Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A few Great War caps

LeeG

Just joined up and thought I would start with this posting. So here goes a set caps, British and Canadian, from the Great War.

First up is a 1918 khaki RAF cap. I got this as a part of a named grouping complete with flight log and tunic.

post-53455-1266180321.jpg

side view

Here is the interior -- a very nice private purchase cap. Like I said, I have the owner's tunic, log book, name and a couple of photos. Good set.

Next up is a fairly recent find; something I have been looking for for some time: an RNAS officer's cap. It is in a little bit rougher shape than the RAF cap, but still quite displayable.

The circular stitched interior is rough and delicate, though the sweatband is intact and tight. An interesting find on this cap: the padding inside the stitching is old newspaper! Who would have guessed!

post-53455-1266180737.jpg

post-53455-1266180794.jpg

post-53455-1266180889.jpg

post-53455-1266180963.jpg

Next up is an officer's G'or Blimey hat named to a Captain in the East Yorkshire Regiment.

This hat is in very good shape but does show wear. Note that this cap is 'true' khaki, that is, a dark green khaki, not a light brown or tan khaki. It reminds me of the section of Sasoon's Memoirs when the tailor is happy to see a regular officer who understands true khaki and disparages the New Army types and their fancy for 'tan' uniforms.

post-53455-1266181245.jpg

post-53455-1266181282.jpg

post-53455-1266181307.jpg

Here is a 1916/17 trench cap with 8th Battalion CEF badge and green felt backing original to the cap. This has the special black buttons associated with this battalion.

post-53455-1266183783.jpg

Now for something nice and rare, an other ranks "Gor Blimey" cap. This cap originally had two loops but one is now lacking. No badge on this one and no markings. It is lined in blue-gray shirting flannel, the crown is padded and quilted in a spiraling pattern.

post-53455-1266184683.jpg

Thank you! I live in sunny California, just east of San Francisco.

Here is another addition, the CEF winter cap. I guess it is debatable whether these saw action in Europe or not, as most photographic evidence places these with the Siberian expedition. Nonetheless an interesting and rare variant. Note the "C" and broad arrow mark on the inside liner.

post-53455-1266186518.jpg

post-53455-1266186543.jpg

Some nice caps there Lee. Not many comments, but you got 229 views so far so people are interested!

Excellent examples off Great war headgear!!! HATS OFF to you (pardon the pun :D )

I see you have the rare Cdn winter trench cap, some people incorrectly refer to it at times

as the "Canadian" Gor' blimey but this is incorrect. The Canadian Gor' Blimey looks like it's

British counterpart but attaches to the top with two buttons, has green cardboard under the visor, the quilting is in a

zig zag pattern and the cap has two small snappers on either side. (You can see a photo of one in my post about displays)

May I ask a question regarding your British Gor' Blimey?

are the internal quilt stitches in a spiral pattern or many separate circles?

I will explain why later...

Great collection!!!!

Keep it up!

Many great war canadian winter caps were converted and had flaps removed. I have an example marked with UCI stamps post was (quite common I believe). Did these make it to france?

TT

REGARDING THE CANADIAN WINTER CAP

The correct term for this cap as per...

QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S BRANCH

1097 CLOTHING FOR C.E.F. (Siberia)

Routine order 1023, 1918.

is "Cap, forage Drab Winter"

I also have three of these such caps with the flaps cut down.

They are not as common as you'd think. Most seem to come out of California

as they were owned by many costume companies.

The two makers I see the most are, Anderson Macbeth, Toronto, 1916

and some by the Hamilton Cap company. There is also a third but the name escapes me.

Regarding service in France... I had been looking for any evidence these past 10 years

and one day while having lunch with my wife at the Canadian war museum, I looked up

at a huge wall panel (20'x20'?) and noticed these photos as backdrops

These are the only photo I've seen of this cap (with cut off ) being worn.

The men are from the 8th bn black devils (see cap badge)

So was this field kitchen photo taken in France, UK or CANADA??

Well there are some details that may help.

1. The man cutting the bread is using a Lee Enfield Bayonet

2. We see Brodie helmets, and one man holding one without a liner

3. 8/C collars

4. P08 belts

5. Duckboards.

Interesting to note two styles of CANADA shoulder titles being worn by men of the same battalion

at the same time.

And what about the boots?

IMG_2671.JPG

Roger,

Great photo--like you this is the only indication of the these caps in France.

Note what also maybe colored overlays on some of the shoulder straps denoting first contingent. What is also interesting is no OVERSEAS chevrons are apparent so dating photo to 1917?

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

Roger,

Given the duckboards and other paraphernalia I would say Europe.

Looking at those caps I think they actually might be British WSD caps with the flaps cut off not the Canadian cap.

Most of the peaks to me look non stiffened. Its hard to tell but very common to have the WSD flaps cut off and TE I thinkhas an original.

Joe Sweeney

I thought the visors of the British WSD were a little larger..

The visors on my three examples are the exact same size and dimensions as the ones in these photos.

Oh well...I thought I had finally found a photo of these caps worn overseas... :mellow:

Hi Roger,

Great photo and thank you for your comments.

The Gor Blimey cap's interior stitching is a spiral pattern, not a series of circles. I have tried to show this better in the attached photo with adjusted brightness/contrast.

I am curious about your thoughts about this.

-Lee

post-53455-1266663327.jpg

Roger,

Thanks for info.

For the record my example is an Anderson 1916 Toronto piece.

What cap would most likely be worn with a 1917/8 dummy in a artillery tunic etc. I bought my cap under false pretences!!! Will need to swap!

Regards

TT

Hello all,

Let me add to what's been said, an excellent selection of caps. I've just tried to find the WSD post that Joe referred to, but can't seem to find it. Below are the images of my cut down WSD. These were seemingly quite commonplace but with the addition of chin straps, are not always easy to spot in period images.

I would imagine this was done mainly to 'update' the WSD cap to the latest look. I've never come across any official instruction to do this, so I guess it was done unofficially by the men themselves.

Note the positioning of the chin strap. I have noticed this in several period photos of these converted caps. There are several thick layers of cloth at the bottom edge of the cap. I think this high positioning of the strap is nothing more than it being easier to sew buttons on through two or three layers rather than five or six! I can't really think of another explanation.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, they were taken using a camera phone, for another purpose. If anyone is interested I can post some clearer photos. Note the spiral lining stitching mentioned in the previous posts.

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-1266661912.jpg

post-7141-1266661999.jpg

Edited by tocemma

PS Forgot to add, in the photo of the C8 guys, I love the pile of obviously brand new shrapnel helmets at the tent opening. Note the protective paper pieces between each one. I'm sure this would help to date the photo. When was this unit first issued with steel helmets?

Tocemma