Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hartington War Memorial

Janet Bray

Hi

I am researching into 3 soldiers who were born in Hartington, Derbyshire, and commemorated on the Hartington War Memorial. At the moment I am particularly interested in finding out which conflicts they were involved in and how/where they may have died. Also any information on their battalions, companies, regiments, etc. They are:

• Pte William Redfern, No. 201044/3553 1st/4th bn  Lincs Regiment, Joined (I think) 22/9/15, died 20/4/16 - buried Arras
  • Pte Frank Broomhead, Australian Machine Gun Corps (why I do not know), joined 13/1/16, died 1/2/17, buried Bancourt British Cemetry - I have Frank's Service record from NAA
  • Lieut. Joseph Frederick Wardle, 334th Road Construction Coy, Royal Engineers, joined 3/6/18, died 14/2/19 - buried All Saints, Rangemore, Staffordshire
I have tried to look at regimental histories, etc. but none so far, have been too specific. I'm a bit of a novice on researching into military history, so any pointers/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Janet

Hi Janet

Here is Frank broomhead AIF records looks like he was living Australia The AIF Project

i will see if i can find anything else.

i'm pretty new on here aswell

Dean

Hi Janet

Here is Frank broomhead AIF records looks like he was living Australia The AIF Project

i will see if i can find anything else.

i'm pretty new on here aswell

Dean

Thanks Dean

Some of the details are slightly different from Frank's Service record, but it is the same man.

Janet

Hi Janet,

I have a photograph and some biographical information for Frank Broomhead which I can let you have. He was featured in the Ashbourne News in 1917. I am at work at the moment but I will scan the article and post it on here for you when I get home.

Hope this helps

Richard

Janet

Lt Wardle landed in France and has a Medal Index Card. I found no War Diary for the unit you have quoted,but then it may have been part of a larger RE group. Soldiers Died in the Great War shows him as Died as opposed to Died of wounds or Killed,so he may have died of illness (there was a Flu pandemic wreaking havoc at the time). There are three Officer Service Files for Wardle J at Kew (later in the War they didn't show all initials for some reason) so he might be one of those. They are W0339/95170 ; 99250 and 107506.

Corporal Redfern landed in France on 22.9.1915,as opposed to joining ! 1/4 Lincolns were part of 138 Brigade of 46 Division,and he joined them as a replacement on the date shown as they were already there since March 1915. He is shown as Killed in Action in SDGW. His Battalion's War Diary is at Kew under WO95/2691,and this will show where that unit was on the day of his death, there was no fixed battle under way so he may have died in the day-to-day trench activities such as shelling/sniping/raiding. He is remembered on the Arras Memorial as he has no known grave.

Sotonmate

Haven't found anything on the Olivers yet, but Geoff's Search Engine brings up these which don't appear on the Hartington Roll of Honour. Are they missed?

Name: BARKER

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/05/1916

Service No: 29648

Additional information: Son of Sampson and Hannah Barker, of Hulme End, Hartington, Buxton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. F. 18.

Cemetery: LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE

Name: BRINDLEY, JOSEPH WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 05/09/1918

Service No: CH/19896

Awards: D C M

Additional information: Son of Joseph David and Miriam Brindley, of Corner House, Biggin, Hartington, Buxton, Derby.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. A. 1.

Cemetery: QUEANT ROAD CEMETERY, BUISSY

Name: BUXTON, WILFRED

Initials: W

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1917

Service No: 240738

Additional information: Son of Harold and Emma Buxton, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton, Derbyshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 87 to 89.

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Name: DUNN, FRANCIS JAMES

Initials: F J

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/07/1916

Service No: 31165

Additional information: Son of Francis and Mary Jane Dunn, of Bigein Grange, Hartington, Buxton, Derbyshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: GRAY

Initials: F

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Date of Death: 20/12/1918

Service No: 44819

Additional information: Son of William and Jane Gray, of The Raikes, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: C.E. 1998.

