Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS/H.M Hospital Ship GLENART CASTLE

Neil Clark

Fiona, you may find it worthwhile to paste your text into Notepad first, as the formatting gets garbled if you paste directly into the "ADD REPLY" section.

Using Add Reply also avoids quoting all of the previous post.

If you select the text after pasting and click on the top left icon on the 'post reply' page, it removes any formatting. It's immediately to the left of the 'Other styles' drop down box.

Robert,

I had a little mystery, and have just checked, her mother remarried, Carl Kollmann ELDERHORST on 29 Jan 1903 in London, and they were living in Marylebone in 1911. Hitchin also ties in, as Carl died there in 1929.

Hate loose ends ;)

Aye,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Thank you very much indeed for the information regarding Gertrude Roskell and her elusive family. They certainly seem to have been most places for short periods of time!!

Robert,

I had a little mystery, and have just checked, her mother remarried, Carl Kollmann ELDERHORST on 29 Jan 1903 in London, and they were living in Marylebone in 1911. Hitchin also ties in, as Carl died there in 1929.

Hate loose ends ;)

Aye,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Thank you very much indeed for the info on Gertrude Roskell, this certainly adds some meat to the bone, so to speak! and explains why I have not been able to find much on her. It seems that her family were never in one place for very long, and would certainly have had little time to become well known anywhere!!

Regards, Robert

PS I lost my first reply and here it is posted as incomplete!! Grrrrrrrrr

Edited by old owl

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fiona,

I have found your very interesting short bios of a couple of women of the War - I am just starting to do some work on twenty women who appear on the local Cathedral - but of whom only 15 are on the CWGC.

Could you email me - I have some bits and pieces but would enjoy getting in touch.

Kathie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GeorgeM

Hello,

I represent the group of people who raised the memorial to HMHS Glenart Castle on Hartland Point. We have started to collect details of all those who were in the ship at the time of the sinking; do you have any family details and possibly a phot of your relative? 2012 will be the tenth year of commemoration at Hartland and all Forum members will be most welcome.

Michael Harrison (Julian Byng)

Hello, my grandfather was on the Glenart Castle when it was sunk. His name was George Mavor, he was in the RAMC. I have pictures if that would be of interest. George.

• 2 months later...

Algernon Aubrey Bakewell Warrilow Chippenham 26-Feb-18 RAMC At Sea M

According to a plaque that his widow erected,

In ever loving memory of my dear husband Corporal Algernon A.B.Warrilow A.S.C. M.T. who died of enteric fever on board H.M.H.S. "Dunluce Castle" 26th February 1918 aged 29 years

"I will bring them again from the depths of the sea"

Erected by his sorrowing wife.

Plaque inside the church of St Barbara's, Ashton Under Hill

Son of James Bakewell and Clara Sophia. Warrilow, of Amesbury House, Chippenham, Wilts; husband of A. M. C. Warrilow, of 26, Princess Rd., Evesham, Worcs.

He had played hockey for the Chippenham Hockey Club.

Brothers:

Ted (Lionel Edward Bakewell) - RASC MT

George - PoW in Austria

Reginald - RAF died

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I represent the group of people who raised the memorial to HMHS Glenart Castle on Hartland Point. We have started to collect details of all those who were in the ship at the time of the sinking; do you have any family details and possibly a phot of your relative? 2012 will be the tenth year of commemoration at Hartland and all Forum members will be most welcome.

'Julian Byng' time stamp='1299066132' post='1557630'

I'm Zejab (real name Brian Iles). My friend George Elliott of Bitton, Bristol, had a great uncle, Jabez Bull of Bristol, who was a member of the crew that went down with the Glenart Castle. He could have been a wireless operator. George has two of his medals, the British War medal, and one for War sevice mercantile Marine 1914 to 1918. I haven't worked out to attach the pictures yet. George is looking for a photo of Jabez.

His CWGC entry:

Name: BULL, JABEZ GEORGE. Rank: Wireless Operator. Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: H.M.H.S. "Glenart Castle" (Southampton). Age: 23. Date of Death: 26/02/1918

Additional information: Son of Clara Sarah Ann Bull, of Burlington House, High St., Hanham, Bristol, and the late Jabez Bull.

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL.

The Probate records have:-

Bull, Jabez George, of Burlington House, High Street Hanham, Bristol, marconi operator on Glenart Castle died 26th February at sea.

Administration Bristol 22nd May 1918 to Clara Sarah Ann Bull, widow. Effects £109, 6 shilling and 8 pence.

Hope that helps, there might possibly have been a photo with any newspaper report in his home city of Bristol.

Might be worth checking the library local history and newspaper archives to see if there may be a photo....

