Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Hone

As part of my voluntary work in the archives of the new Fusilier Museum in Bury I have decided to build up databases about some of the Great War Lancashire Fusilier battalions which haven't yet been extensively researched. I am starting with 1/5th Battalion, which, particularly in the Gallipoli campaign, was almost entirely composed of men from the immediate Bury area. As a result I already have details and photographs of many of the men who fell from the research for my Bury Virtual War Memorial. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who has any information about soldiers who served with this battalion or any other information about it.

Mark,

An interesting project, but how will you differentiate between men who served in the 1/5th & 2/5th (or possibly both)? Will you have to discount any men that you can't positively link to the 1/5th?

Ken

As part of my voluntary work in the archives of the new Fusilier Museum in Bury I have decided to build up databases about some of the Great War Lancashire Fusilier battalions which haven't yet been extensively researched. I am starting with 1/5th Battalion, which, particularly in the Gallipoli campaign, was almost entirely composed of men from the immediate Bury area. As a result I already have details and photographs of many of the men who fell from the research for my Bury Virtual War Memorial. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who has any information about soldiers who served with this battalion or any other information about it.

Hi Mark.

I would be very interested in your project. My wife and I are intending to visit the Bury Museum, partly to find out a bit more about the "5th battalion" because the service record of one of my wife's ancestors who was in the RMLI states he was granted 50 days' "former service" on 4.12.1915 with the "Army 5th battalion Lancs Fusiliers" (even though he had enlisted in the Navy back in 1903). The December date coincides with a note elsewhere in his record that states "Gallipoli from 4.12.1915 to 8.1.1916". I believe the additonal service was credited on a doubling up basis so presumably he was with the 5th Lancs until the end of December 1915 and then withdrew with the rest of the RND in January 1916. However, I have learnt to be careful with presumptions so I can't really be sure he was even out there (that's why I'm interested in finding out more about the movements of 5 Lancs around that time), although the rest of his record appears to be classic RND, being injured on the Ancre in 1916, which ultimately led to his invalidity discharge some months later. He was in Portsmouth Division which I believe became 2RM in 1916.

Prior to his attachment to 5 Lancs he appears to have been on HMS Iron Duke (since March 1914). I guess there may have been other Marines attached? I presume they were reinforcements?? You may already be fully aware of all this but I thought I would mention it from a slightly different perspective.

Regards.

Reg

Thanks for the replies. Ken-I'm eventually hoping to cover 1/5th, 2/5th and 3/5th. I must admit that I haven't investigated the arcana of service numbers etc to differentiate between men who served in which one. My first port of call is those who died together with the wounded and others recorded in the pages of the Bury Times and Guardian. As you may know, a lot of TA records went up in smoke when the Castle Armoury in Bury was accidentally set on fire by the Home Guard in the Second World War!

Don-I'll be interested to find about more about your relative.

I already have photos and details of most of the 1/5th's Gallipoli dead for my Bury Virtual War Memorial project, which was just being moved to a new server and about to go live when the CWGC decided to banjax all the links to their site.

Hi Mark

You probably have a copy locally, but in Preston Library there is a book of Lancashire Fusiliers who died in WW1.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hello Mark,

Seems we had the same idea in looking for Bury men. I have recently composed a list of 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers with the help of fellow researcher Rod Gibson. Sources are: The Roll of Honour in Gibbons book the 42nd Division, CWGC and SDGW. Still adding medal roll and service record notes. I believe that the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2/5th, 3/5th, 9th, 10th and 12th Bns were raised in Bury also. The link to the list is:

https://sites.google.com/site/unsworthpolewarmemorial/unsworth-war-memorial/Home/1-5th-lancashire-fusiliers-ww1-roll-of-honour

Regards,

Laura Vizard.

Hi Mark

I think there are quite a few of the 1/5th, 2/5th, 3/5th men who came from just down the road in Bolton. If you are interested i'm more than happy to spend a few hours in the town archive going through the local newspapers to find photos and articles about the men?

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

Mark........Fingers x'd you are still watching this?

Had a request from an elderly neighbour for info on this chap (Great Grandfather in law:

BUNN, ALBERT

Service No:1767

Date of Death:06/06/1915

Regiment/Service:Lancashire Fusiliers

1st/5th Bn.

Panel ReferencePanel 58 to 72 or 218 to 219.

Memorial:HELLES MEMORIAL

He is a Bury lad with family still in the area (Radcliffe) and he is remembered on the Unsworth Pole War Memorial.

Can you shed more light on this chap?

Andy,

Andy, the library in Radcliffe has the Radcliffe Times newspaper on microfilm. It would be worth having a look there to see if he was mentioned, look around about a month or so after his death date.

