Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle Harry Edkins

fmdavey@ncable.net.au

Dear forum members,

I have attached a photo of my great uncle Harry Edkins - born in Sunderland Co Durham around 1884. My father seems to think that he may have served in Greece during WW1 - I have not been able to find any documents on Ancestor in relation to his service records or medal card so was hoping that the forum might be able to help with identifying something about Harry from the the attached.

With kind regards from OZ

Fiona

post-52291-1263083915.jpg

Hi Fiona,

He is wearing Khaki drill uniform and a Wolseley helmet which certainly suggests service in the Middle East or southern Europe. If you look for posts on 'Khaki drill' you might get more information. Two pockets and a stand collar might mean a slightly earlier period than the First World War. There do not appear to be any other distinguishing features such as rank badges etc.

Incidentally there is a Australian 'Davey' in Tyne Cot cemetery buried just behind the Cross of Rememberance. I think he is from the Victorian Daveys as opposed to my New South Welsh lot. Are you aware of the Australian War Records on line through the Australian War Memorial?

Regards

Greg

Hi Fiona

I can only see three lads with the name Harry Edkins on The N.A,one was in the Labour Corps ( 105734 ) and the Devonshire Regiment (59975 ),and another was Cpt. and the last this may be your man was Harry Edkins Cpl 16498 of the 4th Worcestershire Regiment with his date of entry as 07/08/1915 and Theatre of War first served in as 2b Balkans b= Gallipoli ( Dardanelles ).you never know.

all the best fae Gary.