Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas tin

glenn1

A lot of people have asked about repro Acid Tablets. They were quite a hard job to make. My poor old Mum managed to boil up several pounds of acid drops (not an easy job as they really do have to boil to become liquid enough to pour into greaseproof paper-lined moulds. We made seven of them for the non-smoking Chums (and four of the smokers sets too). The hardest part was the wrapper. The original NAM one appeared to be wrapped in a thin paper similar to newsprint with the text printed straight on top. I matched the paper but it was a real battle managing to get it to feed into the printer. I managed one sheet in every twenty. The rest either slipped so the text was not straight or the printer screwed it up. If I can dig out the template and any more of the paper I will make a few more. At least they provide a space filler for the gift most of us are very unlikely to ever own.

(puts hand in the air and makes "ooh ooh" noises)

I presume I'm one of the "lot", but if you ever do make some more count me in for one.

I can commiserate with the wrapper printing - I've done copies of the Mackain "Sketches of Tommy's Life" postcards, and copied the thin tissue-paper wrappers. Modern printers tend to chew up about 3/4's of the paper! :angry:

I can commiserate with the wrapper printing - I've done copies of the Mackain "Sketches of Tommy's Life" postcards, and copied the thin tissue-paper wrappers. Modern printers tend to chew up about 3/4's of the paper! :angry:

But when they go right, they look the part :) :

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsiJtnr

iJtnr.jpg

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq3P9J

3P9J.jpg

It does appear to me as a possessor of a "Mary Box" which was given to a forebear,in 1914,and who seems to have scoffed the contents,at the time,but kept the Card and photo and then sending/leaving the "Box" to/with his Dad that we are in danger of missing the original point of these gifts.

They were,at the time,offered in joy/ treat and were designed to be used as such.

Mouldy fags/chocolates, replicated sweet wrappings,etc?

I appreciate the historic accuracy of having an/ intact "Box/es"

But to my mind there is a deeper problem that must be addressed but cannot be answered.Why did the original recipients of the "Boxes" choose not to use or part use their contents, at the time,?The original contents now commanding a higher auction price,excluding rare cloth badges.

It appears easy, to me, to obtain original or pseudo contents via Auction sites or Forum Colleagues knowledge to "refill" my "Box" so that it is pristine.

But to my mind, contents used and enjoyed,at the time,speaks deep volumes and we should respect the evidence that is left. :D

George

George

That the empty tins convey contents enjoyed is a lovely idea, but hard to sustain when we consider that empty tins were sent as 'gifts' to widows and parents of casualties. Consequently, many tins without contents started out that way...

Cheers,

GT.

George.

Nothing but the greatest of respect for the items that are left - and to my mind, full or empty, they all have a story to tell.

For myself, & I know others in this thread, we are all fully aware of the history behind any of the objects we collect, & you can be assured, I doubt anyone misses the point. Again, for my part, & respectfully, I don't see any problems that need to be addressed - each to their own.

One thing I will pick you up on - It may well seem easy to you to obtain original contents & the like, but from where I'm sitting, after 30 plus years collecting - it ain't! What you see on these pages are some of the best, & sometimes only - examples in or out of a museum. I am pleased to share mine here, as others do, so we all learn a bit more. That's why we do it!

Regards,

Chris P.

Gt and Ghris,

You must understand that it is my Uncles "Box" I possess.

Would you release it in the open market?

That is for my Children to decide

In the meantime the "Box" remains safe but it may "attend" the "Cheshire Chums" meeting :lol:

Ge4orge

• 3 weeks later...

'Christmas items' is a subject dear to my heart, although I am no expert I am continually fascinated by the variety of items that were available for inclusion. Has anyone managed to compile a list of manufacturers/suppliers?? I have a bullet pencil that is monogrammed

with the (PM) cypher but the unusual thing is the case is made by the Colonial Ammunition Company in Auckland New Zealand. Also is there a site that helps to identify age of manufacture of 'pipes'

Comments anyone?

khaki

Khaki,

There was a battlefield recovered one, on display, at the Vimy Ridge Canadian visitor centre when I visited in 1999.

George

I saw one a few months ago that had a bullet through it, but I think that had been faked many years later.

John

Interesting that considering the huge numbers issued that finding them as relics is rare, maybe that would suggest that most were sent 'home' as treasured keepsakes. Thanks for the reponses.

khaki

• 7 years later...

Hi! 

I recently received one of the 1914 Christmas tins from my great uncle. I want to give it a clean as its gotten a bit dull and has some patches that need a little clean. But I don't want to damage the tin itself, would you recommend against me lightly cleaning it with brasso? Is there something any of you could suggest that I use that will clean it and protect it if not Brasso. 

I wanted to use this tin as a keepsake holder for some old family trinkets, as I quite like it, but after some reading I'm not sure if it's better kept as a display item?

Please let me know! Thanks

Personally I would leave it alone , my great uncle's tin ( non-brass ) looks as if it's never been cleaned but I think if I did clean it I would be removing part

of it's history .

Brasso is an abrasive, so will ultimately polish out the detail. I've found soaking in vinegar will remove light oxidation from copper-based alloys, but I don't think I'd try it on a Mary tin without testing on (say) cartridge cases with similar discolouration first.

Wash with soap and water gently rubbing with a soft toothbrush then leave alone UNLESS it has verdigris then a little white vinegar on a cotton bud gently rubbed over the offending patch will arrest further corrosion.

Happy Xmas

Mark 

Thank you guys! I'll let you know how it goes with those suggestions! I wouldn't want to see it damaged so thank you for your responses! 

Merry Christmas to you too! 

• 4 years later...

Old thread but I've recently obtained a copy of Peter Doyle's book on the subject. Can it be confirmed the supporting card to take the bullet pencil only come into use in 1915 gifts  and that if packed as a replacement issue in 1914 for the tinder lighter it would have to be in the delivery box on top of the tin, just wrapped in paper? Or were the only bullet pencils issued at that time to the RN and delivered separately?  I wonder if any packaging was used to protect the gift pipes? Regards, Paul.

• 9 months later...

The attached photograph is of an unsmoked pipe from my collection, I assumed that it was one that had been issued with the Princess Mary tin but I had no actual proof, The engraving is for a Cpl H.S.E of the 5th Seaforth's wounded at Festubert on the 15th June 1915 and subsequently sent to the Military Hospital At Wharncliffe .This item has been in my collection for a number of years with the above assumption.

Today while trawling the internet I found a site for the Military hospital with a list of just over 500 soldiers names who were treated for their injuries. 500 must be a small proportion of the men treated!

I found a listing for a H. Ellwood with no rank or unit information but attached to this entry was a newspaper cutting regarding a fatal car accident in 1916, further reading mentioned  a Cpl Harold Ellwood a wounded soldier from the Wharncliffe hospital who had been a patient from June the previous year.

I think I may have found my man! 

Princess Mary tin pipe.jpg