Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Copper6197

Hello Fellow Members

Attached here is a photo of my Grandmother and her first husband, one Harold Hargreaves, who was killed in action in Flanders in August, 1917. The photo appears to be one taken around the time of their marriage in 1915. Harold seems to be showing the shoulder titles of the KOYLI. The image may not be as clear as I had liked, but it appears very similar to the KOYLI.

Can anyone assist?

post-38360-1261455967.jpg

(editing photos is not my forte, some of the original resolution lost in reducing size of picture to upload to Forum)

George

Hi George, don`t know if this is of any help, but the CWGC records have an Private H Hargreaves KOYLI listed as Killed in action 30/9/17, buried at Bedford House Cemetery. Service number 34371. Can`t see too much detail on the photo, but does look like it could be a KOYLI shoulder title, difficult to be sure. Comparing the photo to one of my grandad who was KOYLI, cut of the uniform looks the same, but I don`t know whether that was standard across all the army units of the time. Not much help I`m afraid.

Tom

Hello George,

take a look at this thread i started, it has a pic of my grandad wearing Koyli insignia, shoulder titles not to clear on my pic either !,

cheers,

John.

Link to thread:

Thanks guys for replying;

I have the original photo here at home. It wasn't very clear either. My digital copy cleared it up a bit,but then as I said, the more clear resolution was lost in uploading.

This has opened up some more questions though, as Harold's MIC (#47601 Service Number) does not show any reference to the KOYLI. When he was killed, Harold was a member of the 10-th Batt. Welsh Regiment. The shoulder title in the photo above does not resemble (to me anyways) that of the Welsh.

Anyone else want to have a go?

George