Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BritisH Committee of the French Red Cross

DaveCo

Help, I have been researching my Great Aunt Daisy Ellen Pope who was a member of the French Flag nursing Corps from May 1915. I am trying to locate where the records of the British Committee of the French Red Cross(FFNC) are held. I have tried the RCN Archive, the French Red Cross, and drawn a blank. The British Red Cross informed me that the records were handed over to the French Embassy in London around 1927. Any assistance please.

I haven't yet come across the actual records for the British Committee of the French Red Cross - do let me know if you manage to track them down!

The National Archives WO329/2323 contains a listing of nursing staff working for the committee, with separate listings for the Belgian Field Hospital and the French Flag Nursing Corps. Daisy Ellen Pope is mentioned in the latter list as having served from May 1915 to November 1918 - although this just means she served until the end of hostilities and may not have returned home for some months following.

You could also have a look at the Women's Work Collection - France in the Imperial War Museum. They have some material relating to the FFNC.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Siobhan

Hi Siobhan

Thank you for the information. I have quite a lot of information, the RCN Archive is has been very helpful, but some of the details are a little vague, and I am unsure of exactly where she was between Dec 1915 to Jan 1917. I think that she was in Paris, but I have been unable to confirm this.

I think I have found where the Actual records of the British Committee of the French Red Cross are located. At the same time as I started this thread, I sent an email to the French Embassy in London, who replied to me yesterday.

The Archivist has suggested that the documents have been moved to the National Diplomatic Archives Centre of Nantes.

The address is given as Centre des Archives Diplomatiques de Nantes, 28 Rue de Malville, BP 1033 44036 Nantes Cedex. Tele (33) (0) 251772020.

I am in the process of writing to them to see if they have the records, and if they will release any details. So it looks as though I may have found the answer my own question.

Dave

If, indeed, (a) they have the records and (B) they will grant access or answer questions, then this is a major find. My information has always been that the records of the BCFRX were destroyed. Please keep us posted on this one.

Norman

Searching online today, I found a reference which states " Provision has been made by the French Embassy for the storage of the Archives of the "British Committee of the French Red Cross" It was from a book "The Archives of the British Red Cross" by Margaret Poulter, published around 1993.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Herewith more info about the records of the British Committee of the CRF. I contacted Nantes after reading Dave's post at the beginning of December, to ask about the archives, and in particular about a short-lived CRF hospital in Paris in which I'm interested. I got onto a very helpful woman who offered to look for me, and the email below came today.

For those who don’t read French, she says the archives contain a file containing correspondence between the French embassy and the Committee, but no formal records. There’s also some other material related to the work of voluntary bodies (I think that’s approx what ‘oeuvres d’assistance’ means) and hospitals ‘in different towns in France’.

PV = procès-verbaux (=minutes, or records)

She also suggests the CRF in Paris might have more info, and gives the address to write to. I don't know whether Ms Cras speaks English, but her contact details are (Tel) 0033 251772459 and (Email) Anne-sophie.CRAS@diplomatie.gouv.fr

Hope this is of use

Jennian

Madame,

Vous nous aviez appelés pour nous demander si nous détenions les procès-verbaux des réunions du comité britannique de la Croix-Rouge française pendant la Première guerre mondiale.

J'ai consulté l'inventaire des archives de l'ambassade de France à Londres. Elles contiennent un dossier sur la Croix-Rouge française, qui comporte de la correspondance entre le comité britannique de la Croix-Rouge et l'ambassade mais pas de P.V.

Il existe d'autres dossiers consacrés aux oeuvres d'assistance pendant la guerre ainsi qu'aux hôpitaux établis dans différentes villes de France, mais aucun ne porte sur l'hôpital dont vous m'avez parlé. Je vous suggérerais donc d'interroger le service des archives de la Croix-Rouge française : 98, rue Didot 75694 Paris cedex 14.

Je vous prie de croire, Madame, à l'assurance de ma considération distinguée.

Anne-Sophie Cras

Centre des archives diplomatiques de Nantes

Thank you Jennian

I have just received a reply from Nantes to a letter I wrote, and it is in similar vein. Unfortunately the French Red Cross Archive do not seem to have much information on what they call Foreign volunteers. While I was waiting for a reply from Nantes, I tried to think outside the square and looked at French Genealogy and WW1 sites, and found the following:-

The 14/18 Association. www.association14-18.org/index.htm

Also a guide to French military archives www.duchezeau.cyrille.free.fr/archive_militaire.htm

These sites threw up a couple of addresses which I have written to, and await a reply. They are as follows:-

La Musee de L'hospital, Militaire du Val de Grace, 1 Place Alphonse, Laveran, 75230, Paris Cedex 05.

