Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Soldiers (Unit?) with Arisaka Rifles

4thGordons

Black buttons, bright buttons, square pockets, rounded pockets, and sleeve badges only Grumpy will know about. Nice photo.

Alan

• 3 years later...

Thank you one and all for all this information. This has been greatly appreciated....When my 2/19 LN marked Arisaka bayonet arrives, it will certainly be an interesting talking point...

• 7 years later...

HI All,

I inherited a sporterized Arisaka Carbine 7mm from my grandfather who lived in Maine, USA in the 1980's. He had used it hunting deer and thought it was a Mauser. In any case, after doing some research with the new thing called the internet, I found out it was a Mexicana Republica 1913 Arisaka Carbine. Thanks to the help of Frank Allen and a US Marine who restored the carbine, it is looking more like it may have looked during WWI.

My main question....The Carbine also has markings on the tang. I was told they were British Markings. Can anyone Identify the markings? I think someone said the "2 GR" is Y/GR is the Gloucestershire Yeomanry Cavalry. But not sure.

Here are some images, followed by images of the carbine in its sporterized look. Thanks!

P1010055.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010058.JPG

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG

P1010063.JPG

tang markings.JPG

mauser1_jpg.jpg

mauser5_jpg.jpg

Francis Allan is most real the researcher in that area, the Mexican Arisaka are the rarest of the Arisaka rifles, i saw any bayonets for it. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Very interesting piece! Without double checking, as I am in the middle of cooking(!), Y is certainly a Yeomanry mark, and GR looks fine for Gloucestershire.