I have no information on Captain King's time in Galway. Speculation about the "Cairo Gang" photograph is nothing new, I read somewhere that Michael Collins thought they were associated with "F" Company, I find that strange, as M.Collins had an Auxiliary in "F" Company supplying him with photographs and information, and as these photographs were numbered, I am sure names were supplied with them. The renegade Auxiliary was Lieutenant J.C. Reynolds, No. 584, a Section Leader in "F" Coy. He was transferred to "G" Company on 15/6/21.

Dez

Dez

Thanks.

"Auxiliary Division Registers" are where, NLI? I must try to get to them next time I am in Dublin

corisande

The Auxiliary Registers are held at the National Archives in London, in the Home Office section, under H.O. 184, 50/51 covering nos. 1 - 2214. A few things to be aware of, the entries in the registers are handwritten, they are not in alphabetical order but in the order of joining up starting at no.1. There is an alphabetical name list included with this group of records, but due to a combination of fadeing and illegible writing this list is about 40% useful. There is also some fadeing in the registers. If I were in Dublin, I would like to examine the seven photographs (or copies) of "F" Coy. in the Piaras Beasli Collection, held by the NLI and hope that they had copied the backs of the photographs as well.

Dez

Thanks for the references to the Auxiliaries Register. I can add that to my list for Kew in August.

I already have a note of the Beaslai Collection references that Mark put here, and hope to see those sometime later in the year (Dublin is too hot to visit in the summer :) )

• 2 months later...

Doug

I think your PM box is full, the system tells me you cannot receive any more emails. I have put my email therefore in your Comment box here

Dear Corisande

In 1932 the BBC broadcast 16 talks by men who had escaped from prison camps WW1, including Captain JL Hardy. These talks were published by Bodley Head in a book entitled Escapers All. I guess that you have already read his book I escape, and the only reason that I have postedthis is that there is a photo of Capt Hardy in Escapers All. By modern standards the reproduction is poor but it is a reasonable likeness. It MIGHT scan if you need it. Will certainly try if needed.

Inkerman

That is very kind of you. I do in fact have the photos, and your post made me realise that I had not updated his page recently

For those of you wanting to see Hardy he is on my web page

http://www.cairogang.com/escaped/hardy/hardy.html

Hi

Interesting thread. One thing I would like to question.

I've never heard of the killings by Collins men called Bloody Sunday, usually this seems to be reserved for the incident at Croke part later that day.

Cheers

Afraid this one is deep, I suggest we keep it off this thread

You can read about it on my web site but if you want to know about.

Please start another thread, otherwise Hardy's thread here will be submerged in a discussion about Bloody Sunday

Yes, absolutely. It's a very interesting thread, one which I don't want to hijack :unsure:

Cheers

• 4 years later...