Painter George Wilfred Clasby b. 1884 (my 3x cousin x3 removed) died on the Glenart Castle

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Hi Michael

Just been doing a bit more research on Edith Blake (who went down in the Glenart Castle) & thought you might like a copy of what I have.

Cheers, Frev

BLAKE, Edith – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Born: in 1885 at Sydney (reg. 3151) – daughter of Charles BLAKE (Milk Vendor) and Catherine CANHAM – who married 15/11/1884, St Peter’s Church, Sydney, NSW. Charles b.1866 Ipswich, Suffolk, England – died 1938 Kogarah, NSW, Catherine b.1859 Sydney, NSW – died 1947 Sans Souci, NSW

Siblings (2): 1. Grace b.1887 Redfern, NSW; 2. Alice May b.1896 Darlington, (Redfern) NSW – Nurse – marr. Wilfred O’Neill KNEESHAW 1925 – d.1993 Arncliffe, NSW

Parent’s address: 9 Vista St, San Souci, Sydney, NSW

[Charles had a brother William (A.W), living 6 Staverton Rd, Brondesbury Park, Cricklewood, London]

Nursed at the Coast Hospital, Sydney, NSW before the war

WW1 Service:

Accepted for service with the QAIMNSR in Sydney on the 4/4/1915, she then travelled to Melbourne by the overnight Express with 14 other NSW nurses, where they embarked on the RMS Malwa on the 6/4/1915 for Egypt.

On their arrival Edith served at the 17th General Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt from 2/5/15 until embarking on the Wandilla 1/10/1916 to join the HS Essequibo at Mudros Harbour – joining 5/10/16

Served temporarily at No.21 General Hospital, Alex from the 27/12/16 to the 14/1/1917, when she rejoined the Essequibo

She was then given the option of 14 days leave from 20/4/1917 before being posted to Salonika unless she requested otherwise – no longer desirous of serving in the East, she instead requested duty in either France or England – and was posted to the Prisoner of War Hospital, Belmont, Surrey from 1/5/1917 (nursing German POWs – under Matron E.M. Fairchild, & Lieut-Col Wm Butler, RAMC)

Joined the hospital ship Glenart Castle at Liverpool 13/11/1917

Drowned at sea 26/2/1918, age 32 – when the HS Glenart Castle was sunk by a torpedo from the German submarine U56 in the Bristol Channel near Lundy Island. The hospital ship was on her way to France to pick up wounded, and all eight nurses on board were lost.

Commemorated on the Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton

Honour screen, York Cathedral, England

Kogarah Honor Roll, NSW (including photo)

The British Journal of Nursing, March 9, 1918:

Amongst the nursing staff of the Glenart Castle were two nurses who had just given up the greater part of a year to nursing German prisoners of war at Belmont, Surrey. We all know how hard this task is, and it seems an act of brutal ingratitude that their work for the enemy wounded should be requited with foul murder at the hands of the German navy.

Sister R. R. Beresford joined the Glenart Castle on February 24th; and Sister Blake, an Australian, in November.

A memorial service, held on Sunday in the hospital chapel at Belmont, was conducted by Captain Whitaker, who paid a high tribute to the work of the Sisters.

During the impressive service, Sister Berry sang “O Rest in the Lord”; and it concluded with the “Last Post.”

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 26 Feb 1919:

IN MEMORIAM

On Active Service

BLAKE – In loving memory of our daughter, Staff Nurse Edith Blake (QAIMNSR) on active service aboard the hospital ship Glenart Castle, which was torpedoed and lost February 26, 1918.

For her there were no flowers

To adorn the unmarked surface of the waters;

The ocean alone decks her grave with gifts of pearl and shell,

And wreaths her brow with seaweeds rare.

Inserted by her father, mother and sisters, Vista-street, Sans Souci

Notes:

*Copy of Service Record (67 pages)

*Kneeshaw Family Tree on Ancestry – has ‘coloured’ portrait of her in uniform, photo of her at 8mths old, photo of the Kogarah Honor Roll – plus other family photos

• 2 weeks later...

"Red Cross Outrage", on the Glenart Castle and Rewa torpedoings, is showing again tonight on the Yesterday channel (channel 12 digital) at 2100.

sJ

http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/episode/listing_id/155742962/channel_id/3866

• 2 years later...
Guest mareanna

The wireless operator was Jabez George BULL, born 1895 in Hanham, South Gloucestershire, son of Jabez and Clara Sara Ann (Webley). On the 1911 census he was a Telegraph Messenger. According to a member of his family, he continued to broadcast SOS as the ship went down and for this was awarded a bronze and a silver medal. I can't verify this as he has recently died. All I have is a black and white photo in a book of the front of medals