Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts Absent Voters

Woody

I have a complete set of copies of the Nottinghamshire Absent Voters Lists from 1918.

I am happy to do look ups for individuals by area or address. Also for anyone researching

areas of Notts, I am happy to provide scans or copies.

There are many Notts and Derbys men on the lists.

Woody

Woody

When you have a list of every 9th and 1st Bn man with addresses etc, I will get back to you :D:lol:

Are the lists widely available or were you just lucky?

Steve

Woody

When you have a list of every 9th and 1st Bn man with addresses etc, I will get back to you :D:lol:

Are the lists widely available or were you just lucky?

Steve

Steve - copied them from the Notts CC archives - at great expense! - There are 1261 sheets of A4 in total...

If enough people are interested, I will transcribe all the N & D men and put them in a spreadsheet - good project!

Perhaps other N&D forum members might post their interest?

My main interest is the 7th Battalion as my great granddad was Pte 2171 Samuel Wood.

Cheers

Gary

Gary

Must have kept you busy for a while with that amount of sheets.

Actually I had a man today who is not on the N&D medal rolls but his attestation has 9th Bn. He enlisted in Mansfield

Daniel White who was 22 on 24/10/1914 when he enlisted. I would be obliged if you could check for him.

He is a mystery!

Steve

Steve

Have searched throught the Absent Voters Lists for Mansfield and no joy - sorry.

1911 Census also drew a blank for Mansfield.

Did find on the first few pages

John Robt Metheringham 18621 - Chapel Lane Fishpool (now Ravenshead) 9th N&D

also at the same address Benjamin 251901 Dvr 7th Res Brid Bordon BFA TF

and William 52461 Gnr 13th Hv Batt GA Salonica

Edwin Herrod 306371 45 Carnarvon Rd Huthwaite 9th N&D

Albert Stendall 2 North Street 235183 B Coy 9th N&D

Clarence Girling 8 Corporation Street Mansfield 43821 Sgt 9th N&D

Sorry couldn't be of further help re Daniel White

Cheers

Gary

Is Leonard Bocking there! :lol::ph34r:

Sorry but I cannot see him at all, re-read the lists 3 times. There are a couple of Lucans....

If you want the Woodhouse lists - happy to copy and send to you.

Cheers

Gary

:lol: I'm sure Anthony Bagshaw would be interested.

On a serious note though, a lot of 'my' Tibshelf men will probably be on the list as many were living in Huthwaite and Teversal. I'll have to dig some names out some time if you'd be willing.

:lol: I'm sure Anthony Bagshaw would be interested.

On a serious note though, a lot of 'my' Tibshelf men will probably be on the list as many were living in Huthwaite and Teversal. I'll have to dig some names out some time if you'd be willing.

No problem - let me have the names - happy to help

Gary

I think Daniel White could be another Leonard Bocking! :D. He has an enlistment page and then seems to vanish.

Gary -

Many thanks for looking and the finding the other men.

John Robert Metheringham was Killed in Action on 10 October 1918 and is commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois memorial

Steve

I am hoping to get all the Derbyshire Lists next week also - might take some doing as the archive seems a little reluctant to let me take copies....

I have photos of these men if anyone needs copies

Cheers

Woody

13908 25.10.15 George Brackner 15, Clinton Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 9th Battalion

Son of George Brackner, of 9, Broughton St., Beeston, Nottingham, and the late Sarah Ann Brackner.

13850 1.7.16 Samuel Burdett 4, Broughton Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 11th Battalion

Brother of Mr. W. Burdett, of 4, Broughton St., Beeston, Notts.

13860 11.3.15 Wilfred Frank Booth 59, Wollaton Road Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st Battalion

13907 27.5.18 William Brackner 15, Clinton Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st Battalion

Son of George Brackner, of 9, Broughton St., Beeston, Notts., and the late Sarah Ann Brackner.

13859 5.7.16 Harold Hazzledine 37, Church Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st Battalion

Son of John William and Sarah Ann Hazzledine, of 37, Church St., Beeston, Notts.

13883 9.8.15 William D. Humphreys 4, Humber Road Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 9th Battalion

13851 28.3.18 John Lee 21, Derby Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 15th Battalion CSM

Son of Emily Cholerton.

13903 9.8.15 James Martin 33, Trent Road Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 9th Battalion

Son of Mathew and Sarah Martin, of 30, Chapel St., Beeston, Notts.

13873 12.3.15 Cyril Arthur Turton 35, Bramcote Road Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st Battalion

13905 20.8.17 A. E. Tebbutt 9, Derby Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 9th Battalion

Son of William Tebbutt, of 9, Derby St., Beeston, Notts.

