Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First mass bombing raid on UK by aeroplanes

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

On the 25th May 1917 around 21 Gotha bombers attacked the South East coast, at Folkestone and Shorncliffe etc, killing nearly 100 civilians and military personnel - and injuring over 250.

The roots of 'Blitz' warfare.....??

Were they targeting civilians? Or was there still a pretence at aiming at military and infrastructure targets, with civilian casualties being "colateral" victims?

I have always understood that the bombing of Gernica by the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War was the first blatent use of aerial bombing of civilians as a terror weapon.

Tim

For those wishing to see contemporary accounts, there are several mentions of this event in the War Diaries of the Canadian units at Shorncliffe. These can be found at the usual place, here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

The most detailed account is by the Assistant Director of Medical Services, Shorncliffe, who provides quite a bit of detail. His summary of casualties for that area is as follows:

Military

Imperials Killed 2

Canadians " 16

Imperials Wounded 4

Canadians " 86

Total 108

Civilians killed 68

" wounded 56

Total 124

Military Casualties 108

Civilian " 124

Grand Total 232

Another account breaks down the Canadian casualties by unit.

RT,

"Jimmy" Goble wrote of the daylight raids by enemy bombers whilst posted to Dover between April - June 1917.

Regarding the raids he wrote;

"During the period mentioned the daylight raids by enemy bombers were commenced and it was a matter of interest to see the change in attitude of the man in the street towards the flying officer in uniform. Admiration was replaced by openly expressed hostility."

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

Hi,

I'm sure its been covered on the forum before, but just to add to the notion of bombing used as a terror weapon in WW1 - whilst not on the same scale (or ambition) as Geurnica, it is worth noting that bombing raids on central London did cause problems to the extent that a gun crew was sited on top of the dual high level walkways on Tower Bridge. The early attempts were Zeppelins, but bombers were also used later in the war - clearly a high density of civilian/prestige targets, but not the military capability to inflict economic damage on a scale of World War Two.

This kind of attack was a shock to the population of a city that until this point had never come under direct attack in modern times, delivering a propoganda victory of being able to take the war right to the heartland of the enemy, regardless of the English Channel.

Also, if you are in London, visit Cleaopatra's Needle, which is near to Embankment Tube Station - the war damage inflicted by the first ever Zeppelin raid on central London can still be seen.

hope this is of interest

doogal

Guest Pete Wood

The targets were 'meant' to be military. Historic buildings, such as St Paul's cathedral, were NOT to be hit - nor was Buckingham Palace (on the express orders of the Kaiser).

But after British reprisal bombing raids, the order NOT to attack West London was diluted somewhat by the German bomber command.

It should be noted, though, that WW1 bomb aiming techniques (and equipment) would not have allowed ANY form of accuracy. But the bombers were, in theory, aiming at the docklands in the East End of London.

The 'first blitz' was not only a propoganda victory; the damage inflicted (at times) on property and the casualties were often quite high. However, it should be pointed out that many casualties were 'own goals.' The anti-aircraft shells, fired by the British, did not fracture into small parts - and great lumps of hot British iron raining down on the populace caused many deaths and injuries and much damage.

One of the saddest incidents, with regard to civilians, was the bomb dropped (by Gotha) on the primary school in Poplar (east London) on the 13th June 1917, which killed some 18 children (all aged around 5 years). There is a lovely memorial in Poplar Recreation Ground which records the tragedy.

Guest Hill 60
Also, if you are in London, visit Cleaopatra's Needle, which is near to Embankment Tube Station - the war damage inflicted by the first ever Zeppelin raid on central London can still be seen.

Can't remember his name, but a London Fireman was killed whilst dealing with the aftermath of the bombing on London.

I think 13th June 1917, the day of the Poplar bombing, was the date of the the first significant raid on London - followed for a month by daylight raids.

The economic impact of these raids was mostly related to disturbed work patterns as workers took shelter, and although there was genuine destruction £3-4 million(?approx.), the German military had hoped that this kind of bombing might spark large scale civil disorder in the capital. Whilst they succeeded in creating a level of panic - and indeed indigantion towards Parliament from the population - the main result was a strengthened air defence.

