Free downloads from TNA Ă—
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Boiling Point" Punch Cartoon

ciudadmarron

If you look very carefully beneath the Austrian Emperor's left leg, you can see the round edge of the pot lid curving back towards where Willie's (or someone's) rump must be.

And what you do not see, are Ferdinand's feet!

Because he is not standing on the pot lid, but is behind.

Edit: Having seen that this post is now on page two, I will add the cartoon again so as to make the job a liitle easier

TheBoilingpointcartoon-1.jpg

I think perhaps he is standing on the rear of the lid whoever he is. He is not greatly different in scale to the others, so if he was stood behind we would not be able to see him. Perhaps he is on a ladder? There is a Punch web site, perhaps they would know. Makes for a bit of 'light' debate anyway. Regards the five powers, thats what it states on page 5 here http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjec...70_w06_qp_2.pdf

but there might be other information available. I'm no expert on Great War personalities illustrated in cartoon form so will stand back now. Interesting cartoon. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any further info. turns up. Cheers, Paul.

There is a Punch web site, perhaps they would know... ... Regards the five powers, thats what it states on page 5 here http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjec...70_w06_qp_2.pdf

In this particular instance I am not sure that I place much store in what this Cambridge site says on the matter

However, contacting Punch sounds like a good idea for anyone wishing to take this further

regards

Michael

There is a Punch web site, perhaps they would know... ... Regards the five powers, thats what it states on page 5 here http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjec...70_w06_qp_2.pdf

In this particular instance I am not sure that I place much store in what this Cambridge site says on the matter

However, contacting Punch sounds like a good idea for anyone wishing to take this further

regards

Michael

Since Punch went out of business some years ago this might be difficult

The artist and style is that of 'Craven Hill' (Mr Raven-Hill) from Punch. You can just see the end 'Hill' of his signature bottom right of the pot. His signature always looks like it begins with a 'C' but its just a flourish of the 'R'

Rgds Paul

I go for:

Bottom left General Ivanoff of Russia who had an impressive beard along those lines.

Top left UK Prime Minister Asquith caricatured as John Bull.

Top right Raymond Poincaré of France.

Bottom Right Franz Joseph I of Austria-Hungary.

Centre Helmuth von Moltke the Younger representing Germany.

I doubt that a cartoon of this nature would have appeared in Punch without a representation of France.

Top left UK Prime Minister Asquith caricatured as John Bull.

Remembering the pictures of LLoyd George and Churchill in their top hats, maybe it was an exageration of Asquith's normal dress, but it fits well with the caricature of John Bull. Just as General Ivanoff could easily be morphed into the caricature Russian bear.