Cemetery: NETLEY MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: PERCIVAL, GEORGE

Initials: G

Unit Text: 2nd/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 241746

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Percival, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 7.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: WAGSTAFF

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/05/1917

Service No: 8/43126

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Wagstaff, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVIII. M. 4A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Hi Janet,

I have a photograph and some biographical information for Frank Broomhead which I can let you have. He was featured in the Ashbourne News in 1917. I am at work at the moment but I will scan the article and post it on here for you when I get home.

Hope this helps

Richard

That would be fabulous Richard. I would love that information. A member of our history project here in Hartington is one of Frank's relatives and his mother gave away/destroyed a lot of family artifacts.

Regards

Janet

Janet

Lt Wardle landed in France and has a Medal Index Card. I found no War Diary for the unit you have quoted,but then it may have been part of a larger RE group. Soldiers Died in the Great War shows him as Died as opposed to Died of wounds or Killed,so he may have died of illness (there was a Flu pandemic wreaking havoc at the time). There are three Officer Service Files for Wardle J at Kew (later in the War they didn't show all initials for some reason) so he might be one of those. They are W0339/95170 ; 99250 and 107506.

Corporal Redfern landed in France on 22.9.1915,as opposed to joining ! 1/4 Lincolns were part of 138 Brigade of 46 Division,and he joined them as a replacement on the date shown as they were already there since March 1915. He is shown as Killed in Action in SDGW. His Battalion's War Diary is at Kew under WO95/2691,and this will show where that unit was on the day of his death, there was no fixed battle under way so he may have died in the day-to-day trench activities such as shelling/sniping/raiding. He is remembered on the Arras Memorial as he has no known grave.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the information Sotonmate, I'll follow up on this. Interestingly, I found one reference to William Redfern as a Corporal (can't remember where now!), but on the Arras Memorial (sorry made an assumption he was buried) he is listed as a Private & on the Hartington War Memorial/CWGC/Roll of Honour sites the same - who is right?

Regards

Janet

Haven't found anything on the Olivers yet, but Geoff's Search Engine brings up these which don't appear on the Hartington Roll of Honour. Are they missed?

Name: BARKER

Initials: R

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/05/1916

Service No: 29648

Additional information: Son of Sampson and Hannah Barker, of Hulme End, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. F. 18.

Cemetery: LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE

Name: BRINDLEY, JOSEPH WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 05/09/1918

Service No: CH/19896

Awards: D C M

Additional information: Son of Joseph David and Miriam Brindley, of Corner House, Biggin, Hartington, Buxton, Derby.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. A. 1.

Cemetery: QUEANT ROAD CEMETERY, BUISSY

Name: BUXTON, WILFRED

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1917

Service No: 240738

Additional information: Son of Harold and Emma Buxton, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton, Derbyshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 87 to 89.

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Name: DUNN, FRANCIS JAMES

Initials: F J

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/07/1916

Service No: 31165

Additional information: Son of Francis and Mary Jane Dunn, of Bigein Grange, Hartington, Buxton, Derbyshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: GRAY

Initials: F

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Date of Death: 20/12/1918

Service No: 44819

Additional information: Son of William and Jane Gray, of The Raikes, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: C.E. 1998.

Cemetery: NETLEY MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: PERCIVAL, GEORGE

Initials: G

Unit Text: 2nd/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 241746

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Percival, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 7.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: WAGSTAFF

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/05/1917

Service No: 8/43126

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Wagstaff, of Biggin, Hartington, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVIII. M. 4A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the information. Biggin is a separate village to Hartington so maybe those listed above are commemorated in the church there as they have no war memorial. I will check next time I'm there. Hulme End similarly is also another village, in Staffordshire this time. However, although The Raikes is in Staffs technically (on the other side of the River Dove), it is generally accepted as Hartington, so I don't know why F Gray is not on our memorial - I'll look into this. My friend, who is looking into the Olivers (father and two sons), is having problems finding information about them. I did find out that they enlisted in Canadian Regiments (from GWF).

The search continues.

