Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Australians at Suvla Bay"

judy7007

Hi All

.... Numerous Newfoundlanders buried at Suvla also.

Cheers

Ian

Compared to the Western Front, really relatively few - what, about 40 odd all told, with several 'unknown' and therefore on the BH Memorial and maybe a dozen or more buried off the peninsula, eg on the islands, Malta or Egypt. Not, of course, to denigrate them, but there are not all that many of them and not all that surprising either, considering that the regt did not arrive in theatre until offensive activity had all but dried up.

On my last visit to Gallipoli we went to Suvla albeit briefly, and due to my limited knowledge of the ops there (bit better now though) I was surprised to see a few Canadian flags below the headstones, which drew my attention to the Newfoundlanders, of which I knew nothing. Someone had paid a most respectful visit me thinks. And much fewer Australians there of course by way of those buried there. Have started getting a good education on the Suvla ops from some very switched on members of this site. THANKS

Ian

I was surprised to see a few Canadian flags below the headstones, which drew my attention to the Newfoundlanders, of which I knew nothing. Someone had paid a most respectful visit me thinks.

Ian

Somewhat tongue in cheek, not so sure that the Newfoundlanders there would be totally thrilled to be remembered by a Canadian flag; politically they were completely independent of Canada at the time of the Great War and it is something of an anomaly that there is no option on the CWGC website for 'Newfoundland' for the nationality bit. On the other hand, good to see them recognised now that Canada has joined Newfoundland :) .

Yes am aware of that, but nevertheless am sure the relatives pleased they made the pilgrimage all the same. An interesting area of the Gallipoli campaign.

On the subject of Australians at Suvla ,let us not forget the contribution of Commander Sir Leighton Seymour Bracegirdle and the

300 strong contingent of the Royal Australian Naval Bridging Train.

They were among the last to leave on Dec. 20th. 1915 after setting charges.

One member is buried in Hill 10 Cemetery and Two are remembered on the Lone Pine Memorial wall.

Peter

Another member of the Royal Australian Naval Bridging Train died on Lemnos in August 1915 and is buried in the East Mudros Military cemetery.

Regarding the Newfoundlanders, try this (archived) site: http://web.archive.o...li/default.html

Books:

Cramm, R. The First Five Hundred. Being a Historical Sketch of the Military Operations of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in Gallipoli and on the Western Front during The Great War (1914-1918) together with the individual military records and photographs where obtainable of the men of the First Contingent, known as the "The First Five Hundred," or "The Blue Puttees.", Albany, New York, C. F. Williams & Son, c. 1921.

Gallishaw, J. Trenching at Gallipoli. A Personal Narrative of a Newfoundlander with the Illfated Dardanelles Expedition, New York, A.L. Burt Co., 1916.

Stacey, A. J. Memoirs of a Blue Puttee: The Newfoundland Regiment in the Great War, St. John's, Newfoundland, DRC Publishers, 2002.

On the topic of mis-named geographic references, don't forget that Eric Bogle's song also contains the line, "so they gave me a tin hat' - which they didn't.

One song that got it right, by Dr. Charles Souter, of Adelaide, first performed in January 1917, was this, at : http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-vn5716123

The song refers to Anzac, the place, rather than the military formation (A&NZAC).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

A couple of War Diary entries which may be of interest.

XI Division Administration War Diary:

Imbros 3.8 (3rd August)

"R Aust Naval Bridging Train attached to Division. Embarkation on motor lighter practices."

XI Division 35 Field Ambulance War Diary:

Suvla Bay 9.8.15

"Unit remained in same position and dealt with 35 officers and 920 other ranks who were evacuated to Hospital Ships by boat. In order to load boats the Bearers worked in about 2 1/2 feet of water. During the course of the day three ambulance waggons were brought into use along the NORTERN (sic) shore of SALT LAKE. This greatly relieved the pressure on the Bearers. The day was oppressively hot and water scarce and the men had a trying time. At the dressing station water was obtained from ships. During the afternoon a pontoon pier was put together by details of an Australian Corps. This proved a great convenience."

Kind regards

Alan

• 6 months later...

On 28th August 2nd the 1/4th Bn Norfolk Regt crossed the Bay to Lala Baba, where 2nd Lt Robert Eden Burrell was soon in trouble.

"Eden got wrong because the trenches weren’t far off, the Turks you know. And one of the Australians came up there and he got killed, because Eden made a mistake and, you know, the grenade burst so that killed this Australian.”

Pte John ‘Jack’ Edward Lock G (1914) Coy, 1/4th Bn, Norfolk Regt

The unfortunate Australian may have been L/ Cpl Herbert John Peters, C Coy, 8th Light Horse Regt, mentioned in #50.

Looks like I do not need to add any more about the Royal Australian Naval Bridging Train or the Australian scouts and snipers that were used at Suvla, but of interest was Gilly100's mention of the Newfoundlanders. When I was there last month each Newfoundland grave had a Newfoundland flag instead, so looks like a party from 'Newfoundland' had visited. For those who are not familiar with the old flag, here is one:

post-1114-0-86649900-1375950662_thumb.pn

Thanks for that Steve

Nice to see it corrected. Ties run deep no doubt!

Cheers

Ian

The current Newfoundland flag is not the one used during the war, though. From 1904 to 1965, this was the flag:

Newfoundland_Red_Ensign.png

More info here: