Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoulder Titles

Copper6197

On another Forum thread, I am trying to identify the regiment through the shoulder titles on my relative's uniform.

The two best possibilities are the KOYLI which seems quite distinctive, and the Welsh Regiment. Anyone have a picture or can they describe the WW1 Welsh shoulder title to help narrow down the search?

Thanks in advance,

George

Hi George,

The Welsh Regiment Title is simply a brass title, with the word WELSH on. It is semi-circular.

Cheers,

STeveJ.

The Welsh Regiment Title is simply a brass title, with the word WELSH on. It is semi-circular

Additionally the Territorial Battalions would have a 'T' over a numeral (dependent on the battalions number) over the middle of the curved badge shown here.

Dave

Additionally the Territorial Battalions would have a 'T' over a numeral (dependent on the battalions number) over the middle of the curved badge shown here.

Dave

See my avitar for 6th Welsh, would have been worn when the battalion 1st went to France in Oct 1914.

Simon

Thanks for the info to you all!

This relative was a member of the 10th Service Battalion of the Welsh.

Would the New Armies shoulder titles differ from the regular force? I ask because in the attached photo there is what appears to be the semi-circular "Welsh" on the shoulder title, but there is something else there as well.

I apologize for the quality of the photo. I have the original here at home as well as a scan copy. The resolution was lost during the downsizing of the photo for uploading onto the Forum.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=139132

George