Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Hone

Duncan,

I was in the library this morning(I reside in Radcliffe at the moment). If you wish to print 'work' off then you must complete a form which is passed to Bury who then print off and mail out to your supplied address. I was looking at the Radcliffe Times for the period 1915, which is on microfilm. Beyond that I am not sure what other media is there and what can be photocopied.

Agreed the Radcliffe Memorial is a bit of a challenge. Have you tried this: https://sites.google...r-memorial/Home

Hi Mark,

You may probably have seen my article in the Medal News magazine of a few years ago, concerning a former member of the 1/5th Bn L.F.'s, William Hooper Jones. He went to Gallipoli with the battalion as a Sgt and was wounded in August, 1915. He attained the rank of CSM prior to being commissioned into tne Northumberland Fusiliers in late 1917.

He survived the war, but enlisted into the Auxiliaries in 1920 to serve in Ireland. Sadly he was killed by the IRA in the Macroom Ambush, 28th November 1920.

If this is of interest and you would like a copy, perhaps you could let me know.

Robert

Robert-yes very interested. Andy-the museum does not have a copy of 1/5th War Diary although it does have accounts of the Gallipoli period written by one of the subalterns George Horridge and published in the regimental journal. You'll have to enquire about access for researchers and cost at the front desk.

Robert-yes very interested.

Mark, if you PM me your 'snail-mail' address I will send you a copy.

Robert

Hi I'm currently trying to find out more information regarding my great grand father sgt Ellis Morris 1/5th Lancs Fusiliers 202297 (He won a DCM in WW1) - I can supply scans of the origional sitations for the DCM (Won for actions in France rather than Gallapoli) I also have his medals and whistle. The DCM sitation details names and numbers of solidiers who participated in an assault on a German patrol in Femy Woods (I presume near Marseille but can't find any record of this place) - and also that one private Grimshaw was killed in the assault

My family know very little of my great grand fathers experience's in WW1 (he apparently never spoke of it) I knew that he was in Egypt at some point (we have numerous Egyptian items brought back) it's only recently that I found out he most likley served in Gallaopli.

I would be very interested in any information you have? Would you like copies of the DCM sitation (can I send you an email?)

I'm planning to visit the Lancs Fus museum in Bury - I'm I likley to be able to discover anything further here? maybe even some service records?

Many Thanks

Paulpost-91556-0-09551500-1343380513_thumb.j

The Museum doesn't have service records or (many) war diaries but they do have a good archive of magazine articles etc. in which individuals are mentioned. As I comment in Post 28 the ones for 1/5th in the regimental journal were usually written by George Horridge, who, lo and behold, turns out to be the patrol commander when your great-grandfather won the DCM! As I have also mentioned in several previous posts, the LF Regimental History is very detailed and usually lists winners of awards after the description of particular actions. I shall check Volume One (which i don't have at home) for mention of this patrol.

I did a little bit of research today but could find no mention of the raid either in the Regimental History or the detailed account of 1/5th's activities during the period from the 'Lancashire Fusiliers Annual 1918' The annual laconically notes that most of June 1917 was spent in the Havrincourt area (near Cambrai) 'a relatively quiet sector'. The raid took place while the battalion was in the lines at Trescault. During mid-1917 the British lines just outside Trescault faced north and Femy Wood lies between them and the town of Havrincourt, held by the Germans. Most of the wood was in No-Man's Land with the Germans entrenched in the north-eastern corner.The 2nd July 1917 British trench map records the area of the wood between the lines as 'Trees felled and ground cleared by the Enemy'. Private Charles Grimshaw from Wardle in Rochdale is buried at nearby Ruyaulcourt Cemetery, not one I have ever visited:

GRIMSHAW, C

Rank: Private Service No: 203300 Date of Death: 13/06/1917 Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers 1st/5th Bn. Grave Reference B. 6. Cemetery RUYAULCOURT MILITARY CEMETERY

I would be interested in any material that you have.

Hi Guys,

Is there a link available to the Bury Virtual War Memorial?

I would like to post it on the Gallipoli Association Forum but don't seem to be able to find it.

Regards,

Mal

Unfortunately I lost the host provider and haven't fixed it up on another one. The database was constructed by a former pupil and I need to liaise with him to get it up and running again. I had completed 1914-16 when it went down. There were around 300 Gallipoli dead on it.

Thanks Mark,

I have an extensive database of the Irish (and members of Irish Regiments) who died at Gallipoli myself so I understand the work that goes into it.

The best of luck with revamp.

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

I have been doing research in to the 42 men who lived in the Parish of St Michaels, Bamford, Rochdale and are named on the Parish war memorial on Bury and Rochdale Old Road ( opposite the junction with Queens Park Road from Heywood). 8 of the 42 were named soldiers belonged to the 1/5th LF, 7 of them died in Galipoli.

I have pictures of these men from the Heywood Advertiser ,they are printed from the Microfish at Heywood Library but they are of poor quality I am endevouring to get a better quality image from other sources.

