Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First mass bombing raid on UK by aeroplanes

Guest Pete Wood

It was, thank you. Will keep you posted re the search.

Curious to know why you have changed your name?

Robbie

It was, thank you. Will keep you posted re the search.

Curious to know why you have changed your name?

Robbie

Two reasons Robbie.

First, when I joined the Forum I thought it was commonplace to have a "handle" rather than use your name. I was wrong and have always felt somewhat fraudulent using the name of "Signals", which has led several people to assume I served with the Signal Corps.

Secondly, when you and Gary approached me at Canterbury Uni I thought it would be more simplistic if you could have said "are you Jon/Jonathan" and that it was likely someone else would have been more reticent in going up to a stranger and saying "are you Sigs".

Jon (BAKER PAL formerly known as Sigs)

Sounds good to me Jonathon. Looking forward to the Pals trip, are you?

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

With Gary's help and an excellent map provided by Folkestone council we found Elizabeth Maxted's gravestone. As you can see it was rather dark and very cold, too. I have attached the best pic out of the ones I took.

rOBBIE

post-25-1106509856.jpg

Hi Jon,

Robbie has asked me to post the photo I took of Elizabeth Maxted's grave this afternoon. I have a larger version (1728 x 2304 pixels) I can send you.

Gary

post-25-1106517408.jpg

Robbie, Gary ... many thanks. I hope finding it didnt put you to as much trouble as it sounds it did :ph34r:

Jon

Jon,

It was no trouble at all, well ..not after I roped in a mate to help.. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ensign Moore

Greetings.

You might be interested in having a look at my wesite, www.coastofconflict.com. This month's Feature is the Great Air raid of May 1917. There are pictures as well as some description. There is even more in the book!!!

Mike

I picked up a copy of "A Glint in the Sky" by Martin Easdown & Thomas Genth this morning while I was in Folkestone. This book was mentioned briefly in this thread about the air raid on Folkestone 25.5.1917. A number of the victims are buried in Cherition (Old) Cemetary, Folkestone.

This is a terrific little book (160pp) and has many old photos showing the victims, the damage, German planes etc.

Covers the events both before and after the May 1917 air raid, including the air and sea raids of sept 1917-August 1918.

PS. Wasn't sure whether this should be posted in here (as it has been mentioned briefly here) or in Book reviews.

Would recommend it highly.

Robbie :)

PS. I am happy do look-ups if required.

Edited by robbie