Regards

Janet

Janet

Medal Card says Private (on first landing in France) and later Lance Corporal. SDGW says Private.

Sotonmate

And I also found some info on Joseph Frederick Wardle from the Ashbourne News of 7th March 1919. The file was too big for the forum, so I had to host it on tinypic, so just click on the link below to view the file.

http://tinypic.com/r/2u7m2bk/5

Hope this is of some use to you in your research. :)

Richard

This may be of interest to anyone researching Father and son(s) killed on the same day...............

Father

Name: OLIVER, SIDNEY

Initials: S

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1915

Service No: 23428

Additional information: Son of James and Dora Oliver, Hartington, Buxton, England; husband of Sophia E. Oliver, of Trail, British Columbia.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 18 - 28 - 30.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

One son

Name: OLIVER, WILLIAM EVELYN

Initials: W E

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1915

Service No: 23429

Additional information: Son of Sidney and Sophia Oliver, of Trail, British Columbia.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 18 - 28 - 30.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I'd guess that the other son survived, also in 7th Battn and with a similar Service Number (23430?)

Thank you so much, Dean, Richard, Sotonmate and Kevin for all your hard work finding out this information for me, especially the newspaper articles which fill in the gaps I have been searching for. 

Kindest regards

Janet  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest joboam@btinternet.com
Hi

I am researching into 3 soldiers who were born in Hartington, Derbyshire, and commemorated on the Hartington War Memorial. At the moment I am particularly interested in finding out which conflicts they were involved in and how/where they may have died. Also any information on their battalions, companies, regiments, etc. They are:

• Pte William Redfern, No. 201044/3553 1st/4th bn Lincs Regiment, Joined (I think) 22/9/15, died 20/4/16 - buried Arras
  • Pte Frank Broomhead, Australian Machine Gun Corps (why I do not know), joined 13/1/16, died 1/2/17, buried Bancourt British Cemetry - I have Frank's Service record from NAA
  • Lieut. Joseph Frederick Wardle, 334th Road Construction Coy, Royal Engineers, joined 3/6/18, died 14/2/19 - buried All Saints, Rangemore, Staffordshire
I have tried to look at regimental histories, etc. but none so far, have been too specific. I'm a bit of a novice on researching into military history, so any pointers/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Janet

Hi Janet

My Grandmother was Frank Broomheads sisiter and although I don't have any army info for you I can shed a bit of light on his life.

He was born the 11th child of Henry Broomhead and Fanny Allen( of Vincent House),Henry his father died just before he was born( I don't have the dates but the death was registered in the Dec quater and Franks birth in the following March quater).His mother then had another child when he was 18 months old and married George Shirley when he was 2 and had another child before Frank was 3. She then had 2 more children by the time Frank was 5. My Mum and her sisters (Franks sisters children) beleive they lived at Spink Farm and later moved into Hartington (I think Ivy cottage)

They don't know why Frank went to Austrlia, they did have a picture of him hanging on the wall in the living room for years and although they are still at the same house they don't know where it has gone.

.I don't have a date but Mum says that George Shirley and Fanny died 3 days apart .

Hope this is of interest.

Jo

• 1 month later...
Guest rubendog
Hi

• Pte William Redfern, No. 201044/3553 1st/4th bn  Lincs Regiment, Joined (I think) 22/9/15, died 20/4/16 - buried Arras

Thanks

Janet

Hello Janet,

I am a collector in Australia, and by chance found your quest for details on LT.J.F.Frederick on the internet. I have his Great War medal pair and a number of gold and silver fobs (football) belonging to him. I am happy to photograph these in detail for you if interested. As I am new to the forum, i am unsure as to what protocol to follow. regards Ruben

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Janet

Very interested in your search for Lieutenant Joseph Wardle RE. I was very surprised to see that the address given for his widow was Berry Head Road, Brixham. At the moment I am working with another researcher on compiling a list of all those from Brixham who lost their lives in WW1. Clearly your man was not a Brixhamite (and neither it appears was his widow) but I would be most grateful for any information you might pick up regarding the Brixham link. I am not sure if the house still exists but if it does I will be very pleased to send a scan of same to you (subject to the present owners giving me permission to photo same!).

