Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four mates

fmdavey@ncable.net.au

Dear forum members,

I have attached a photo of my great uncle Harry Edkins - far right - with three mates hard at it building an oven. Harry was born about 1884 in Sunderland, Co Durham and my father thinks he was in Greece for a spell during WW1 and that's about all we know. I was hoping the great brains of the forum may be able help with some information gleaned from the uniforms. I have searched through Ancestry for service records etc with with no luck.

I have also posted another picture in the Uniforms section of the forum showing him in pith helmet etc which my dad thinks might have been taken in Greece.

With kind regards from OZ

Fiona

post-52291-1263084561.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

It is sometime since I posted to the forum, but I still follow the emails with great interest. I am visiting the UK from Australia and have come across some additional information on my great Uncle Harry Edkins.

I have found a post card sent to him by one of his sisters in about 1917/1918. It appears to have his regimental number in the address - 23663 - and is addressed to the Room 4, RGA Barracks, Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey. I am assuming that this is the Royal Garrison Artillery but any information that people may have is very welcome.

Haven't been this cold in years - but at least the cricket is going in our favour!!

Cheers

Fiona

Henry J Edkins Kings Royal Rifle Corps R23663

He was entitled to the Victory and British War Medal but no mention of the RGA or anything other than the KRRC

Apparently the KRRC has a depot at the Isle of Sheppey so may have shared with the RGA at some point.

The 5th and 6th (Reserve) battalions were based at Sheerness throughout the Great War.

Judging by the crude brickwork in the photograph the soldiers might have been building a field oven when the photograph was taken.

Hello again

Just a quick thank you to everyone for their quick replies to my question - I have now got the copy of his medal card but no luck with his service record. I have attached another photo of him for interest/posterity through this forum. There is also a photo of him under the uniforms section in khaki drill.

With kind regard from Oz (in UK)

Fiona

post-52291-088755400 1293479591.jpg