13934 9.8.15 A. E. Turton 10, Clinton Street Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 9th Battalion

Son of Herbert Turton, of 23, Middleton St., Beeston, Nottingham.

14069 8.10.18 Thomas Glover Humber Road Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

77416 Tank Corps 3rd Battalion

Slightly off topic - but is there a full list of Notts and Derbys Unit Histories - including recent works available please?

I am looking to increase my library

Thanks

Woody

I must admit to not knowing who has wriiten all of the histories.

I have copies of -

1st/2nd Bn which I got from N&M press.

9th Bn

10th Bn by Lt Hoyte.

12th Bn - Cliff Housley

15th Bn David Langley

A Lack of Offensive Spirit by Alan Macdonald has 46th Div, so the Notts and Derby Brigade.

There must be more (and I may have some of them!)

I would appreciate copies of 9th Bn and 1st Bn men if that would be OK.

http://www.ypressalient.co.uk/

The website has my email address.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Woody

Grateful if you could check your lists for Frank R Pickworth

His service number was 200564 and was serving in C Bn / 3rd Bn Tank Corps

He was awarded the MM in 1917 and his home is shown as Scarrington to the east of Nottingham

Stephen

Hi Woody

Grateful if you could check your lists for Frank R Pickworth

His service number was 200564 and was serving in C Bn / 3rd Bn Tank Corps

He was awarded the MM in 1917 and his home is shown as Scarrington to the east of Nottingham

Stephen

Hi - he is shown as Frank Pickworth - 200564 Gnr Res Unit Tank C

Scarrington - no individual address given one of only 7 absent voters in Scarrington

Cheers

Woody

I must admit to not knowing who has wriiten all of the histories.

I have copies of -

1st/2nd Bn which I got from N&M press.

9th Bn

10th Bn by Lt Hoyte.

12th Bn - Cliff Housley

15th Bn David Langley

Add:

11th battalion 'Men from the Greenwood' - free here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...od%20Foresters/

2/8th Territorial Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters in the Great War, Lieut.-Colonel W.C. Oates, D.S.O.

6th battalion 'Men of the High Peak' Capt Jamieson Ed Cliff Housley.

2/5th battalion - 'Green Triangle. Being the History of the 2/5th Battalion The Sherwood Foresers (Notts & Derby Regiment) in the Great European War, 1914-1918.' W.G.Hall

10th Battalion Cliff Housley

7th battalion - '“The Robin Hoods” 1/7th, 2/7th, & 3/7th Battns, Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918', Written by officers of the Battalions. With a Foreword by Gen. Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien.

The 5th and 16th battalions also have books but I'll be darned if I can recall the authors!

(Oh, and the un-named author of the 9th battalion book above is wotsisname. Something Morse I think. :D )

I am hoping to get all the Derbyshire Lists next week also -

??? I was told that none existed by the archives in Matlock.

If this is true Woody, I'm going to love you forever.

Could you look for these for me? The last one I apologise in advance as I have only very sketchy info

Ernest Eric Walker, 23041 8th or 9th Sherwood Foresters. Born 1889 and husband of Emily JAne Walker of Leyton Avenue, Skegby.

James Robert Kettle, 126819 Royal Engineers, husband of Emily Kettle of Brownlow Avenue, Mansfield.

George Hadfield 31662 16th Btn Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Huthwaite.

Very grateful

Carol

Could you look for these for me? The last one I apologise in advance as I have only very sketchy info

Ernest Eric Walker, 23041 8th or 9th Sherwood Foresters. Born 1889 and husband of Emily JAne Walker of Leyton Avenue, Skegby.

Very grateful

Carol

He was in the 9th BN

http://www.ypressalient.co.uk/9th%20Battal...her%20ranks.htm

Steve

??? I was told that none existed by the archives in Matlock.

If this is true Woody, I'm going to love you forever.

I was told the other day that one existed. I will check with the chap who mentioned it. Apparently Daniel White was on it :rolleyes:Latest - It is held at Derby Record office

Latest - It is held at Derby Record office

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss. :D

The chap lives in Scotland and was told it would cost £12.50 to search!.

I have phoned them - not going to be easy they don't allow any cameras !

Also from an earlier email they sent me

"I am afraid that due to the binding on electoral registers, we are unable to photocopy them as this may cause damage to the volumes. It may be possible for us to scan from the volumes but this would be to be assessed by staff on duty in the search room, who will be happy to check the suitability for you" :huh:

Dear Woody

This is a great offer. As there may be a number could I just ask if that you spot any member of the 14th or 20th Hussars (or 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment) I would love to hear of them. Sometimes the men have no medals and so i don't know they served.

Thanks

Patrick