The positioning of the gun crew on Tower Bridge served both as a percieved defence for the City as well as for the close by warehouses, which at this time still extended much of the way along the banks of the Thames in London - with the notable exception of The Tower. Tower Bridge at this time was one of the tallest structures in London - slightly shorter than Monument, so was a natural choice for placing the gun. It was also a very visible statement of intent for the populace to see.

IWM hold a photgraph of the gun crew posted on the bridge right at the end of the war. With careful study, just behind the crew, it is possible to make out the steel laticework of the two girder bridge walkways where the gun was stationed.

As Racing Teapots pointed out, dropping bombs was one thing, aiming them was something else entirely, and Tower Bridge itself would have been a very lucky hit for a Gotha.

(it did suffer slight damage in WW2 when a bomb actually bounced off the side of the bridge)

Guest Pete Wood
.... the German military had hoped that this kind of bombing might spark large scale civil disorder in the capital. Whilst they succeeded in creating a level of panic - and indeed indigantion towards Parliament from the population - the main result was a strengthened air defence.

I believe the German plan worked. As you point out, the number of working days lost - due to air raid warnings (real or false) - was huge. I can't remember the stastics off hand, but we are talking HUGE numbers. All these working days lost, as reported by munitions factories, meant that shells weren't being made.....

As you also point out, the civilian poplace was angry about the raids. This drop in morale was transferred (by letter) to the Tommy at the front, who was now fretting about his Missus at home.....

Strengthened air defence?? Indeed there were more fighters put into the air, to protect Britain. But these planes and pilots didn't come from thin air. They were mostly valuable planes and crew who had, until they got their orders, been based in France. This meant less aeroplanes to go up against the German fighters and reconnaisance planes.

The Gotha was a very tricky aeroplane to shoot down, and most of the Zeppelins flew too high to be caught. So, overall, I believe it was quite an effective operation. Much more cost effective, for the Germans, than chucking the same amount of money (bomber running costs v artillery shells) across the trenches in France......

• 4 weeks later...

A book that will be of interest on this subject is "The Sky On Fire - The First Battle of Britian 1917-1918" by Raymond H. Fedette.

My father who was serving with the RNAS/RAF at Calshot and Chingford during the period of these raids describes them in his letters home from his perspective and that of those family friends who were impacted by them. "This last raid rather put the wind up them." describing a family who were moving out of London as a result of the raid of the night of May 19/20, 1918 which turned out to be the last raid conducted by Germany.

Bill

I must have missed this thread when it was first posted . Extremely interesting one .

I would have thought it was the start of the use of area bombing against civilian population's to undermine morale and cause panic . When the Gotha's swapped to night bombing they would have known that there was no possibility of accurate bombing . Same as when the Luftwaffe swapped to the Night Blitz , and also Bomber Command commencing night attacks .

Many of the procedures used in Britain during the B of B and the Night Blitz were first trialed at the time of the Gotha raids . Ofcourse they were hampered by a lack of available technology , but you can see the seeds of things to come . Sometimes it took a while for these lessons to be relearned . But I imagine the birth of the Chain Home and Chain Home Low radar systems would have been devised with the Gotha raids in memory . The idea of an aiming point of a raid being a military target smacks of just a nice way of " putting it " . It would have sounded so much better in both wars to say " we will be targeting the shell factory ...or the submarine works " instead of saying " we will be aiming at Mrs Baker's house ..or Fritz's cottage " . As it was even during wwii the supposed daylight pinpoint raids were not possible . The U.S.A.AF. flew such raids , and yet the German people couldn't tell the difference ?. Those aircrews were known as terrorfliegers , just the same as Bomber Commands .

