Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Slip on shoulder titles

john gregory

post-20062-1267721678.jpg

I thought I would start a new thread on the men wearing them, here is a Notts and Derby one.

post-20062-1267721967.jpg

Another Notts and Derby, it's not very clear on the scan but there is a T 8 on as well.

Hi John, here is one from my collection with the single 'T', i will sort a few pictures out of some being worn. BRONNO.

post-30693-1267732578.jpg

I don't know anything about these slip on titles, but I'm suspicious about sets of DLI titles that appear on Ebay fairly regularily.

They always seem to new and perfect considering their age.

Mick

I believe that most of these, despite looking pristine, are actually genuine = the result of some surplus stockpile somewhere!

Peter

Peter,

Do you have a photograph of such a shoulder title ?

Mick

Mick,

I believe most of the mint stock came from Hobson's when they closed their factory in Tooley Street and relocated to Thundersley. There were large quantities of some Regimental titles. A lot of their sample stock also came onto the market at that time, still tied in bundles. Lots of badge dealers had them at the time. I have a few of these cards with samples still attached.

The originals are quite distinctive in terms of the materials used and modern made copies should be easy to spot. Not least the quality of the thread used for the embroidery. Fortunately there are plenty of low priced originals available to compare. The scarcer unit titles, some of which I'm pleased to say have been posted by contributors here, are changing hands for quite high prices now.

Could you post an image of the examples you are concerned about Mick. I'm sure we have enough experience between us to decide if they are right or not.

Kind regards

Tocemma

I don't have any, I often wish I knew what to look for as I'd like to put together a DLI specific display. I see the slip on ones from time to time, but as I have previously said, I thought they were too good to be true !

Mick

Mick

In the 80s a very large stock of original, unissued slip-ons turned up. DLI was prominent, as also were Suffolk, Border, Hants, RGA, RE, and to a lesser extent RFA, RAMC, RF, TC and KOYLI. The Hants (at one time the commonest) and TCs seem to have disappeared, which seemed impossible at the time but it shows how the market absorbs everything eventually. Anyway, the DLI titles are all fine, in fact most slip-ons are, though TC have been repro'd. As far as I can tell, so far the copies are the of woven wool ones, and not the printed or woven gaberdine-type material.

Regards,

W.

Add: Just noticed that I've repeated some of the info in TE's post - the danger of doing this after coming in at night....

The sad thing about the Hobson's stock cards was that the more esoteric the items the less people wanted them. I remember sorting through dozens of cards with small samples of Hussar and Lancer cap cords and tunic loops. They were also dozens of cards with cavalry waistbelt sash samples on. All small pieces of material, but meticulously identified and some with prices too. Lots of pre-amalgamation stuff. Very sad really, I bet an awful lot of it ended up in a skip or on a bonfire somewhere.

Tocemma

post-7376-1267769405.jpg

One of two patterns of slip-on worn by the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Peter/Graham,

Thanks for the images they are the type that I've seen.

Are the letters on the right hand side Suffolk one a transfer or painted on ?

Mick

Herewith a few of the less common ones on my collection (pairs omitted for space). I particularly like - albeit somewhat shagged - the cut down Bedford's one.

Slipongroup-Copy.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

• 2 years later...

Please can some one give me chapter and verse of from when until when these slip-ons were issued?

Also, I have searched in vain for a thread on coloured plain slip-ons used to denote function in the unit: runner, orderly etc.

Any clues please?

Please can some one give me chapter and verse of from when until when these slip-ons were issued?

Also, I have searched in vain for a thread on coloured plain slip-ons used to denote function in the unit: runner, orderly etc.

Any clues please?

Hi GRUMPY

When the battle dress was introduced in March 1938, metal shoulder title were not intended to be worn on its shoulder straps, at the beginning of hosilities and as an economy measure directed towards saving metal and also as a security device, slip-on titles of khaki cloth with lettering in black thread had been introduced to be worn, not just on the Battle Dress blouse but also on the Khaki Drill jacket and the Khaki Drill Shirt.

ADDED;

As well as the machine stitched versions of the khaki cloth slip-on there was also a printed version of the same thing.

Regards.

Gerwyn

When the battle dress was introduced in March 1938, metal shoulder title were not intended to be worn on its shoulder straps, at the beginning of hosilities and as an economy measure directed towards saving metal and also as a security device, slip-on titles of khaki cloth with lettering in black thread had been introduced to be worn, not just on the Battle Dress blouse but also on the Khaki Drill jacket and the Khaki Drill Shirt.

ADDED;

As well as the machine stitched versions of the khaki cloth slip-on there was also a printed version of the same thing.

This isn't strictly true - it would be fairer to say that slip-on titles were re-introduced at this time. From post 9 of the following thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88885&st=0

To add to what Graham has posted the slip-on worsted shoulder titles were introduced in early 1916 (actual pattern sealing started in late 1915) to replace the brass titles (as far as I can tell all units had pattern seealed examples but not sure all had manufactured examples). These never really were popular at least from them actually replacing the brass titles, howver photos of these things in use in France are fairly common.

As introduced they slipped on the shoulder tab. However at least by Feb 1917 the BEF issued a GRO 2137 (13.2.17) which stated that all worsted shoulder titles will in future be worn on the sleeve just below the point of the shoulder. This GRO may have been preceded by an ACI--but I'm not sure.

Some of mine

and Notts and Derby variants shown in previous threads by Grovetown and Bronno.

post-11424-0-76551300-1331151615.jpg

post-11424-0-39637500-1331151702.jpg

Some of mine

and Notts and Derby variants shown in previous threads by Grovetown and Bronno.

Oh!, may we please share the others that you have, as a Forum asset, please?

This isn't strictly true - it would be fairer to say that slip-on titles were re-introduced at this time. From post 9 of the following thread:

http://1914-1918.inv...opic=88885&st=0

Hi Andrew

I always wait in anticipation :ph34r: , to what I'm going get, you have let me off lightly :thumbsup: . on the subject of books, I did a search on military uniforms, whilst looking, I came accross this book, is the price, a misprint.

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army

Regards.

Gerwyn

Border Regt

post-11424-0-32242600-1331218510.jpg

http://1914-1918.inv...opic=88885&st=0

Hi Andrew

I always wait in anticipation :ph34r: , to what I'm going get, you have let me off lightly :thumbsup: . on the subject of books, I did a search on military uniforms, whilst looking, I came accross this book, is the price, a misprint.

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army

Regards.

Gerwyn

[/quote

The book is a good one, and out of print but ..............

Was there anything you want me to look-up?

Hi GRUMPY

Thank you for your kind offer Mate, I bought one new, cost then £10.95, I will now look after it.

Cheers.

Gerwyn

Hi GRUMPY

Thank you for your kind offer Mate, I bought one new, cost then £10.95, I will now look after it.

Cheers.

Gerwyn

I think I will put mine in the safe.