Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown WW1 soldier - identity thoughts please

greatbeanbags

This postcard image was with my family WW1 memorabilia!

Could it be my great uncle posing for a photo after enlisting in Army reserve in 1916 before joining the RNVR Anson Bn.? We do not have a picture of him at the time when he joined up - only as a young boy circa 1910.

Thanks.

post-51610-1266581041.jpg

Maybe someone in the uniforms sub forum could help you.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't really know about the various sub forums so I've learnt a bit more about the forum now. I'll put this topic there as well - also another one! Do you know if I can simply forward this topic & the other directly over without having to make a new post? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks Bardess (Diane), MagicRat & Max7474. I know there is so little to identify but maybe one day.................

MagicRat on the same day as this post I also posted one called 'Another Unknown WW1 Soldier' - much more comment has been provoked & I think that the topic should also be moved to this sub forum. Please could I ask you to do it for me. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Clive

Well, he's not wearing rifles buttons so that probably rules out your other relative in the QWRs.

Mark

MagicRat on the same day as this post I also posted one called 'Another Unknown WW1 Soldier' - much more comment has been provoked & I think that the topic should also be moved to this sub forum. Please could I ask you to do it for me. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Clive

Pending a Mod implementing that Move, here's a Link to that topic:

Another Unknown WW1 soldier

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

Mark - thanks for your observation - I assume it relates to the image in this topic & not the one you have kindly given a link to? If the comment doesn't relate to this topic perhaps you will take a look to try & identify the uniform, slouch hat etc.

I have a feeling the man in this topic could be my great uncle Sydney when he enlisted in Army Reserve & posed for a quick photo! I only have an image of him (we think) circa 1910 in a family group picture as a young boy aged 10 or 11. Attached for you to see - he is the boy front right. Man back row 1st left is Clarence Vince (eldest great uncle) who didn't fight as he ran the Timber business, man back row 2nd from the right is great uncle Alfonso KIA 1915. Stern seated lady front row my great gran! Girl back row far right great aunt Daisy.

The man in the other topic could be a Hollox who are commemorated on the St Peters Church WW1 Memorial - I post the image below - sorry not too clear because of size - From memory there are 6 of them (4 who survived) -1 called Daniel Jack married my great aunt Florence. This picture might be him or 1 of his 5 brothers in their Regiment uniform. Don't know if you can decipher the Regiments on the memorial but 2 were clearly Suffolks who evidently wore 'slouch' hats in Salonica in 1915/16 so I'm told.

Thanks again.

Clive

Memorial.

post-51610-1267264945.jpg

post-51610-1267265046.jpg

Mark - thanks for your observation - I assume it relates to the image in this topic & not the one you have kindly given a link to?

Clive

Clive,

Yes, I was talking about the man in the photo at the top of this Topic.

One of the men named in your signature is 551929 L/Cpl Joe Vince, 1st/16th London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles), killed on 14 April 1917.

Whenever possible the QWRs wore black rifles buttons - either the standard rifles pattern, or a QWR variant with a portcullis.

The man in the photo at the top is not wearing darkened buttons, so he is probably not Joe Vince.

I was trying to be helpful in case Joe Vince was still one of the possibilities you were considering for the relative in the photo in this Topic.

Apologies for the confusion.

Cheers,

Mark

The man in the other topic could be a Hollox who are commemorated on the St Peters Church WW1 Memorial - I post the image below - sorry not too clear because of size - From memory there are 6 of them (4 who survived) -1 called Daniel Jack married my great aunt Florence. This picture might be him or 1 of his 5 brothers in their Regiment uniform. Don't know if you can decipher the Regiments on the memorial but 2 were clearly Suffolks who evidently wore 'slouch' hats in Salonica in 1915/16 so I'm told.

Thanks again.

Clive

Clive,

Afraid I'm getting very lost in all this! Are these people from your other Topic or relations of the man at the top of this one? And I can't read such small pictures - could you possibly post them either larger or zoomed in?

Which St Peter's Church is this? Whereabouts?

Bit of a longshot, but we did a lot of research on a Hollox in the CSRs a while back, and seem to remember uncovering Holloxes in Lavenham, but I fear they did not connect to the man we were researching.

Here's the topic anyway:

Pte Charles Hollox, Civil Service Rifles

The author, Pal grahamhollox, may be worth contacting if some of your people are Holloxes.

Cheers,

Mark

Clive,

Afraid I'm getting very lost in all this! Are these people from your other Topic or relations of the man at the top of this one? And I can't read such small pictures - could you possibly post them either larger or zoomed in?

Which St Peter's Church is this? Whereabouts?

Bit of a longshot, but we did a lot of research on a Hollox in the CSRs a while back, and seem to remember uncovering Holloxes in Lavenham, but I fear they did not connect to the man we were researching.

Here's the topic anyway:

Pte Charles Hollox, Civil Service Rifles

The author, Pal grahamhollox, may be worth contacting if some of your people are Holloxes.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

Let's end the confusion & call it a day on this man. There is so little to go on!

Unfortunately I don't have a clearer image of the memorial picture till I visit in person later in April. The church is in Monks Eleigh in Suffolk where the Vinces came from. The Holloxes aren't mine - 1 just married a great aunt & according to my mother he somehow managed to appropriate all my great granmothers properties when she died (of which there were several that she let people live in rent free) & therefore the Vince family inheritance! :w00t:

This forum only allows images or multiple images up to 100k in size to be posted! Most images are much higher when originally taken & have to be cropped & resized - all time consuming. The Manchester forum for example allows individual or multiple posting of images up to 800k. Perhaps the GWF administrators could follow suit if they read this.

I have just seen you have visited my other topic ' Another Unknown WW1 soldier' - will look at your posts there now in more depth.

I appreciate all your help & interest.

Clive