Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform identification

Daveself

Hi

I am new to this forum, please excuse any errors.

I am trying to identify the regiment and style of uniform of the soldier in the photo, who I believe is my uncle.

It would have been taken around 1913-1915 give or take a few years. post-55249-1273481903.jpgI don't know where. The collar dogs indicate the unit could be Royal Engineers but I can't find a referrence to the style of uniform, No1 dress possibly? I would appreciate any insights members might have.

Regards

Dave

The photo it appears was taken in India, which always throws up oddments in dress. Personally I think that as the jacket is of the cavalry pattern with ball buttons and grenade collar badges, I believe it's probably a branch of the Royal Artillery. The lace on the jacket, collar and cuff although looking dark could actually be yellow in colour as sepia photography is colour blind.

The collar badge arrangement is rather curious as normally they are horizontal with the ball facing the collar opening.

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum

I'd agree with Max over the grenades being Fusilier. The jacket looks like the sort of thing many volunteer units wore. It might not be India (thats not a tiger skin and it doesn't look like the Indian Leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) either and could just the a photographer's prop along with the bamboo furniture)

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum

I'd agree with Max over the grenades being Fusilier. The jacket looks like the sort of thing many volunteer units wore. It might not be India (thats not a tiger skin and it doesn't look like the Indian Leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) either and could just the a photographer's prop along with the bamboo furniture)

Sorry but have to say definately not Fusiliers and much too late for Volunteers. Still has an Indian/Far East feel for me.

Pure mystery. I doesn't look like a uniform that a "regular" would wear, so, either India or Union of South Africa....we should consider territorials or such.

Now, there are literally dozens of units that could wear this type of uniform, from mounted rifles, artillery, or even cavalry (discounting the rather odd collar badges)

Gaylor, in "Sons of John Company" lists many to consider, just for India.

I hope someone can solve this enigma.

Doc B

:huh:

Could it be an african leopard? South Africa?

David.

Given that its a photographers studio it could be anywhere

The uniform is rather like that worn on formal occasions by a junior European officer in the 2nd Gurkha Rifles (King Edwards Own) circa 1904 - except for those collar grenades!

sepia photography is colour blind.

There is no such thing as sepia photography - only sepia prints made from negatives produced from a number of emulsions. Different emulsions register various colours in different tones. Once the negative has been fixed its the photographer's choice to use paper with sepia tones or grey shades to print the photograph. I have family photos where a copy has been printed in sepia and another in grey shades - both from the same negative

Jacket/ tunic & trousers and collar dogs = Artillery for me.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Although I am not much wiser.

I found an exact match for the tunic on a trooper of the 10th Royal Hussars c1905, although I have also discovered, it was not uniquely a cavalry style. The collar dogs still remain a mystery and I think the setting for the photo may not necessarily be in foreign parts. Nevertheless if you have any more ideas, please post.

As a matter of interest the same person also served in the RFC, the MGC and in the RN in WW2. All three services. It's a very intrigueing search on my part.

Thanks

Dave

I found an exact match for the tunic on a trooper of the 10th Royal Hussars c1905, although I have also discovered, it was not uniquely a cavalry style.

Absolutely! - this style of tunic was worn by rifle regiment officers and senior NCOs in the late Victorian period, though usually with the rifles cross belt, and with toggles rather than ball buttons and obviously not with grenade collar dogs!

This pic of a KRRC Lieutenant is from 1884 ...

post-20192-1273535622.jpg

See also the left hand pic in this post: Rifle Brigade Colour Serjeant

Obviously your chap is neither KRRC nor RB, I merely post these to reinforce your point about this style of tunic not being restricted to cavalry.

Cheers,

Mark

It is odd isn't it-I don't think artillery because of the double stripe on the overall. RA is generally a single wide red stripe and this has been carried on in most armies influenced by it . I wonder if it is one of the yeomanry regiments converted to artillery after the First World War? Is it some esoteric branch fo the Honorable Artillery Company?Does the haircut- which strikes me as 1920/30s- give us a clue?

if it was a South African unit it could I suppose be Transvaal Horse Artillery or Cape Field Artillery

Greg