Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Edward

stevem49

The nautical location of the sinking of the Royal Edward was 36 deg, 31 mins north, 26 degs, 51 mins east. In real terms that is approx 8 miles west of the lighthouse islet of Kanhelioussa, itself lying south west of Nisyros/Nisiros in the Dodecanese islands of the Aegean Sea.

The map below (my own lines on a map of the region) plots the journey of the Royal George, the sister ship of the Royal Edward which was carrying the 1/4th Battalion of Northamptonshire Regiment, and was a few hours ahead of its sister ship. Point 1 marks the location of the sinking of the Royal Edward. Nisyros is the larger roundish island north-east of "1" beyond the two or three smaller islands, the first of which is Kanhelioussa. The line of the Royal George's voyage is only approximate but I believe the location of the sinking of the Royal Edward is shown correctly.

No 2 is Bodrum out of which UB14 captained by Oberleutnant zur See Heino von Heimburg sailed to sink the Royal Edward.

UB 14 is detailed here, but I can't guaranteed the veracity of Wikipedia pages...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-14

Aegean3.jpg

Steve.

Many thanks Steve, will look at that link now

Regards Sue

Sue,

Click on my Profile & send me an email with your email address.

:-)

Kath.