Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records on Ancestry

tgrubb

Hi

I haven't actually searched the service records for my remaining men - but if my eyes aren't deceiving me, Ancestry is stating that all service records are now up

Tim

It certainly looks like some records have been put up recently, but just on my small sample of names, the coverage is patchy at best.

Time to dig out the old lists again, though, all the same.

Edit: a quick search of the names I had brought no results, but searching by place name was more successful, turning up one man I knew of, and three names I knew nothing of before. I'm hoping this is a phased release and not the end of it all there are huge holes in the listings and, sadly, the indexing is still rough.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just found my Granddad. No rest tonight when I get home from work.

Mark

Definitely been updated and Ancestry claim the database is now complete -

"About British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II. With the final release, this database now contains the entire service records collection. The type of information contained in these records includes: name of solider, age, birthplace, occupation, marital status, and regiment number."

John

At long last :D . I Know what I'll be doing for the next week or so now.

Don't get your hopes up - i've just spent the last hour looking and none of my remaining men appear to be there. In fact there are so few Prettys, Pressnells, Wheatleys and Swans I am beginning to wonder exactly what Ancestry has loaded....

Tim

They've definitely loaded a substantial number of records. One of my previous search criteria returned 623 hits, now returns about 1200.

But it would appear that there are also some additions to the previously published A-N range, so it might be worth rechecking those which you have failed to find on earlier searches

Good news, but there's definitely something wrong with the search function.

e.g. from the Ancestry.co.uk home page, type WRIGHT in the Last Name box and hit Return. It shows hits in all sections including 7,196 under Service Records (good so far - used to be about 3!). Click on "British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920" and it shows you the first 10 hits. Then go down to the Refine Your Search bit, and again type WRIGHT in the Last Name box and hit Return. This time it comes back with only 455 hits, and these appear to be men with Wright as one their forenames!

Entering First Name Albert, Last Name Wright, gives no hits even though one of the first hits of the 7,196 was an Albert WRIGHT! (And entering Albert WRIGHT from the home page gives 253 hits in Service Records...)

Would someone be kind enough to double-check this, please? But I think the Search within the Service Records section is b*ggered!

Adrian

This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II.

Does this mean that if someone re-enlisted after 1920 but came out before 1939 - ie no ww2 medal entitlement etc, then they won't be listed? Anyone know if there is any figures out there about this.

Regards

Matt

Adrian

This mirrors exactly what I was finding. My searches on surnames were bringing back only hits on first or middle names.

Tim

Thanks for the confirmation, Tim!

Actually, go into the Service Records section and enter anything you like in the First Name box, e.g. Fred, leaving Last Name blank. How many results? None for me!

Adrian

Good news, but there's definitely something wrong with the search function.

e.g. from the Ancestry.co.uk home page, type WRIGHT in the Last Name box and hit Return. It shows hits in all sections including 7,196 under Service Records (good so far - used to be about 3!). Click on "British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920" and it shows you the first 10 hits. Then go down to the Refine Your Search bit, and again type WRIGHT in the Last Name box and hit Return. This time it comes back with only 455 hits, and these appear to be men with Wright as one their forenames!

Entering First Name Albert, Last Name Wright, gives no hits even though one of the first hits of the 7,196 was an Albert WRIGHT! (And entering Albert WRIGHT from the home page gives 253 hits in Service Records...)

Would someone be kind enough to double-check this, please? But I think the Search within the Service Records section is b*ggered!

Adrian

Adrian - I've had the same "fun" too. Typical Ancestry fiasco in my books!!

I've got over 100 medals to Turner and not one is listed. I've been waiting 18 months for this anticlimax <_<

How did anyone know these records were supposed to have been added? My Ancestry Home page and the Military page still say that the Service records are "updated to N" and there is no notification of any additions. I've tried the refresh button and this makes no difference. I've got the same problems as everyone else when doing a search.

If you change back to the 'old' search does this change the census pages too, or just the Military?

June

Hi there,

I have just checked my grandads William Thompson and its there, although I already had a copy of it about 2 1/2 years ago, I just thought I'd check, now to check some others.

Maybe just maybe we have got through to them as I have written to them voicing disapproval.

Cheers Roger.

(On old search) I cannot search on Regiment and/or number. It always returns no records. They've f*#%£d it up again it seems ....

I would say unbelievable.... but it's not.

Steve.

I can't find any records at all if I seach on "regiment", but using the old search it brings up thousands.

I may be way for some time...

It seems that the search that comes up at the bottom of the results is the one that is not working. The front page (old) search appears ok - notwithstanding the Indexing!

Steve.

I only tend to use the old search anyway and just checked using Y&L and its brought 2485 of them up.

Cheers Roger.