Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Researching a soldier"

dorel341

First, I want to thank you for letting me into this great forum.

I'm working on my ancestry and am stuck on finding what happened to an uncle of mine. I may have found him but the answer to the question I have is nowhere to be found. I need to know the name of his parent(s) to be sure it's the right one. Is there a way to find out his parents names? I only found out I had an uncle about 5 years ago when I first started on Ancestry. -

Name: Harry Haywood

Birth Place: Weymouth, Dorset

Residence: Worksop, Notts

Death Date: 7 Mar 1916

Enlistment Location: Hucknall Torkard, Notts

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Battalion: 10th Battalion.

Number: 28313

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theater of War: Aldershot

------------

HAYWOOD, HARRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/03/1916

Service No: 28313

Additional information: Husband of M. M Haywood, of 16, High St., Newmilns, Ayrshire. Native of Beeston, Nottingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 16A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

-------------

Thank you -

Is there a way to find out his parents names?

Short answer is "possibly yes" if his service file still exists (National Archives visit or Ancestry access needed) and "no" if it doesnt.

What information does his marriage certificate contain?

The marriage certificate will give the name and occupation of both fathers.

With a 1916 address and a place of birth, you stand a reasonable chance of finding a small set of possibles in the 1911 Census.

BTW be wary of Theatre of War = Aldershot; it is a very dangerous part of the country, but in 1914-18 was relatively placid. This data is a give-away that you are using Ancestry - it is probably wrong; Ancestry have been told of numerous errors in this data field, but so far seem to be determined to leave as is.

HTH

David

This looks like the chap your after :

HAYWOOD, Harry Llewellyn

Age 15

Born in 1896 in Weymouth Dorset

Occpation Helping In Nursery Gardens

Living at 24 Church St, Beeston, Nottinghamshire

If this is your chap, then there is something going on with the family that I cant work out :-(

He's listed with 2 sisters (same surname) and 3 brothers and a sister (diffrent surname - same as parents), but parents have been married for 22 yrs - oldest child 21yrs

Grant

Harry L HAYWOOD married a Maud M Webster Basford / 7b / 353 / 2nd qtr / 1915

seems to confirm the chap above

b - Haywood, Harry Llewellyn O / Weymouth / 5a / 291 / 3rd qtr / 1895

Parents are William (b Beeston, 1867) and Lilly (b Nottingham, 1869) Potter

Grant

Thank you David and John for your replies.

Grant

I am awed that you could find the information so quickly. Where did you find it??? Is it from the 1911 census?

The first part of your reply is his mother married again in 1901. Sisters- Phoebe Frances Haywood (my mother) and Beatrice Haywood. 3 step brothers, last name Potter. His mother married in 1901 to a William Potter.

I have his birth and the marriage record from Ancestry and the 1901 census.

Quote--

Parents are William (b Beeston, 1867) and Lilly (b Nottingham, 1869) Potter

Is the the above quote also from the 1911 census??

Dorel

Dorel,

Sorry, should have welcomed you to the forum last night :blush:

Yes, the quote and family info is from the 1911

the birth and marriage info is from freeBMD

1911 is down for maintence at the mo,so I cant get back to check the step sister

What the parents names on his cert ?

Grant

Even with all this information it still doesn't hook my Harry with the soldier Harry. I need a record that will give me soldier Harry's parents.

I've just finished looking at records in Ancestry. I found nothing I didn't have already.

They were both from the same place. both born about the same time. I think maybe I should send for the marriage certificate and hope there's a first name for father Haywood that I can read.

It seems I've put you to a lot of work and I'm sorry about that. I thought there might be an easier way to find out soldier Harry's parent(s)

Your day is just starting and it's about 12:30 am here. I'm off to bed soon.

I hope your day goes well, thanks again. I will continue reading the different threads and posts. It's very interesting.

Dorel: Welcome and I'm impressed that you are so computer literate, if I do my calculations from your mother being born around1899!!

Just a suggestion, but is there anyway you can get her fathers signature part of the marriage certificate on here? A digital camera image might be enough, as we have some highly skilled Pals on here who may be able to decipher the name for you.... Just a thought... Hope we can crack it for you!!

Not needed anymore.

Not needed anymore

Dorel.

I'm 99% sure we have the right man, he's the only Harry / Henry Haywood born in that time frame in Weymouth, We have the wifes name from CWGC, which gives use the marriage date and also Llewellyn as a middle name.

Lily Haywood m William Potter Nottingham / 7b / 745 / 3rd / 1901

Francis dies in Nottingham / 7b / 162 / 2nd / 1900 - aged 37

In 1891 Francis is a Ships Policeman in the RN - living at 53, Hereford Street, Portsea, Portsmouth

Francis Haywood m Lily Brown Portsea / 2b / 903 / 4th / 1888

In 1881 Francis is an Able Seaman in the RN - living at 43, Mount East St, Nottingham St Mary

Francis (Frank on census) parents were Alfred (b 1825, Mansfield) and Mary (nee Denby, b 1820, Mansfield) Haywood

Married Mansfield / 15 / 744 / 3rd / 1845

Here the family in 1911:

POTTER, William, Head, Married, 44, Working On The Local Board, born 1867 in Beeston Notts

POTTER, Lily, Wife, Married 22 years, 42, Shopkeeper, born 1869 in Nottingham Notts

POTTER, Amy, Daughter, Single, 17, Twisting String, born 1894 in Beeston Notts

POTTER, Reginald Charles, Son, Single, 6, School, born 1905 in Beeston Notts

POTTER, Thomas William, Son, 9, School, born 1902 in Beeston Notts

POTTER, Harold Leslie, Son, 2, born 1909 in Beeston Notts

HAYWOOD, Phoebe Francis, Daughter, 12, School, born 1899 in Lambley Notts

HAYWOOD, Beatrice, Daughter, Single, 21,Blouse Machinist, born 1890 in Portsmouth Hamps

HAYWOOD, Harry Llewellyn, Son, Single, 15, Helping In Nursery Gardens, born 1896 in Weymouth Dorset

It looks like Mr Potter was also married before.

