Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.I.C's

roughdiamond

Steve

Not to be nasty here mate, but could you carry on your posts to Tom elsewhere, I keep getting notification my thread has been added to when it's nothing to do with it.

Sam

I keep getting notification my thread has been added to when it's nothing to do with it.

Sam

Not quite sure how you see it as having "nothing to do with it" when you asked in your initial posting "Would someone have to serve abroad to receive the War and Victory medals?" and the way the thread panned out. My postings only prove that you didn't have to serve abroad to receive the War medal as there were exceptions but hey ho, if you're going to get precious over your thread then I'll post any more results elsewhere (I will leave them here though as it does answer Tom's question).

Steve

Dont want to contribute towards starting a fight in an empty room - but Steve, I found your postings to be extremely interesting and, in my view, relevant to the sublect.

On the face of it the "evidence" which you have produced seems to break every rule in the book regarding BWM qualification, and the cases you highlight invite further examination.

If I can find any other information as to how these cases could possibly have arisen (and verifying them) then I'll post it - but maybe elsewhere :lol:

Tom

As far as the whole "no MIC, therefore no overseas service" debate is concerned, some MIC's are definately missing; I have a BW&VM pair to a Private in the Queens who was KIA in 1916 or 17, can't remember details off the top of my head (Thomas John Bloxham, if my memory serves me right) and he's on the medal roll, but no MIC. At first I assumed that it had just been mis-filed, but I tried searching after they were digitized (variations of his name, regimental No, etc), and nothing. So theoretically, according to the "no MIC" rule, he didn't serve abroad.

Hi All and headgardener,

Thomas James Bloxham G/19739 Royal West Kent does have a MIC on Ancestry and his relations also have their family tree, It would be great to reunite them with the medals. (Headgardener - thanks for the info have sent you a PM)

Regards Barry

Hi All and headgardener,

Thomas James Bloxham G/19739 Royal West Kent does have a MIC on Ancestry and his relations also have their family tree, It would be great to reunite them with the medals. (Headgardener - thanks for the info have sent you a PM)

Regards Barry

Can I just say that 'respect is due' to The Inspector for his detective work.

Bloxham's MIC is missing from the microfiche index at Kew, although this could simply have meant that it was misfiled, but it's also missing from the NA 'Documents online' database. Yet it IS on the Ancestry site.

Clearly it always existed, but the people who did the original copying for the old PRO just missed it out. Are there more, I wonder?

So, the moral of this story is; don't give up if you can't find an MIC first time you look (or 2nd time, in my case).

Not quite sure how you see it as having "nothing to do with it" when you asked in your initial posting "Would someone have to serve abroad to receive the War and Victory medals?" and the way the thread panned out. My postings only prove that you didn't have to serve abroad to receive the War medal as there were exceptions but hey ho, if you're going to get precious over your thread then I'll post any more results elsewhere (I will leave them here though as it does answer Tom's question).

Steve

Steve – There have been some developments. I’ll “re-start” the broader issue in “Other” as >

BWM Entitled

No overseas service

You’ll be safe from claims of piracy or highjack if you post there !

Regards – Tom