Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records on Ancestry

tgrubb

Thanks for the info - I managed to find my grandfather's RE records. The search is like so many others - less can be more sometimes. A bit of info finds the right chap, too much and it shows zilch!

Good news / bad news !!!!!

18 names extra up on the list for me 12 i knew of and a few new ones, great stuff but long nights ahead

Bob

HELP!

Why can't I do a search on the new records. I've tried the old search and the new search. If I do a search on Herbert Plested the result starts off with the names: D P Auger; P Aird; J P Alcock etc.

I'm accessing Ancestry from my favorites where I have the Ancestry Military and census sections both stored separately. I've also tried refreshing the site.

Please can someone help?

June

Looks as though there problems are with the search facilities. Appears fine on a name search only, but when I but in a regiment only it gives nothing!!!

Steve :angry2:

It's screwed up again for me.

I name this ship Ancestry.... and hearby launch it - without a rudder.... May all who sail in her be throughly cheesed off!

Steve.

Me too June, but no Herbert Plested showing up in either Service Records or pensions

Do you know anything about him at all.

Cheers Roger.

Roger

The only thing that I know about Herbert Plested is that his middle is James and he is on the War Memorial at Shabbington, Bucks. Thanks for looking.

I've just been able to gain access to the records! I realised that as well as having Mozilla Firefox 5 I also have Internet Explorer 6 and when I tried a search on the latter it worked. So there is now the problem of why doesn't it work on Firefox?

June

Looks as if they have also added De Ruvigny's and Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1918 - both browsable as well as searchable

Cheers

Sue

yes its a lot better ,found another 4 but only seems to work properly with the old search engine

Thanks for the heads up

MC

I can't get the old search engine to work at all now on Service Records. :(

Steve.

Have to agree with all the foregoing. The search function in WO 363 would appear to be screwed unless you type all of your criteria in the keyword box.

EDIT

Scrub that - you can narrow down a name by entering it in the keywords box. However, type in the man's number and you'll get zilch.

Looks as if they have also added De Ruvigny's and Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1918 - both browsable as well as searchable

Cheers

Sue

Here's an extract from the Irish Casualties. Looks like similar data to SDGW

post-1356-1257408186.jpg

I didn't have any problems finding them by name with the (new) search. I just searched by forename and surname and then looked at the addresses etc in the results table to find the one I wanted. I think in every case but one the person I was looking for was on the first page of results.

I played with the old search afterwards and that brought back better results than the new one when searching by place names.

I am still getting the same problems that I had yesterday on Firefox, so in desperation I phoned Ancestry this morning. It's a freephone number which puts you in contact with the States. 0800 404 9723. When I explained the problem it was suggested that I phoned between 3pm and 7pm when the technical support team would be available. I'll try later today.

Is anyone else using Firefox and having problems. I'm sure I can't be the only one. But it might give a clue for the technical people if they know whether it is a single user or a more general one.

June

I've just been able to gain access to the records! I realised that as well as having Mozilla Firefox 5 I also have Internet Explorer 6 and when I tried a search on the latter it worked. So there is now the problem of why doesn't it work on Firefox?

June

June

Can I check which version of Firefox you are on? The latest version that I am aware of (for Windows, Mac and many/most flavours of Linux) is 3.5.4. (Version 3.6 is available in beta.) If you are on "Firefox 5" you are possibly on some very dodgy software. If on 3.5.x you may want to check that you do not have any add-ins (such as no-script or adblock etc.) configured to inhibit something vital!

I have not noticed any "Firefox specific" problems (on 3.5.4 on Windows XP SP3 with a vast collection of add-ins) with Ancestry. Geoff's search engine however does not like my Firefox set-up so I run it in a MSIE tab in Firefox.

Internet Explorer 6 is now recognised as distinctly "non standard" (MSIE7 and MSIE8 are thought to be better) - however, Ancestry may be distinctly "non standard"!

HTH

David

June, I have to use Internet Explorer to use Ancestry. When I use Firefox I am unable to view any records at all. I click to view the record but it just keeps going round and round in circles and never actually downloads anything.

Trish.

Hi June, With regard to your post No. 33 - I have only just taken out an Ancestry subscription so its all a bit new to me, however, I found your man H J Plested in the MICs. Have you seen it? He is under H J Plested but there is a hand written note on the card that says Herbert J. He was Pte. 8187 2nd Ox and Bucks Light Inf, transferred to 3rd Royal Berks 21610 and eventually the Labour Corps 139147. He must have subsequently died to appear on your war memorial at Shabbington and indeed there is a note on the reverse of his card that says his next of kin are entitled to the 1914 clasps- this note is dated November 1921. His date of entry was 27 August 1914 so he was entitled to all of the medals. 1914 Star with clasps, Victory and British. I am sure that someone else with greater knowledge than me will enlighten us on the relevance or significance of the clasps.

J

June, I have to use Internet Explorer to use Ancestry. When I use Firefox I am unable to view any records at all. I click to view the record but it just keeps going round and round in circles and never actually downloads anything.

Trish.

Do you have the Ancestry.com Image Viewer Plugin (currently at version 1.0.0.1)? It used to be very fragile (crashing Firefox), but recently (post Firefox 3.something or when the plugin was upgraded), it has been rock solid for me (using it in Enhanced uncompressed mode). The originally plugin was offered on the Census view image page - the link does not appear on my setup now (possibly because it realises I don't need it).

I note in the Ancestry.co.uk help screens (which recommend MSIE and Firefox), the comment:

Please note: Starting in June 2009, new site features on Ancestry.co.uk will no longer be optimised for Internet Explorer 6. If you are using Internet Explorer 6, we encourage you to upgrade your browser now so that you can continue having the best possible experience on the site.

David

June

I'm not having any problems using Ancestry via Firefox.

Re Herbert Plested:

1901 Census has him in Shabbington with his family:

Household Members:

Name Age

Wm Plested 46 (Cattleman on Farm)

Elizth Plested 48

Geo Pested 23

Ernest Plested 16

Lizzie Plested 13

Puch [Puck!] Plested 11

Herbert Plested 9 - born Shabbington c. 1892 (and there is a corresponding March Q 1892 Birth entry)

Sydney Plested 7

Jercy [Percy!] Plested 3

I work about a mile from Shabbington so was going to offer to go and take a picture of the memorial, but I see from your Bucks remembers website that you already have one!

Eirian

I have no problems either with Firefox. To search, just put the name in - regiment and number don't help. Worth looking too under name and first initial if the full name doesn't bring up the right result. Some are just listed as, say, J Smith, or even Smith!

Hello all

Many thanks for your various replies. Just checked Firefox and my version is 3.0.15

Must dash to collect grandson from school and will read replies properly when I get back

June

I'm on IE7 in XP both at work and at home (enhanced Ancestry viewer at home only).

At work I can't get the Old Search Service Records search to work correctly if I attempt to use the refine search after the results list.

At home I can't get it to work at all through the Service Record search. It searches, comes up with nil results, blanks out any number/regiment entries, blanks the surname, and puts the surname in the forename cell!

I have used the search many times before with no problems. I do not usually have any problems manipulating a search engine, but this one has me exasperated to say the least.

Pension records search runs fine.

Judging by the postings above, it seems that it is not a universal problem which probably means Ancestry won't fix it. I can only wonder if it is something related to Javascripts? Bearing in mind the "Aldershot" SDGW errors and their ongoing lack of correction, I am not hopeful that Ancestry will address the issue in the next millienia.

If I take off the Exact matches only, it returns items with the surname (e.g. Smith) that appear in the forenames!

Steve.