Be nice if some one could turn up some information on Harrys Army service

Grant

Removed as it isn't needed anymore.

Removed as it wasn't needed anymore.

Dorel,

CWGC - Commonwealth War Grave Comission - http://www.cwgc.org/

The second part of your 1st post is from CWGC

Free BMD - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Can you PM me - click on my name to left of this message, select send message - as we're getting away from WW1 now, leave this thread to Harrys war service

Grant

Edited - to remove my cockup (unrelated to WW1 anyway :-()

Interesting to see his wife's address is given as Newmilns, Ayrshire, which is where my family is from (with branches now in BC too!). Have you searched for Maud M Webster on Scotland's People?

Newmilns was the centre of the Ayrshire lace industry. During the War production switched to mosquito nets.

With Nottingham being the centre of the English lace industry, I suspect there's a lace working connection here.

Cheers,

Mark

Dorel,

Here a link to the Find A Grave site - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;GRid=10894000

So you can see what the cemetry looks like, if we do find a photo of the headstone you could get it added to the site. If you click on the "leave flowers and a note" button you can leave a virtuall posey on there as well.

If you click on the guys name that "Created" it (bottom left) - "International Wargraves", he might have some more information about Harry, you in turn can give him details about Harry

enjoy

Grant

First, I want to thank you for letting me into this great forum.

I'm working on my ancestry and am stuck on finding what happened to an uncle of mine. I may have found him but the answer to the question I have is nowhere to be found. I need to know the name of his parent(s) to be sure it's the right one. Is there a way to find out his parents names? I only found out I had an uncle about 5 years ago when I first started on Ancestry. -

Name: Harry Haywood

Birth Place: Weymouth, Dorset

Residence: Worksop, Notts

Death Date: 7 Mar 1916

Enlistment Location: Hucknall Torkard, Notts

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Battalion: 10th Battalion.

Number: 28313

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theater of War: Aldershot

------------

HAYWOOD, HARRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/03/1916

Service No: 28313

Additional information: Husband of M. M Haywood, of 16, High St., Newmilns, Ayrshire. Native of Beeston, Nottingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 16A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

-------------

Thank you -

Can i add a little more information as i was brought up in Nottingham and Hucknall Torkard (just called Hucknall these days).

As you know he served with the 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, "C" company.

The local newspaper the Hucknall Dispatch dated 30 March 1916 shows that at one time he was living in Curtis Street in Hucknall (still there) but when enlisted in June 1915 was living at Dinnington, South Yorkshire.

He crossed to France on 16 February 1916.

Newspaper states that he was wounded on the 5th March and died two days later at Base Hospital.

I think there is a picture of him in the local paper but not too sure.

He died of wounds received on the 3rd March 1916 during the attack on the German lines near Hazebrouck. BRONNO.

not needed anymore

Can i add a little more information as i was brought up in Nottingham and Hucknall Torkard (just called Hucknall these days).

As you know he served with the 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, "C" company.

The local newspaper the Hucknall Dispatch dated 30 March 1916 shows that at one time he was living in Curtis Street in Hucknall (still there) but when enlisted in June 1915 was living at Dinnington, South Yorkshire.

He crossed to France on 16 February 1916.

Newspaper states that he was wounded on the 5th March and died two days later at Base Hospital.

I think there is a picture of him in the local paper but not too sure.

He died of wounds received on the 3rd March 1916 during the attack on the German lines near Hazebrouck. BRONNO.

Bronno--You fella's sure can be helpful.

I found the Hucknall Dispatch by Googling. I can't see anywhere where I can get information like you have. Can you give me a link? Do I maybe need to send them an email? How did you get it so quickly? It's after 2 am here and I must get to bed.

Bye for now.

Interesting to see his wife's address is given as Newmilns, Ayrshire, which is where my family is from (with branches now in BC too!). Have you searched for Maud M Webster on Scotland's People?

Newmilns was the centre of the Ayrshire lace industry. During the War production switched to mosquito nets.

With Nottingham being the centre of the English lace industry, I suspect there's a lace working connection here.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark--I haven't tried Scotland. I only have her name, not much to go on. I'm off to bed now.

Hi, late in on this, been out enjoying the no fly zone and up to Bletchley Park.

Sorry if my post seemed condescending, it was meant as a compliment!!!

Looks like William Haywood as the fathers name and Thomas Brown's occupation looks like engine driver to me...

Bronno--You fella's sure can be helpful.

I found the Hucknall Dispatch by Googling. I can't see anywhere where I can get information like you have. Can you give me a link? Do I maybe need to send them an email? How did you get it so quickly? It's after 2 am here and I must get to bed.

Bye for now.

I'm afraid its all on microfiche in the Hucknall Library which is located next to the Parish Church they have the Hucknall Dispatch on file. Try contacting them as they are quite helpful. I found his name on the War Memorial at Hucknall. BRONNO.

post-30693-1271846033.jpg

post-30693-1271846148.jpg

not needed,