Kind regards

Peter

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jo, for the information. Sorry for the delay in response. It's been a while since I logged on. A friend who lives near Hartington is a relative of Frank's (Named 'Shirley' as it happens) He also remembers the photo that you mention. We are collating all the informaton we have collected to date about those named on the War Memorial and putting it on permanent display at the British Legion Club. This will have it's "Grand Opening" just before Remembrance Sunday. I'll pass on your information to Brian.

Thanks gain

Janet

QUOTE (JanetB @ Mar 22 2010, 03:45 PM) Hi

• Pte William Redfern, No. 201044/3553 1st/4th bn Lincs Regiment, Joined (I think) 22/9/15, died 20/4/16 - buried Arras

Thanks

Janet

Hi Janet

My Grandmother was Frank Broomheads sisiter and although I don't have any army info for you I can shed a bit of light on his life.

He was born the 11th child of Henry Broomhead and Fanny Allen( of Vincent House),Henry his father died just before he was born( I don't have the dates but the death was registered in the Dec quater and Franks birth in the following March quater).His mother then had another child when he was 18 months old and married George Shirley when he was 2 and had another child before Frank was 3. She then had 2 more children by the time Frank was 5. My Mum and her sisters (Franks sisters children) beleive they lived at Spink Farm and later moved into Hartington (I think Ivy cottage)

They don't know why Frank went to Austrlia, they did have a picture of him hanging on the wall in the living room for years and although they are still at the same house they don't know where it has gone.

.I don't have a date but Mum says that George Shirley and Fanny died 3 days apart .

Hope this is of interest.

Jo

Hi Ruben

Hope I haven't missed the boat on your information. I'd love copies of the medals etc. You can e-mail me directly (there is a way of doing this on the forum)

Regards

Janet

QUOTE (JanetB @ Mar 23 2010, 12:45 AM) Hi

Thanks

Janet

Hello Janet,

I am a collector in Australia, and by chance found your quest for details on LT.J.F.Frederick on the internet. I have his Great War medal pair and a number of gold and silver fobs (football) belonging to him. I am happy to photograph these in detail for you if interested. As I am new to the forum, i am unsure as to what protocol to follow. regards Ruben

Hi Peter

I'm not sure of the connection with Brixham myself but am pulling together all the information I have (mostly gained from the good people on GWF!), so will let you know if I have any further details.

Regards

Hi Janet

Very interested in your search for Lieutenant Joseph Wardle RE. I was very surprised to see that the address given for his widow was Berry Head Road, Brixham. At the moment I am working with another researcher on compiling a list of all those from Brixham who lost their lives in WW1. Clearly your man was not a Brixhamite (and neither it appears was his widow) but I would be most grateful for any information you might pick up regarding the Brixham link. I am not sure if the house still exists but if it does I will be very pleased to send a scan of same to you (subject to the present owners giving me permission to photo same!).

Kind regards

Peter

• 3 years later...

Hello

My great-great uncle was Frank Broomhead I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the newspaper report from Ashbourne News from 2 March 1917 and a copy of his portrait. I have discovered his details on the Australian Army website and a the war diary from 16th Machine Gin Corp from his death on 1 February 1917.

Any help will appreciated

Many Thanks

Stuart Carrington

Hello

My great-great uncle was Frank Broomhead I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the newspaper report from Ashbourne News from 2 March 1917 and a copy of his portrait. I have discovered his details on the Australian Army website and a the war diary from 16th Machine Gin Corp from his death on 1 February 1917.

Any help will appreciated

Many Thanks

Stuart Carrington

Stuart - this topic was last updated three years ago - you might be better off sending a PM to the Pal concerned.

Hi Stuart,

I would be very happy to give you a copy of Frank Broomhead's photo and report from the Ashbourne News. Would you be able to PM your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Kind regards

Richard