There were a number of other men who were in the 1/5th from Heywood and their deaths, during the Galipoli Campaign, I think caused quite a stir in the Town.

If I can improve the picture images I will send them to you.

Best wishes with the project.

Richard

• 1 year later...

I am investigating Ted Hughes fathers role in the Great War. I believe he served in the 1/5 LF at Gallipoli and won a DCM possibly for his actions in the Ypres salient.

I wonder if anyone may have any information concerning LF DCM winners and in particular William Henry Hughes?

Thanks

David

• 5 years later...

Hi I’m trying to find out some info of a great uncle George Sheldon he was in Lancashire Fusiliers 202289 his service records destroyed in ww2 I have got his medal card trying to find out where he served 

I am researching the following Lancashire Fusilier.

Can anyone tell me if he is commemorated by name on a local war memorial?

William Crabtree

(1)  8251 Private - Lance Corporal, 6th (Reserve) Lancashire Fusiliers

(2)  8251 Private, 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers

(3)  6544 Private, 5th (Reserve) Lancashire Fusiliers

(4)  203416 Private, 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers

Born Rochdale, Lancashire, c.1891.

Occupation cotton mill labourer, Era Mill Company, Rochdale.

Enlisted Territorial Army, Rochdale, 1910.

Arrived Alexandria, Egypt, 25th Sept 1914.

Landed V Beach, Gallipoli, 5th May 1915.

Wounded twice, Gallipoli, 1915.

Arrived France Feb 1917.

Killed in action during brigade attack on Borry farm, Frezenberg Ridge, Belgium, 6th Sept 1917, age 26.

Buried Bedford House Cemetery, Zillebeke, Belgium.

Mark

William Crabtree (Rochdale Observer).PNG

Headstone (BWG).JPG

• 6 months later...

I would be grateful if someone could give me information - or links to information- about Sgt.Harry Taylor, serial no.200173.  Sgt.Taylor was Mentioned in Dispatches but I haven't been able to find out anything about the context in which this MiD was awarded.

Harry Taylor was born in Bury on 6.9.1894.  He died there on 25.7.1965.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

28 minutes ago, Radcliffe said:

I would be grateful if someone could give me information - or links to information- about Sgt.Harry Taylor, serial no.200173.

He has a Service Record, here on FindmyPast

There are some interesting bits of paper within this but no detail as to why he was awarded MiD, just a note that Certificate was sent. He was promoted in 1916 Sgt (cook) and served from 1914-1919 with the 1/5th so could it have been for general good long active service .

There is a claim by him for the TFEM (Territorial Force Efficience Medal) but it seems to have been disallowed due to a 10 day gap in pre-war service.

Charlie

There seems to have been a muddle over his Mention.

London Gazette has 200096 H Taylor here 12/1/1920

But 200173 Service file shows that it was incorrectly 200096 and should be 200173.

2055071679_GWFTaylorFLancsFusMiD.JPG.b15f06722dd157fc051c7a49969ee43f.JPG

See Service file for related correspondence.

The header of the London Gazette says this:

1653820544_GWFTaylorFLancsFusMiD2.JPG.ce9d656b7dbb86e88fbaeb85e6c930b8.JPG

So I think it is a general catch up of War Service.

Edited by charlie962

Hello

On my website for the local men of Clayton le woods and Whittle le Woods I have -

Herbert Stirzaker - found as of 18 May 2020

Reg no: 53658

1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers

I found him by a fluke as I was searching the Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry ) dated 22 October 1918

And found his surname and initial and number under the Lancashire Fusiliers wounded section after a long  time sifting through

I believe he survived the War

John

13 hours ago, charlie962 said:

He has a Service Record, here on FindmyPast

There are some interesting bits of paper within this but no detail as to why he was awarded MiD, just a note that Certificate was sent. He was promoted in 1916 Sgt (cook) and served from 1914-1919 with the 1/5th so could it have been for general good long active service .

There is a claim by him for the TFEM (Territorial Force Efficience Medal) but it seems to have been disallowed due to a 10 day gap in pre-war service.

Charlie

There seems to have been a muddle over his Mention.

London Gazette has 200096 H Taylor here 12/1/1920

But 200173 Service file shows that it was incorrectly 200096 and should be 200173.

2055071679_GWFTaylorFLancsFusMiD.JPG.b15f06722dd157fc051c7a49969ee43f.JPG

See Service file for related correspondence.

The header of the London Gazette says this:

1653820544_GWFTaylorFLancsFusMiD2.JPG.ce9d656b7dbb86e88fbaeb85e6c930b8.JPG

So I think it is a general catch up of War Service.

Thanks Charlie.  Harry's grandson has shown me the MiD, which contains the correct serial number.  In the absence of any secondary evidence, it seems likely that his award was for good conduct.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I’m new to this but I would love to know more about my great grandfather. All I have is this file below that my dads Aunty was able to find out. I also have my great grandfather on my dads side that I would love to know more about, but unfortunately I only have a name for him.

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼😊 

98AF7BC9-F1A2-475D-853B-350C1129D4D8.jpeg