Duncan

Duncan,

Cheers for the prompt...............Almost forgot we had a library in Radcliffe. That should give me something to do tomorrow. Thanks!

Some 25 local soldiers (Littleborough Lancs) were KIA or DoW whilst serving with 1/5, 2/5 or 3/5 LF. Details can be found at Touchstones Rochdale but you could also PM for my information if required.

We have also 'discovered' records about certain soldiers who survived which will be shared with the Fusiliers Museum at Bury. I will check these out next week.

Bernard

Bernard,

If I am to assume you are into battalion war diaries, would you have detail on the 1/5th LF activities c06 Jun 15?

Had a quick look at Touchstones Rochdale but couldn't find any details. Could you supply me with a link?

I was going to post his photograph and obituary details from the 'Bury Times Memorial Book' but for technical reasons too tedious to go into I'm not able to do so at present. I hope to rectify this next week. An original of this can be seen at Bury Local studies library. There will be a fuller obit for him in the Bury Times issue a couple of weeks after he was killed (available on microfilm at Bury Local studies).

On 6th June 1915 1/5th were involved in the Third Battle of Krithia (started 4th June) during which the battalion lost 130 men. Full details can be found in the excellent LF Regimental history, copies of which are held by several local libraries.

Bernard,

If I am to assume you are into battalion war diaries, would you have detail on the 1/5th LF activities c06 Jun 15?

Had a quick look at Touchstones Rochdale but couldn't find any details. Could you supply me with a link?

The Calandar of Moves show

"3rd June to 11th June - Krithia Nullah; attack 4th June"

I don't have the Diary for the Battalion but other members may have more details.

Touchstones in Rochdale has the Rochdale Times and Rochdale Observer on Microfilm. Best to book a reader before you visit.

Bernard

As Albert Bunn came from Bury I can't see the point of looking at Rochdale records. He will be in the Bury Times Memorial Book for 1914/15 with a more detailed obituary in the relevant 1915 issue of that newspaper (or the 'Bury Guardian' which was the Conservative paper and had better photo reproduction). These can be consulted in Bury Local history library. Unfortunately for technical reasons I don't have access to his record on my database at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Did the microfilm at Radcliffe this morning, very painful! Didn't find my man so can only assume he is in Bury on some media archive.

Yes-all you need to do is to get a hard copy of the Bury and District Memorial Book from the main Bury Local Studies library as I described in post 17. If he is there there there will be a more detailed obit in the 'Bury Times' for 1915 which you can access on microfilm. As I also point out there is the fall back of the now-defunct 'Bury Guardian' which had better quality photos and can also be studied on microfilm. Without getting into a long, involved story I'm afraid that I can't access the page of the Memorial Book that Albert Bunn is on at the moment. Any other page I could and would already have posted! As also stated in my earlier post the excellent LF Regimental history has a detailed account of the Third Battle of Krithia which you can read in the local studies library. If I hadn't been away from home I would have sorted this out for you last week.

Mark,

I am prepared to pop into Bury and view said book. Is the book and in particular the section/page on Albert Bunn something that I may be able to print off?

You can photocopy stuff there but it might be easier to take a digital photo. They were OK about it when I did this a few years ago but the policy may have changed. A team of pupils and I actually did high-res scans using a scanner/printer but we accidentally missed one double page of the 1914-15 edition. Guess which one? I've subsequently taken a digital photo of it but can't lay my hands on it at the moment,

Andy, you can get pages printed off, from memory it's about a quid or so. The place is opposite the Lancashire Fusiliers new museum on Silver Street. I hope that your experience is better than mine. I was told that no such book exists, but plainly it does. The micro-film readers are downstairs. The set up is directly behind the desks that the librarian's work from and as the readers are motorised and make a noise expect swift glances off the pair of them as they discuss what they were with that weekend. Also if the image is too small ask them to change the lens in the reader. Avoid the French woman who works there, she can't be arsed, unless I caught her on a bad day :wacko:

Roger that. That's very useful. I am thinking of popping into the Museum with a view to getting a slice of the war diary for the period of Jun 15.

Can you give me a good point of contact? I

Rammy,

Cheers for the warning order. If I get any hassle I will remind the staff that my Council Tax pays their wages and they are to supply a service. Vive La France!!

Andy, Just pop in and have a word, there is a fee but it will be well worth it. I work in Radcliffe, on Irwell street,

and have been thinking about popping into the library to see the Radcliffe times. Did they let you photograph it? The memorial opposite the town hall is a big challenge, one I feel like getting stuck into when I return from France in September.

Duncan