Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Edward

stevem49

I have been contacted by a lady looking for info on the following man -

8179 Pte Charles Stell, Lancashire Fusiliers, drowned 13 August 1915, Royal Edward sinking.

I would be obliged for any info.

She cannot post for soem reason, hence my doing it.

Steve M

Steve. One attestation paper for this man dated 1909 when he enlisted in the West Riding Regt, he was born in Skipton 1882 and worked for the English Sewing Cotton Co as a dyers labourer, also served 3rd VB Battalion same regt, enititled to the 1915 Star trio medals and enlisted in the LFs in Manchester, to France 26-1-1915. Hope this helps. Ralph.

1901 Census:- son of William B and Elizabeth A Stell known as Charley in 1901 and was a cotton card roving room hand. Ralph.

From the Evening Chronicle Sept 6th 1915

Lancashire Fusilier deaths.

post-28661-1257461154.gif

Garry

Firstly thanks Steve for the initial post! many thanks for the responses . Charles Stell was my great grandfather I already have his personal details i.e. census and family details. Would like confirmation if in fact he was aboard the Royal Edward or is it just coincidence that he drowned on the same day as the loss of the ship? Checked yesterday in the local history library close to his last known address, unfortunately no new info. Any help and pointers much appreciated as I now seem to have exhausted all my leads.

Regards Sue

Steve. One attestation paper for this man dated 1909 when he enlisted in the West Riding Regt, he was born in Skipton 1882 and worked for the English Sewing Cotton Co as a dyers labourer, also served 3rd VB Battalion same regt, enititled to the 1915 Star trio medals and enlisted in the LFs in Manchester, to France 26-1-1915. Hope this helps. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph, was there by any chance a mention of his address? or wifes' name? Just to confirm I am in fact searching the correct Stell. Sure I am as there only appears to be one Charles Stell born Skipton and then later in the Manchester area. As far as I know the family moved to Patricroft Eccles between 1910 and 1911.

Regards Sue

Hi Susan,

The "cutting" I have posted is for men who died from the Lancashire Fusiliers on the Royal Edward. Charles's name is there "Stell (8179) C". So he was aboard the Royal Edward and died due to it being hit by a torpedo.

Regards,

Garry

There is a book on the Royal Edward with a Roll of Honour, and details both about the ship's previous "life" and the sinking.

It's "Fastest to Canada" by Richard Oliff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fastest-Canada-Gal...e/dp/1857942337

(Other online bookstores available!)

I can double check the list in there if you want me to, though Shred/Garry has already confirmed his presence aboard ship.

Steve.

Thanks Ralph, was there by any chance a mention of his address? or wifes' name? Just to confirm I am in fact searching the correct Stell. Sure I am as there only appears to be one Charles Stell born Skipton and then later in the Manchester area. As far as I know the family moved to Patricroft Eccles between 1910 and 1911.

Regards Sue

Sue,

Ancestry says there are 9 images on Ancestry for Stell who enlisted in the West Riding Regt..

Address:

52 Rowland St., Skipton.

Kath.

Thanks for the info will maybe order the book from the library. Hopefully a trip to Bury next week to dig around a little more. One more question did the LF's go to France before Gallipoli? I know they were intended for France but from what I can make out they embarked from Avonmouth in March 1915 landing Gallipoli April.

Many thanks all help

regards sue

Sue,

Ancestry says there are 9 images on Ancestry for Stell who enlisted in the West Riding Regt..

Address:

52 Rowland St., Skipton.

Kath.

Thanks Kath, hopefully I have all the info available from Ancestry, Rowland Street is the correct Stell family - gran was born there, shortly after they moved to Patricroft Eccles.

regards sue

Sue,

My Grandfather was lost on the Royal Edward:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry...olglasepage.htm

The postcard of the Royal Edward was the usual one sent home by the soldiers; do you have your Gt. Grandfather's?

Kath.

Thanks Kath, no we dont have a postcard from Gt Grandfather, only came to light this week he was possibly aboard the ship.

sue

Just to note that the Royal Edward was steaming from the UK towards Gallipoli (it was on the leg of the trip between Alexandria and Lemnos), so presumably he was rejoining his battalion after his wounding.

Steve.

Just to note that the Royal Edward was steaming from the UK towards Gallipoli (it was on the leg of the trip between Alexandria and Lemnos), so presumably he was rejoining his battalion after his wounding.

Steve.

Hi Steve apparently he was wounded and so must have been returning to his battalion, next move - when and how was he wounded?

sue

Pam,

thankyou ever so much, I hadnt seen that entry before, and a photo as well! can certainly see family resemblance. Now to find out about his previous wounding.

regards sue

Pam have just emailed "Craven's part in the great war" directly regarding the photo shown of Charles

regardssue

Sue

When you went to the Local History Centre did you check back copies of the "Eccles and Patricroft Journal" ?

If not it may be worth doing so.

Regards

Pam

Pleased that you managed to get on the Forum Susan.

As he entered the Western front theatre on 26 Jan 1915, he could have been a reinforcement for 2nd Bn. I am not sure if any other Battalions would have been in France on that date. May have been wounded whilst with them and then sent out to Gallipoli on recovery.

I have photos of the Helles Memorial but not his specific panel. Let me know if you want any images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gallipoli/

Steve M

Hi Susan,

The "cutting" I have posted is for men who died from the Lancashire Fusiliers on the Royal Edward. Charles's name is there "Stell (8179) C". So he was aboard the Royal Edward and died due to it being hit by a torpedo.

Regards,

Garry

Gary just had a peep at your page on the War Memorial in Salford and incorrect spelling of names, may have found my Charles Stell on memorial at Christ Church Liverpool Road Patricroft but inscription states C Snell!. Dad and myself are attending the service on the Crescent sunday with the Pendleton Branch of the Fusiliers which dad is a member of, a good representation is attending from Liverpool and Bury.

Regards sue

Pleased that you managed to get on the Forum Susan.

As he entered the Western front theatre on 26 Jan 1915, he could have been a reinforcement for 2nd Bn. I am not sure if any other Battalions would have been in France on that date. May have been wounded whilst with them and then sent out to Gallipoli on recovery.

I have photos of the Helles Memorial but not his specific panel. Let me know if you want any images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gallipoli/

Steve M

Thanks Steve, think I shall take a trip to Bury hopefully next week and see if I can shed any more light on the matter.

Regards Sue

The nautical location of the sinking of the Royal Edward was 36 deg, 31 mins north, 26 degs, 51 mins east. In real terms that is approx 8 miles west of the lighthouse islet of Kanhelioussa, itself lying south west of Nisyros/Nisiros in the Dodecanese islands of the Aegean Sea.

The map below (my own lines on a map of the region) plots the journey of the Royal George, the sister ship of the Royal Edward which was carrying the 1/4th Battalion of Northamptonshire Regiment, and was a few hours ahead of its sister ship. Point 1 marks the location of the sinking of the Royal Edward. Nisyros is the larger roundish island north-east of "1" beyond the two or three smaller islands, the first of which is Kanhelioussa. The line of the Royal George's voyage is only approximate but I believe the location of the sinking of the Royal Edward is shown correctly.

No 2 is Bodrum out of which UB14 captained by Oberleutnant zur See Heino von Heimburg sailed to sink the Royal Edward.

UB 14 is detailed here, but I can't guarantee the veracity of Wikipedia pages...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-14

Aegean3.jpg

Steve.