Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who What When and Why of Hood Battn 9.11.18

ttrevorm

As this is my first time on this forum please forgive me if I do or say the wrong thing ( You know how us colonials are....).

On to business, my GF R 6556 Arthur Cardwell RNVR served with the Hood Battalion 1918-1920.

He was wounded on 9.11.1918.

Any information on what battle occurred and where would be great.

How do I check if his MM is correct.... I mean both his Victory and BW Medal are correctly engraved, but the MM we have is another name.

Any help would be muchly appreciated as there are not too many options here in OZ.

P.S. dont mention the cricket thanks.

UBIQUE

Thanks Moly

Until the experts get here, some bits from a casual observer. Royal Naval Divisions were men who were in the Royal Navy but served as infantry. They manned the trenches and took part in some great actions. For a lot more info you ought to go to The Long Long Trail link at the top of the page.

Hi Moly, welcome to the Forum. As another casual observer I would suggest searching the London Gazette on-line for info on the name on the MM. It is free to search but can be a bit of a pain. Have a go. You might be lucky. Good luck with your research. You might also want to leave a message on the naval bit of the Forum just in case there are people who never venture on to 'dry land'. Regards Sue

Len Sellers in his book "The Hood Battalion" sums up those November days as follows:

"On 8 November the Allies pushed forward towards the Aulnois-Mons railway: the Hood spent part of the day in a railway cutting whilst the Drake advanced, and later moved into the town of Witheries. The local inhabitants produced valuable information on 9 November: the Germans had evacuated a number of villages, and appeared to be in general retreat in a bad state of demoralisation. The Hood moved to Havay on 10 November, going into billets at 6pm with the news that they were to attack the next day. They duly advanced, taking two objectives, and were advancing on the village of Givry, near Mons, when the Armistice took effect at 11am."

If the MM does not have his name on it, it is not his. What name is on it? Download his RND record card here and it will tell you if he won the MM:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

The Hood war diary shows "Casualties - NIL" for 9, 10 and 11 November 1918, but 39 OR casualties on 7 November (no entry for 8 November). However, his record card should give his date of wounding - most likely to have been 7 or 8 November.

On the 7 November Hood action, Sellers writes:

"The 189 Bde successfully relieved 168 Bde by 5am on 7 November, and lined up for an attack at 9am. The Hood led the attack, advancing on the Bois d'Audregnies and capturing the main part of it by 11am. Enemy counter-attacks were repelled as the Drake leap-frogged the Hood to a second objective, and the advance continued..."

This was last major Hood action of the war.

G day Horatio2,

Thanks for the detailed feed back and book reference.

I appreciate the engraving may not be my GF service details, but if the family legend is correct he picked up the MM for the same action that took his leg 9.11.18.Hence my interest in the details.

As much as I am warmed by the story I have a greater need for the truth.The common explaination to the mismatched medal details is that it was lost then replaced by a "second hand"medal.

If you can help the details on the MM are 2329 PTE J BRADLEY..............These are the only legible characters on the medal. There are other makings after the name but not enough to make sense out off.

Good luck moly.

Thanks all I now have a copy of the service record.

I am not sure of the follwing entry

7.9.18 HOOD.74.Joined Bn23.8.18

20.11.18 HA/31626 Adm.2 Can.GH Le Treport 9.11.18 GSW Ankle Leg L.AMP

NOK Infd. RND List NO.1342.

All I understand is the injury and result.

Cheers Moly

I am sure a medal card expert will help with a look-up to see if there is an army MM with that name and number. I cannot find a MM in the name of Cardwell in the London Gazette.

7.9.18 HOOD.74.Joined Bn23.8.18 This states his date of joining Hood Battalion - 23 August 1918

20.11.18 HA/31626 Adm.2 Can.GH Le Treport 9.11.18 GSW Ankle Leg L.AMP This states he was admitted to 2nd Canadian General Hospital at Le Treport on 9 November 1918 with a gunshot wound to the ankle resulting in amputation of his left leg.

NOK Infd. RND List NO.1342. His next-of-kin was informed and he was included on RND casualty list No.1342.

If he was admitted to Le Treport hospital on 9 November, this lends weight to his being wounded a couple of days before that, allowing for transit time.

Does his card include the MM?

I see now the time line for his injury would have more likely to have been the 7.11.18 as per your reference.

Well done Horatio2!

G day Sue,

Your directions are still valued as I will venture there another evening so Cheers.

As for Arthur Carwells Service Card the only mention of anh thing isued is "King's Certificate on Discharge"

In that case it is pratically certain that he was NOT awarded the Military Medal and he was merely in possession (for whatever reason) of the medal awarded to Pte J Bradley, whoever he was. Such awards were invariably entered on the RNDRC.

As much as I liked the family legend I must agree that it seems very unlikely to be true.

I used the Archive site and scored a hit with

2329 PTE J BRADLEY NOTTINGHAMSHIRE YEOMANRY SHERWOOD RANGERS.

Are there organisations that track down living relatives to reunite them with lost medals of Kin.

Thanks indeed to all who have helped so far.

Moly.

Welcome to the Forum Moly

The medals sub forum is in the Uniforms, Arms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals section. Unless he had service before joining the RNVR, I agree it looks unlikely that he earned the MM himself. But I cannot find a relevent Medal Index Card with an 'A' Cardwell although; it must be said that these are not complete.

Here are Bradley's medal cards at the UK National Archives, someon with Ansestry will probably locate at least one of them, so you don't need to download them.

Medal card of Bradley, Joseph

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire Yeomanry 23297 Private

Sherwood Rangers 2329 Private

Corps of Hussars 275624 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Medal card of Bradley, J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Sherwood Rangers 2329 Private

Piece = Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Cardwell's 'R' number in the RNVR shows that he was conscripted through the national/army system, perhaps as early as 1917 but not called forward for service until 1918. To know for sure you would need to see his army and RNVR attestations which are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Armed with great advise from a lot of people I found a reference in the London Gazette 29893 06/01/1917 that clearly lists 2329 Pte J Bradley as receiving the MM. I also did not find any record of A Cardwell.

Thanks for the list of matching service personnel. does this mean it could be the same person or is it possible I cannot make out the hidden detail on the actual medal.

Sorry to trouble you all.