I imagine when the Germans studied the outcome of the " first " blitz after wwi , they would have seen encouraging signs for a similar effort to be tried at a later date . As R.T says , the amount of manpower diverted , and also a feeling of fear by the public , way out of all proportion to effort exerted would have given the planners the feeling that maybe a concerted effort would have had huge rewards . Infact if the Bof B had been fought 2 years ealier before Britain had a supply of all metal monoplane fighters , then the predictions of men such as Douhett might have come true ?..Imagine the Bof B being fought with Gloster Gladiators ?? . Then the Night Blitz might have been only a part of the attack and not a neccesity . Had the RAF been knocked from the sky's , then an invasion by sea was not the biggest thing to worry about ( in my opinion ) but supremacy of the air would have had grave concequences for the supply of Britain by merchant convoy's .....Whoo there Phil ...this is way off topic now ...oh well this part of the site has been crying out for a long winded boring post ;) . If you want to see similarities between the Gotha raids and the Night Blitz ...read The Sky on Fire ( as already advised ) and then read " Target England " ...both give personal accounts by German crew members , and both have many similarities , even though the events are 20 odd years apart .

Just some thoughts .

Phil.

• 5 months later...

Hi RT

I've just spent the morning in Cheriton Road, cemetery Folkestone looking for a grave stone for a Pal. Didn't find it but have taken several photos of the gravestones of victims of this air raid. Would you like them?

Robbie

Hi RT

I've just spent the morning in Cheriton Road, cemetery Folkestone looking for a grave stone for a Pal. Didn't find it but have taken several photos of the gravestones of victims of this air raid. Would you like them?

Robbie

Robbie - Elizabeth Maxted wasnt one of them by any chance?

Signals,

Will upload them now and check for you.

Robbie

Hi Robbie

Yes, please!! I'd love a copy of any photos you have. You have my email address.

Thank you so much.

Sigs

I have a VERY grainy copy of a photo of Elizabeth Maxtead (31 years old), who was the wife of William Arthur Maxtead - a butcher's manager.

The Maxtead family lived at 5 Grove Road, Folkestone, and Elizabeth was killed by the bomb which fell in Tontine Street - injuries to the head and legs.

The grave is at A1700 © in Cheriton Road.

This info is courtesy of Martin Easdown, and you'll also find Elizabeth's photo in his book 'A Glint In he Sky.'

Pete,

Martin emailed me late last week (following your introduction) and I have sent off a reply. When I hear from him again I will mention Elizabeth Maxted nee Kitney. She was born about 200 yards from me but we were about 90 years apart. An obituary appeared in the local (Medway) paper (which I think I sent you previously) and may still be of interest to Martin.

Robbie,

If you have a photo of her grave I would appreciate a .jpg ... I think I am meeting you tomorrow at Kent Uni?

Jon

Hi Jon,

No I didn't take a pic of this one. However, will be going back in a couple of days so I will look out for her.

Yes tomorrow the Great War conference, should be good.

BTW: I had great difficulty locating the sections at this cemetry. ALso could not find plot numbers at all. Would appreciate advice re this if you have any hints.

Robbie

RT,

could you send me your email address again please?

Robbie

In 1993 there was still an empty plot near Folkestone town centre where a bomb from a Gotha had destroyed a building with considerable loss of life - kept empty as a memorial. Anyone know if it is still there?

Adrian

In 1993 there was still an empty plot near Folkestone town centre where a bomb from a Gotha had destroyed a building with considerable loss of life - kept empty as a memorial. Anyone know if it is still there?

Adrian

The shop, in Tontine Street was actually rebuilt after the raid - and was back in business within the month.

However, it was destoyed by fire (the arsonist also perished) in 1985. It was then left as a grassed area, and a plaque was placed in the centre of the plot (remembering those who perished in the Gotha raid).

It is now a pub garden for the Brewery Tap, and the plaque has been re-located on the edge of the plot.

Ah, I do remember being surprised at the time that a plaque had been erected relatively recently, though I couldn't remember why.

I will have to check the Good Beer Guide and see if it is worth a visit if I'm ever in Folkestone...

Thank you very much for that, RT, and a very merry Christmas!

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

There is a quite brief but very interesting account of the Folkstone raid in Richard Van Emdens "All quiet on the home front".

Stu

Hi Richard and Jon (aka Signals),

I have now received a plan of Cherition Old cemetary on which the plots of your people are marked. So if the weather holds I aim to get there tomorrow or SUnday. Will keep you posted. Sorry about the long wait.

Robbie

Robbie,

No worries about any delay ... infact I remain very grateful you are going to all this trouble.

Trust your New Year was very warm!

Jon