Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48th South Midland Division

rmtnuke

Hi. My grandfather, who died in 1950 and whom I never met, served as the Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services for the 48th South Midland Division in France, Belgium and Italy. He was Major BM Thornton MC. I have found he wrote war diaries which are in the National Archives. Would he have been the only officer writing diaries for the division...or would he have simply been representing his own area of work? Would he have been billeted with fellow soldiers or would he have been posted - by necessity - some way from everyone else? Are there any books about the AOC or about his role as DADOS? After the Somme, Ypres and Italy, he went on to become a political agent before signing up for WW2 in military liaison for Western Command...whatever that entailed. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be hugely grateful to hear from you. Regards, Robin

Robin,

Follow the link here and it will give you some basic info on the Division. At the bottom of the page is the ORBAT for the division. You could cross reference that with the list of war dairies that members of this forum hold. The list can be found here.

He would not have been the only one in the Division to write a diary, either official or personal. Each Battalion, Brigade, Individual unit wrote diaries. The majority of soldiers did also.

Another avenue for you could be to check out the book at the Naval and Military Press here. They do some beautiful books at a reasonable price.

So, there's a start.

Cheers Andy.

Robin,

Follow the link here and it will give you some basic info on the Division. At the bottom of the page is the ORBAT for the division. You could cross reference that with the list of war dairies that members of this forum hold. The list can be found here.

He would not have been the only one in the Division to write a diary, either official or personal. Each Battalion, Brigade, Individual unit wrote diaries. The majority of soldiers did also.

Another avenue for you could be to check out the book at the Naval and Military Press here. They do some beautiful books at a reasonable price.

So, there's a start.

Cheers Andy.

Andy, that's all very kind of you. Many thanks for being so helpful. I'll get cracking! Regards, Robin

Andy, that's all very kind of you. Many thanks for being so helpful. I'll get cracking! Regards, Robin

Hey, it's what we do, and welcome to the forum.

I had a thought - His MC citation may be in the London Gazette. Do you know the full first names of Major Thornton? Had a quick look and may need his complete name.

I'm also one of those rather chuffed that my little football team finished in the top four and now get to play the big boys for a spot in the Champions League.

Cheers Andy.

C'MON YOU SPURS.

THORNTON Bernard Martin T/Capt. MC Army Ordnanance Corps FF L.Gaz 1.1.18 page 47.

Phiilip

Hey, it's what we do, and welcome to the forum.

I had a thought - His MC citation may be in the London Gazette. Do you know the full first names of Major Thornton? Had a quick look and may need his complete name.

I'm also one of those rather chuffed that my little football team finished in the top four and now get to play the big boys for a spot in the Champions League.

Cheers Andy.

C'MON YOU SPURS.

Hi, Andy. Yes, I have tracked down his MC citation in the London Gazette. He was then Capt Bernard Martin Thornton and he seems to have got the award on 1 January 1918. I believe that means it was for meritorious service rather than for valour - I can find no exact citation. Great news about the Spurs - and Mr Capello has rewarded some of our star players this morning, I see. I have been a fan since 1959 and, after Danny Blanchflower, the greatest footballer ever to have graced WHL and possibly the world stage was James Peter Greaves. My daughter arranged for me to meet him on my 50th (a few years ago now!) which was a wonderful occasion. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Robin

THORNTON Bernard Martin T/Capt. MC Army Ordnanance Corps FF L.Gaz 1.1.18 page 47.

Phiilip

Philip - that is extremely kind of you to have looked up my grandfather. Actually, I had been poring over the Gazettes for many months before a lady wrote to me with the details - I just couldn't really come to terms with how you EVER tracked anyone down! I was saying earlier, I think he got the MC 'for meritorious service' rather than for a particular act of bravery (it was awarded 1 Jan 1918, as you say). I imagine that being the DADOS in the ordnance corps didn't exactly lead to acts of bravery...unless I'm talking through my hat?? Thanks, again, Philip. Regards, Robin