Service des Archives Medicales Hospitaliers des Armees, BP 15, 87998, Limoges Armees.

I am unsure of what information they may contain, and suspect that the SAMHA address contains French Army casualty records from various hospitals, but they may be able to point me in the right direction.

My French is pretty poor, but I use the Google translator to compose my letters.

Maybe this will help

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Well Alan, with a few corrections, my French must have been understood, recieived a reply from a Capitaine Catherine Cathelineau at SAMHA today, translated it reads

" Your letter of the 5th January 2010 when you requested information about your Great Aunt Daisy Ellen Pope caught my attention

I am unfortunately unable to bring you the information you need, I am only holding service archives of sick and injured people from military health facilities but no record of staff.

However I wish to send you photocopies of records of hospitals in which your Aunt has served as a nurse.

Without prejudice, you may contact the Service History of Defense, Chateau de Vincennes, Avenue de Paris, 94306 Vincennes Cedex Service who holds records of Ambulance Nurses."

While Daisy was with the Surgical Service, she did spend time in ambulances during the retreat from the German Spring Offensive 1918, so I am in the process of writing to this department to see if any information is available.

Dave

Wow, Dave! That's a stunner. But not sure I understand what Capt. Cathelineau says she will send--hospitalized soldiers' medical records or descriptive records of the hospitals themselves. Do you have enough information to elaborate?

Also, does it appear that the Service History of Defense to which you've been referred might be using the word "ambulance" to mean "hospital", as is often the case with this word? I'm researching an Anglo-French Hospital of the British Committee of the French Red Cross (operating in Haute-Marne under French Service de Sante authority, Region XX) about which I'd love to find records on French soil: "Hopital Temporaire d'Arc-en-Barrois". I've got a long list of French soldiers' names who were hospitalized there.

Good luck. This sounds like a real breakthrough that might benefit a lot of us searchers! Keep us posted.

Marjorie

Hi Majorie

The photocopies that were sent to me consist of the front covers of a form no 225a which is a register giving "Entry of Patients" to a hospital in Palavas, and a form 225G which is a "Register of Fatalities". She has also sent me a front cover of a Register for a Hospital Neerlandaise( Nederlands) stamped Ambulance Neerlandaise, covering entries from 15/10/16 to 9/1/1919. It would appear to have been in Paris I think it has an archive no N2538.

When I wrote I knew that SAMHA had lists of casualties admitted to Military Hospitals, but as I am interested in the staff of Toul 1915, Verneuil Hospital 36 1917-18, and Palavas Hospital Militaire no 1 1919 onwards, I wondered if they had lists of Nursing Sisters. This is not the case. I have also written to the other address listed on my post of 6th January, but have so far not received a reply.

It would seem that SAMHA have lists of casualties, for these hospitals, and from threads on a French 1914-18 Association website, it appears that they will release the information, but I have a feeling that you would have to be very specific.

Hope this helps

Dave

... the Service History of Defense, Chateau de Vincennes, Avenue de Paris, 94306 Vincennes Cedex

The Service Historique de la Défense [Defence Historical Service] at the Château de Vincennes is the amalgamation of the archives services of all arms of the French forces.

Dave,

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Marjorie

• 2 months later...

Dear All

I have spent some considerable time attempting to trace my Great Aunt's movements during her Nursing Service in France.

Fortunately I had some original correspondence, but I found the RCN Archive of great assistance, even a photo.

However when attempting to find the actual records of the BCFRX, I have drawn a blank at every turn, which has rapidly lead me to the conclusion that Norman was correct, and the records no longer exist.

I would like to thank you all for your assistance, and appreciate all your help.

Dave

• 4 years later...
Guest Gilbert Box

Dear Dave, and others who have contributed. I am interested in the French Flag Nursing Corps and their place in nursing history. I would welcome any news you might have about them and in particulr, Dave, if you could give me any more information about your Great Aunt whose history, like you, I have followed in the BJN archives. Many thanks,

Peter Jones

Hello Dave,

Try trawling through the British Journal of Nursing. I found this most helpful when I was researching Clementina Addinson.

