Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who What When and Why of Hood Battn 9.11.18

ttrevorm

Cardwell's 'R' number in the RNVR shows that he was conscripted through the national/army system, perhaps as early as 1917 but not called forward for service until 1918. To know for sure you would need to see his army and RNVR attestations which are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Again you are on the money for it says Date of entry ARMY RESERVE 18/10/16

RNVR 8/4/18

Thanks for the list of matching service personnel. does this mean it could be the same person or is it possible I cannot make out the hidden detail on the actual medal.

Sorry to trouble you all.

Yes, the transcription first card shows Sherwood Rangers 2329 Private and the second card gives the second card gives those details.

Glad to help.

I am very grateful indead of all the assistance I have had this evening from all concerned.

I am not sure of what the correct protocol is to thank every body , but if its a warm smile and a nod of the head you sure have got one from me.

Thanks Moly.

His Medal Index Card for his campaign medals is on Ancestry: Joseph Bradley qualified for a 1914-15 Star Trio, after landing in Egypt on 10 August 1915.

On the 7 November Hood action, Sellers writes:

"The 189 Bde successfully relieved 168 Bde by 5am on 7 November, and lined up for an attack at 9am. The Hood led the attack, advancing on the Bois d'Audregnies and capturing the main part of it by 11am. Enemy counter-attacks were repelled as the Drake leap-frogged the Hood to a second objective, and the advance continued..."

This was last major Hood action of the war.

A little more background relating to the events of the 7th Nov can be found in the records of the 56th (London) Division who were on thr right of the RND on that day.

63rd RND (189 Brigade) relieved 168th Brigade. 56th Division now on single brigade front with 11th Division on the right.

56th Division take Onnezies, cross the River Le Petite Honnelles and take Monignies.

On the night of 10th Nov the 63rd RND relieved the 56th Div near Harvengt.

Bob

PS The weather was awful, just like England today!.

QUOTE (Bob B @ Oct 25 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little more background relating to the events of the 7th Nov can be found in the records of the 56th (London) Division who were on thr right of the RND on that day.

63rd RND (189 Brigade) relieved 168th Brigade. 56th Division now on single brigade front with 11th Division on the right.

56th Division take Onnezies, cross the River Le Petite Honnelles and take Monignies.

On the night of 10th Nov the 63rd RND relieved the 56th Div near Harvengt.

Bob

PS The weather was awful, just like England today!.