Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Beatty

paul guthrie

Who will be the 1st to tell us what his tombstone says & where he's buried? You have to know, no looking it up!

Without looking it up?

Does it read: 'Hello Sailor! Kiss me, Hardy....mmm, nice!' :lol:

Beatty: I live near a Beatty Drive, just off a Jellicoe Avenue. Is it cryptic? He surely can't still be alive! Does he live near me?

Lo, the Sensible Answer: Buried at sea, hence no inscription on a gravestone. That's my wild guess.

Cheers

Richard

St. Paul's Cathedral.

I don't remember what the inscription says as it is a long time since I've been in to the building. I don't like paying to enter churches or cathedrals in London when I'm already paying so much to live in London.(Council Tax, congestion charge, resident's parking etc. etc.)

St. Paul's Cathedral.

I don't remember what the inscription says as it is a long time since I've been in to the building. I don't like paying to enter churches or cathedrals in London when I'm already paying so much to live in London.(Council Tax, congestion charge, resident's parking etc. etc.)

Correctomundo! ;) I said don't look it up but how about a pal nearby walking over & getting the answer? Personally I think the inscription arrogant.

Just a guess:

"Something seems to be wrong with me today...."  ;)

:( " B****r!"

Paul

It will be cheaper if you tell us what the inscription says rather than one of the Pals having to pay to go into St. Paul's Cathedral. ;)

What do they charge? Have only been once. I was going to leave this open til tomorrow but will put answer on today if you want. Of course that assumes I live til tomorrow and as my secretary reminds me we are at the stage that we should always eat dessert first! :D

I realize Britain is largely a post Christian nation but what do they do on the off chance someone wants to pray?

I realize Britain is largely a post Christian nation but what do they do on the off chance someone wants to pray?

That is the problem. Unless you attend the formal services you can not just drop in and have a quiet pray. Some people, as you know, prefer to pray alone rather than chant in unison.

What do they charge?

About 6 or 7 pounds ! :blink:

And Jesus threw the Moneylenders out of the Temples? ;)

BEATTY

Not "OoooooooH Beatty!"?

No, he's got a grave & tombstone according to what I read yesterday.

You mean you looked it up?

No, he's got a grave & tombstone according to what I read yesterday.

You mean you looked it up?

Now that would be cheating! ;) I read this in The Grand Scuttle. I doubt 20% of the people who see the headstone know who he is.

• 2 weeks later...

Had that brave, mortally wounded Royal Marine not ordered Lion's Q magazine flooded, Beatty's epitaph might well have been the famous:

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today..."

:blink:

Smug Des - I thought EVERYONE knew that? :D

Seriously. I thought it was THE egotistical inscription of all time!

• 4 years later...
Who will be the 1st to tell us what his tombstone says & where he's buried? You have to know, no looking it up!

Well?... what is it? You can't ask the question and not supply the answer.. that's cruel! :-)

Personally I think the inscription arrogant.

Might well be arrogant but isn't the use of a single name the standard format for the aristocracy when signing letters etc. ...??

Brian

If that is all the tombstone inscription says, then yes, it's arrogant to assume that posterity will know who the hell BEATTY is or was, regardless of how the aristocracy sign their monnikers. IMO, of course :mellow:

Jim

If that is all the tombstone inscription says, then yes, it's arrogant to assume that posterity will know who the hell BEATTY is or was, regardless of how the aristocracy sign their monnikers. IMO, of course :mellow:

Jim

He of course lies next to Jellicoe. Hopefully people will be able to put two and two together. Perhaps Beatty knew that one day his actions concerning the Record of the Battle of Jutland would come out and wanted to be as anonymous as possible :closedeyes:

Simon

I doubt 20% of the people who see the headstone know who he is.

Sir William Beatty, surgeon, HMS Victory, who tended Nelson at Trafalgar ...?