Fred

• 4 months later...

Dear Kind Contributors,

This page has been a revelation.

I had given up hope of finding out more about my Aunt (yes! I am 86!) who served with the French Red Cross. The only information I have from the Nat. Archive is her medal form which states that Agnes Mary Richley served with the F.R.+ as a Sister. She received the Victory Medal ( FR+/101 B5 - page 255 ) and ditto for the British Medal in theatre of war 1(a).Date of entry 10.15.-- Thats all I know. Later, she went to Serbia with the Wounded Allies Relief Committee and then to Egypt with QAIMS. I would so like to find out what she did and where she served in France or Belgium.

Having given up the search, I will now try again. I am so grateful for all your information

Thank you, Sophie

I had given up hope of finding out more about my Aunt (yes! I am 86!) who served with the French Red Cross. The only information I have from the Nat. Archive is her medal form which states that Agnes Mary Richley served with the F.R.+ as a Sister. She received the Victory Medal ( FR+/101 B5 - page 255 ) and ditto for the British Medal in theatre of war 1(a).Date of entry 10.15.-- Thats all I know. Later, she went to Serbia with the Wounded Allies Relief Committee and then to Egypt with QAIMS. I would so like to find out what she did and where she served in France or Belgium.

Hi

This is from page 415, 13 May 1916 of the British Journal of Nursing

Six more nurses and a doctor hava gone out

this week to Corfu, under the auspices of the

Wounded Allies Relief Committee, of Sardinia

House, Kingsway, W.C., to the relief of sick and

wounded Serbian soldiers. Dr. Philip Gel1 Garrett

is the doctor, and the nurses are the Misses Agnes

Richley, Edith Wedderburn, Jean Miller, Ellen

Brimson, Alice Aitchison Brown, and Jessie Edith

Borlase.

and this on page 312, 16 Oct 1915 of the Journal

The following nurses left England on Friday,

October 8th, en route for the Wounded Allies

Relief Committee's hospital at Kragujevatz,

Serbia :-Miss Elizabeth Kennett (late housekeeper

at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital)

Miss Mary Agnes Buse (late Royal Free Hospital),

Miss Elizabeth Ogilvy Rogers,!Miss Agnes Richley.

This hospital has now been constituted by the

Serbian authorities the Third Base hospital for

the army and has a capacity of 600 beds.

Hope this helps

Peter

Hello Sophie

The fact that she appears on the French Red Cross medal roll doesn't mean that she actually served in France or Belgium. The French Red Cross medal roll fits exactly with what Peter has posted above, namely that she originally went overseas with the W.A.R.C. in October 1915 and was with them until January 1916. So that French Red Cross entry is just a bit misleading and simply refers to the medal roll she appears on for the issue of the British War Medal and Victory Medal and not where she served.

Sue

Dear Sue and Peter.

Thank you so much for your contributions, and yours, Sue will save me a lot of unnecessary research in France.

Thank you too, Peter, I had found these references in the Brit J. Nursing but my enquiries at the Imperial War Museum suggested that she would have arrived in Serbia at the time of the great Allied retreat and evacuation of the hospital at Kragujevatz. So what happened to her there I don't know, but perhaps that's why she was then sent to Corfu. I have found her service record in Egypt. Her brother William had been killed in France in May 1915 and again you kind contributors have supplied a wonderful amount of information about him- so Thank You, Great War Forum.

with all good wishes,

Sophie

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for this information.

I only just found out that I have a relative Doris (Dorothy May) Critchley-Salmonson who was a nurse with the British Committee of the French Red Cross. I would very much welcome any help

Best wishes

I'm researching an Anglo-French Hospital of the British Committee of the French Red Cross (operating in Haute-Marne under French Service de Sante authority, Region XX) about which I'd love to find records on French soil: "Hopital Temporaire d'Arc-en-Barrois". I've got a long list of French soldiers' names who were hospitalized there.Good luck. This sounds like a real breakthrough that might benefit a lot of us searchers! Keep us posted.Marjorie

Hi, Thanks to Sue I just discovered that Doris Critchley-Salmonson was a nurse at d'Arc-en- Barrois in 194. I would very much appreciate any information or pointers. Thanks & best wishes