Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George James Lambourne

Phil Evans

Post-discharge cases don't necessarily take that much longer. Harry Jones was put forward to CWGC in late-November last year, and appeared on the web listing on 30 March this year.

I agree, I think that it depends more on making a convincing case. Try to cut off all avenues to deny the man an approval. As said above the MoD (Army) are making some cracking decisions very quickly and importantly they are (quite rightly) giving the man the benefit of any doubt. As for the Naval Historical Branch enough has been said in the past about that lot!

Wallace Truscott was a post discharge case, although the nature of his death was different from George Lambourne's and could possibly be seen as more favourable for a quick decision.

Grant,

I hadn't thought of the two being related. It was hard enough trying to trace him back. I think I've got it right. He was registered at birth as James George. I believe his father died prior to the family moving to the Lewisham area.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Normal service has been resumed with Lewisham. Lady was away on hols

Chris

Phil uncross them please

He is at Hither Green Cemetery Plot D, grave number 945. I have informed Terry Denham. PM me with your e mail if you want me to forward you a copy.

Neil

will ask about yours tomorrow

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I didn't get notification of your post.

I will be in touch.

Phil

• 7 months later...

Some good news at last.

I received notification from CWGC today that the MoD have approved his commemoration.

Now just the long wait for the Regional Supervisor etc.

From Chris's information and my delving around, I believe that he lies in an unmarked grave. T. Mellowship, who's headstone is in the attached picture, lies in grave D947. This is on the boundary of the original cemetery. There are several other CWGC headstones along the old boundary line, standing in isolation.

Phil

post-20576-091014100 1294778744.jpg

Good news Phil

• 2 months later...

An extract from an email received from the CWGC today:

"You will be pleased to hear that I have heard back from our area office and they have visited the and located the unmarked grave in Plot D Grave 945 and are now seeking permission from the Local Authority to erect a Commission war pattern headstone. This may take up to two years for the headstone to be engraved and manufactured and erected.

I have also added his name to the casualty database and his name will appear on the CWGC website within the next couple of days."

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

Phil

• 2 years later...

As two and a half years have passed since my last contact with the CWGC on this man, I thought I would contact them for an update. Below is an extract from their response:

"Area have confirmed that they are currently awaiting permission from the Local Authority to mark Plot D, Grave 945 in Lewisham (Hither Green) Cemetery with a Commission headstone for Corporal G J Lambourne."

I have asked to be put in contact with the Area Supervisor to see who is dragging their heels. Is anyone else experiencing similar?

Phil

• 5 months later...

Almost four years to the day since I started and having had to take up the case with Lewisham Council at the CWGC's request, I finally heard today that Lewisham have now granted permission for a marker to be placed on George's grave.

Patience is a virtue, I'm told.

Phil

Well done Phil,

Reward for your perseverance and recognition for George Lambourne, I'll look out for you in the local press. :thumbsup:

Stuart

• 1 year later...

It has been a long haul, but finally, the CWGC has erected the headstone in the last week or two.

post-20576-0-70662700-1427031235_thumb.j

Another photo to show him alongside Tom Mellowship.

I also noticed, walking around this morning, that a couple of CWGC headstones that were wearing badly, have also been replaced.

post-20576-0-58644400-1427031531_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

I discovered part of this story while researching names on the Brownhill Road Baptist Church Memorial Tablet last year. I visited the grave, after a lengthy search - it would have been much easier had I seen these photos first! 

After next week's commemoration of the centenary of the unveiling of the Memorial Tablet we intend to move our wreath to George's grave, as the local representative of all 20 men commemorated there. 

Andrew Grimwade

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Andrew,

It would have been even quicker if you had found me! I never got notification of your post, which is a shame, as I could have visited George's grave after you had laid the wreath.

I am very local and my youngest daughter was in the Cubs and Scouts at Brownhill Road. If you want any info I may have on George, feel free to get in touch.

Phil