Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pics from italian front

marcuzzo

I've recently obtained the War Diary for the Anti-Aircraft HQ in Italy, which operated between November 1917 and March 1919 in the Asiago region. It's only a few pages long but is a fascinating read

Please, is it possible to obtain a copy? I can exchange with a copy of a book regarding british troops in a big camp near Genoa in 1917/19.

Sorry, but I'm not be able to send a message to Rockdoc...I'm not allowed to use messenger and don't understand why... :blush:

Scuse me Marcuzzo, I don't want to make an intrusion in your topic, I'm still learning... :)

Kibe, try sending me a PM now you've reached 5 posts. There's a limit on the number of posts you have to make before the full features of the Forum become available. It used to be 10 but has now been reduced to 5 so you should be able to contact me now.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Marco,

Amazing pictures of Asiago and the area. Thank you. When you are next in the area of Magnaboschi Cemetery, I would be grateful for a photograph off the grave of this soldier if it is possible.

RIDDELL

Initials: N G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/06/1918

Service No: 15833

Awards: M M

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 3. Row E. Grave 4.

Cemetery: MAGNABOSCHI BRITISH CEMETERY

Thank you in advance.....................................Paul.

Marco,

Amazing pictures of Asiago and the area. Thank you. When you are next in the area of Magnaboschi Cemetery, I would be grateful for a photograph off the grave of this soldier if it is possible.

RIDDELL

Initials: N G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/06/1918

Service No: 15833

Awards: M M

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 3. Row E. Grave 4.

Cemetery: MAGNABOSCHI BRITISH CEMETERY

Thank you in advance.....................................Paul.

no problem Paul..

only wait ........ now all covered by snow (1 meter)

ciao

marco

no problem Paul..

only wait ........ now all covered by snow (1 meter)

ciao

marco

Thank you very much. I'm sure Serjeant Riddell will wait for the snow to melt. !!

Paul.

• 2 months later...

very few snow.....pics in next days!

ciao

marcuzzo

Lovely thread and heart warming.....what the forum is about.

TT

Hello Marcuzzo,

Is there any chance that you might visit the British Cemetery on Mt Cavalletto? I understand it is on the site of a Casualty Clearing Station and pretty difficult to reach. My wife's great uncle is there, he died of wounds on 4 July 1918 - 57613 Pte Frederick William BROOK, 11th (Service) Bn West Yorkshire Regiment. As far as I know none of the family have ever visited him so a photo would be much appreciated.

Hope you dont mind this request and I am much obliged to you,

Regards,

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I'll cannot post more photos...I've no more room to post.

How can I do?

Let me know please

regards

marcuzzo

Open an account with a free hosting site like Photobucket, which I use. You upload the images there and the site provides you with the URL needed to add any image into a message on a Forum, like this, or in an email or even instant messenger programs.

Keith

Open an account with a free hosting site like Photobucket, which I use. You upload the images there and the site provides you with the URL needed to add any image into a message on a Forum, like this, or in an email or even instant messenger programs.

Keith

I'm not so able to the pc.....

Let's see if I can make this simple. Go HERE and open an account. It's free.

Go to "My Home" and upload the photographs you want to show on the Forum.

Move your mouse over one of the thumbnails and you will see several different options appear beneath it. Copy the information from the box on the line marked "IMG code" and paste that into your post for the Forum where you want the photo to appear. When someone accesses the post, the code you pasted into the message will tell the browser where to find the photograph and the image will appear as if it were housed by the GWF.

This is a picture of my Grandfather (on the left) in Salonika, using this method.

uniforms1.jpg

The code will look something like this, except I have added spaces inside the brackets so that it shows up.

[ IMG]http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/rockdoc2174/99th%20Anti-aircraft%20Section%20RGA/uniforms1.jpg[ /IMG]

I hope this helps,

Keith

Have just found this thread . Thanks very much for the picture of Edward Brittain's grave Kibe. Appreciated and have found it very helpful to read the posts and see all the pictures here.

Alie - there is a thread about Victor Richardson's grave and possible restoration work at

Also there is information on Victor at

I have seen NA War Service records for Victor Richardson, Geoffrey Thurlow, Edward Brittain, but can not trace Roland Leighton's records. If you want to PM me can look up the references from my notes.

Records can be sent to you by E mail or copied and posted from the National Archives for a fee .

Michael Bully

aliecoco said:
Awwww kibe, thank you so much! That was so sweet of you! Your pics are just what I wanted to see. There is something about children at a cemetery too.... just makes me think of the future, guess I think of my own young son with that, but life goes on....but we should not ever forget....

The photos have really made me visualise everything, and after visiting, Vera's and Edwards friends, and after reading so much about them all, I can now see where he ended. Thank you, you have made my day!

Alie.

PS On my next visit to the NA, I ought to get out his service record.....

• 2 months later...

I am a bit of a new boy having only just joined; but have been going regularly to the Asiago/Valsugana area since 1964, and am off there again tomorrow: I'll try to visit some of the sites, and, when I'm allowed to, post some photos.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (marcuzzo @ Apr 22 2010, 01:52 PM) at june.....

I'm obliged to you,

Regards,

Martin thumbsup.png

Hi Marcuzzo,

Did you ever manage to get any photos of the Mount Cavelletto cemetery?

Regards,

Martin

Ciao!

In this moment I'm in Asiago in an internet point.

I maked photo for Border/1, Paul21455 and Kevint, and in september, when I'll turn back home, I'll open a thread to post them with other pics....

If anybody needs photos of their grandfather's grave, he have just to tell me, and I'll make the possible to do it...

see you soon...

• 1 month later...
The other one is still a puzzle. The typing is definitely CMA di FONTE and the guns are clearly in a mountainous area. If it helps, another gun is recorded as being at CMA DEL PORCO. If we can agree what CMA stands for then perhaps we stand a decent chance of identifying the site.

find it!

look here

http://www.procalvene.it/il_territorio.html

To close my part of this thread properly, I'd just like to confirm what we deduced here. I recently bought a CD of map images and the Italian ones use CMA rather than CIMA so the War Diary was technically correct. All such names are at the tops of hills so I think that the 'proper' Italian is cima.

Keith

You are in right! CMA is for CIMA, in this case Cima di Fonte near Cima del Porco.

In August I went there, but I didn't make pics....just these....

a plane of barrack near the top of Cima di Fonte

img1812bf.th.jpg

the trench to the artillery positionsin very good condition:

img1819b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ammunitions....

img1821b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 1 year later...

Cima Fonte (1519m) is on the "Marginal line", between Mt. Paù and Mt. Corno (Calvene municipality, but near Asiago). Cima del Porco is some hundred meters from Cima Fonte. May be you can find the same picture that you're talking about, inthe book by Hogg/Thurston "British Artillery Weapons & Ammunitions 1914-1918", London 1972.

Greetings from Asiago Plateau

Francesco

In case of interest, (research, pics and so) I live near Cavalletto and Granezza Cemeteries; have a lot of books, pictures and memories about BEF Italy on Asiago front. (all in english, unfortunately, I'm writing a book about this topic with a friend of mine).

take care.

f